Forums Latest Members
  1. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

I am completely new to the Speedmaster and came accross this watch. Apart from the fact that it is a Moonwatch, I cannot tell much about it. The seller claims it is some years old.

What I would love to know is: (1) Around what year is this watch from? (2) Is it all original, I mean the bracelet, hands etc, do they look like they came with the watch originally (3) How would you grade the condition?

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

Full size, first pic

[​IMG]

3. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

There are no papers with the watch, only the watch

4. charnard May 19, 2017

That's a 30th anniversary edition. It is from 1999. It does appear to be authentic and is in pretty amazing condition for a watch that old. What is he asking price wise?

iluvconnie likes this.
  5. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

Around 2,800 USD

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2017

iluvconnie likes this.
  7. charnard May 19, 2017

That's not a horrible price. I found one that went for $3,500 w/ box & papers. I'd try to work him down a bit because of that. Beautiful watch regardless!

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 19, 2017

I am caught flat-footed, out of town, without my Speedmaster, and stuck on a wretched IPad, but think my watch's serial number is not far from this watch's serial number. Seems like my watch dates to 1985.

I'm of the opinion that the dial is a more recent service dial. "Swiss Made without the characteristic bracketing "T's" may be an indicator of the later service dial. It may only be the photograph, but the case appears to have had a polish.

Someone will be along with more knowledge and perhaps a reference at hand or even a Speedmaster of similar age.

9. repoman May 19, 2017

I want to emphasize the point about box and papers. If you are just looking for a Speedmaster to wear everyday for 20 years, I think you found a damn good one. Assume it has not been serviced unless the seller says otherwise, and factor that in. Servicing a modern Speedmaster is roughly a $400 proposition.

If you care about the value of the watch, and would like to sell it one day for more than you bought it for, or if this is part of, or the beginning of a collection, then you definitely want the box and papers even moreso for modern watches. Without those, this is just another speedy. it looks great to me. Work the missing box and paper angle really hard with the seller if you want to buy it.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2017

1999 right at the crossover. Luminova is correct for this watch. Dial is correct should it have T's.

2800's not a bad price missing papers. This limted edition had a special box. But the watch was the same as a run of the mill watch it just had a slightly different caseback.

charnard likes this.
  11. charnard May 19, 2017

12. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

Thanks, the points about Box and papers are appreciated.

watch3s likes this.
  13. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

I only wish the hands and markers had aged more/ were more yellowish. I guess 1999 is not old enough for that?

14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 19, 2017

I'm all washed up anyway. I straggled over to my Photobucket account and found a photo of the back of my Speedmaster.

Not the same thing.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. charnard May 19, 2017

I'd say you need another 15 years on that watch assuming "average" environmental conditions to get that beautiful yellowish look. I LOVE that. [emoji7]

16. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

Or else buy a watch in this condition, but from 15 years before? how much would a Speedmaster like that go for?

17. charnard May 19, 2017

Depends how vintage you'd like to go. I wouldn't even know where to really begin outside of just doing simple research. I found a couple online over $4,000 plus depending how far back you go.

18. iluvconnie May 19, 2017

I just want that LOOK, doesnt really have to be 'vintage'; late 1980s watches maybe? I should keep an eye on the forum sales

charnard likes this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2017

You need a watch earlier then 1998 with Tritium lume. This dials say "T Swiss T" on the bottom.

iluvconnie likes this.