Forums Latest Members

A watch I hoped to never have worn

1. calalum Apr 24, 2020

To digress from the joys of watch pursuits or the great troubles of the world, here is the short sad story of how I just inherited my dad's watch (which I helped my mom buy for him many years ago) and wedding ring. A few years back, my dad gathered the family together to allow each of us kids to choose one item from my parents' stuff (nothing of particularly great value other than of the sentimental kind) that they would designate in their wills. I have enough watches and told my brother (who never really wore a watch) to claim my dad's watch. Sadly, two years ago, my brother (who was very healthy) died while skiing. Fast forward 23 months. My parents were at my house having dinner and we were discussing visiting the mountain where my brother died a few weeks hence. The next day my dad (who was also pretty healthy) suffered a bad brain bleed and went to the hospital for an emergency surgery. The Covid situation made visiting difficult, my dad never came out of his coma, my mom brought him home after a couple of weeks, and he quickly passed. A few days later my mom said she wanted me to have his watch and wedding ring.

Sorry for the long story but wanted to share and don't have other media to do so. One crazy irony is that my dad and brother both passed at 4.35 pm on March 26, albeit two years apart. i obviously need to be careful on that date in the coming years.

Thanks for listening.

And my dad's watch. Just wearing it today as I was really thinking about my dad. He was an amazing guy and I was lucky to have spent a lot of time together. Rolex dad.jpg

2. TDBK Apr 24, 2020

Sorry for your pair of losses thanks for sharing.

3. Dan S Apr 24, 2020

I hardly know what to say, your post is so heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to hear about your father, and of course your brother. What a terrible thing to happen, especially at this difficult time when visiting people is a risky proposition.

The watch is a really special heirloom.

Syrte, Mad Dog and DaveK like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Apr 24, 2020

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing it with us. I almost hated to click "like" on that post, but we don't have a sad face to click on.

myatt, Spacefruit, Als 27 and 13 others like this.
  5. Mauzer Apr 24, 2020

That’s a traumatic story. I wish you all the best in the next period. Horrible to read what’s happened, brain bleedings are terrible. And skieen accidents happen so rarely... I hope you and your mom stay safe. All the best wishes from the Netherlands!

6. JwRosenthal Apr 24, 2020

+1
    So sorry to hear about a double whammy like that- we’re always here to listen and share when times suck.

DaveK likes this.
  7. Joe_A Apr 24, 2020

I doubt that there is ever a 'right' thing to say when hearing a story of personal loss even when told by someone we know personally..

I hope the memories of the good times you shared with your dad and with your brother will most often come to mind . . . and will provide comfort.

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 24, 2020

Very sorry about your dad and brother. May the watch be a memento of your best times together.

9. monti Apr 24, 2020

Very sorry to hear about your losses. Thanks for sharing the story It really made me reflect how fragile life is. Take care.

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 24, 2020

So sorry for your losses I lost my father, a brother and an uncle within a month of each other.
    My partner of 25 years has just been diagnosed as terminally ill but at least I have got a bit of time to come to terms with it.

11. gbesq Apr 24, 2020

I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope that you can find some comfort in what I’m sure are many good memories of time spent with your father and brother. Please also know that OF is an exceptional group of folks who care not only about watches, but also about each other. We’re glad that you’re with us.

12. wkimmd Apr 24, 2020

I am so sorry. Thanks for sharing with us.

13. Toishome Apr 24, 2020

Sorry for your losses. Glad to see the watch on your wrist.

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 24, 2020

My condolences to you and your family. It's uplifting to hear you had a wonderful relationship with your Dad.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2020

Sorry to hear about your last couple of years.

Your always welcome to share here, remember that.... Boy- we know what people eat, drink, read, listen too, ride/drive we even know what watch they wear everyday......

And give your Mum a hug for me :thumbsup:

Barking mad likes this.
  16. killer67 Apr 24, 2020

The courage it must have taken to post the story of your 2 devastating losses is staggering but they found a good home in me and in this forum. Deeply touched and a contemplative personal reminder about the daily tight rope I walk on between life and death

17. ATWG Apr 24, 2020

Very sorry to hear of your losses, it’s unimaginable. I also unexpectedly lost my father back in 2013, the pain still hasn’t completely healed. I have his Omega Anakin Seamster which he gifted to me for my 40th birthday. I have a very hard time strapping it onto my wrist.

18. MarktheTime Apr 24, 2020

Sorry to hear that news..sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

19. Lovewatches2 Apr 24, 2020

My condolences to you and your family, please stay safe and take good care of your mom. My thoughts and prayers.

20. Starman71 Apr 25, 2020

Thank you for sharing your story. It reminds us to value the relationships we have, and the tokens to remind ourselves of them.