Forums Latest Members

A WARNING to anyone with a Vintage Longines watch (unfair Longines practices)

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 30, 2022

I seem to remember MWR member “Antoine” on MWR or another member has had some of those rings replicated. Might even sell them on Ebay if you look.

Bit suprising to hear Longines wanted to restore or replace the dial. Did your watch go all the way to the manufacture in Switzerland? They have a vintage watchmaking workshop there that is very much attuned to working with collectors, but there may also have been some turnover with new people in that department.

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 30, 2022

Has it ever occured to you, that the Factory might not have one left? Did they tell you, they have it in stock ? Or need to machine one for you after the service ? If you call Longines a " Greedy Vendor....", you should send a Rolex Sub Big Crown to the Rolex factory and ask for a missing part and see the estimate , which you reject and want your watch back . And they will only send your watch back to you , after you pay them for the inspection and service quote. Which will be a few 100's Dollares....Your rambling is understandable, but Longines Is far from a Greedy Vendor. They care about their history. You did ask for advice here and got all solutions from knowledgeable collectors. You did not follow any of them. So, step back and listen to advice for free. Then solve your problems. Easy.

watch3s, Geezer, Andy_timeman and 8 others like this.
  3. ALiEN2108 Dec 1, 2022

Indeed, I expected something in the neighbourhood, which I would gladly pay. Not to forget, I DID correspond with them before sending the watch to them multiple times. I did let them know my sole objective is to get missing part. The arrangement was not what it turned out.

Edited Dec 1, 2022
  4. ALiEN2108 Dec 1, 2022

Yes corresponded directly to Switzerland (I am in Europe) and watch went directly to them. THEY - Longines SWITZERLAND - listed dial replacement as part of the service.

Edited Dec 1, 2022
    Joe_A likes this.
  5. Joe_A Dec 1, 2022

Sorry, I missed the part where you contacted Longines in advance of sending in the watch to clarify the level of service you were seeking.

Also . . .

The Website area where repairs and maintenance is discussed, suggests that they do entertain repairs that do not require full service or restoration. I find the site to be misleading . . . or at the least, there is ambiguity..

6. Bernhard J Dec 1, 2022

As others said, it seems not unusual for todays manufacturers to provide "services", which shock any collector. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago I sent a near mint 50s V&C watch to them for service. Not cheap, but did not kill me. But what really annoyed me was that they replaced the really fine original windng crown by a modern one. And answered to my request for returning the original one that they had disposed of it ::rant:.

Turning to Longines, I must praise them with respect to their archives services. I asked them for an archives extract for a pocket watch and received this within a week and without any charge (not even postage). This is really great and the present general policy with respect to documentation. Others ask for the same service 150.-- upwards.

Extract from the  Archives.jpg

LesXL, Geezer, kkt and 8 others like this.
  7. Andy_timeman Dec 1, 2022

A bit (lot) of a very misleading headline. You have a rare watch with a missing part. Others have given you cheaper options to sort it out. You ignored all suggestions. Perhaps you have been lucky and bought it much cheaper because of that simple issue. Who knows...good luck to you if that is the case. The watch is vintage with more years than almost all of us commenting. I find it amazing that a company will entertain any request concerning repair. In Switzerland things are expensive and requires time processing your order. I imagine the work you do also costs money and your business or the one who employs you runs at a profit. Deal with most companies and they will say we don't have parts for that after 5 years. American Standard has plastic gear wheels in their top-of-the-line vanity taps with no replacements. In the watch space it is reasonably well known that vintage rare or needed parts trade on the secondary market on many occasions trade for multiples of what they may physically have cost years ago to produce or what someone may have paid for them a few years ago.... why?? simply because people want them and they may help someone finish their project and make a piece of horological history tick again. I am sure I am not the only one with something in the vintage watch box that I have spent 5 or 10 years looking for one or two missing things to fix it.

watch3s, Dan S, JohnLy and 2 others like this.
  8. Zapatta Dec 2, 2022

Not getting what you want, doesn't make Longines unfair..

wagudc, Andy_timeman, watch3s and 6 others like this.
  9. ALiEN2108 Dec 2, 2022

No, a 2500EUR suggested "repair" charge does. As you can see this watch needs a regular maintenance which is indeed quoted on Longines Web site as something in neighbourhood of 500-1000EUR.

Quoting 2.500EUR WITHOUT any itemisation and directly linking replacing one simple part in the watch to that does. Only after challenging such quote they said "Replacement of the dial...Are you kidding me? Replacing a dial?! Did I send the watch to a butcher shop!? I rest my case.

10. ALiEN2108 Dec 2, 2022

All opinions and ideas here were sent AFTER my "encounter" with Longines (and my post). They are highly appreciated and I followed the ideas. So I did not ignore them, but I got them as an answer to my original post.

11. Bernhard J Dec 2, 2022

Since my experience with V&C I avoid sending a vintage watch to the manufacturer, because they indeed tend to replace anything, which is not in a new condition, including dial, crown, case, and even perhaps the whole movement ::screwloose::.

By I am afraid, others are not better.... I recall having sent a fairly vintage Omega (not collectable back then) of my mother to Omega perhaps 3 decades ago. They did a really nice job, including replacement of the dial by a proper NOS and identical (!) dial. And the total costs were reasonable. The old dial was returned also. But this is long ago, I do not know how they would handle such job nowadays.

If I would today nevertheless make another try (I surely will not), I would make conditional, that any and all replaced parts are returned together with the "serviced" watch.

2500 € for a service of a simple time-only watch is clearly unreasonable anyway, even if you would "value" the missing part alone with 500 €. A good watchmaker would probably not charge more than 500 €, if at all. I am happy that I personally am able to attend to most issues myselfe ... :). Sometimes it takes time, if parts are needed. I have been looking for a bracelett link for my Speedmaster 125 since long and just recently found one (though perhaps a Chinese lookalike, it differs slightly).

Edited Dec 2, 2022
    ALiEN2108 likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 2, 2022

@ALiEN2108 Contrary perhaps to other watch companies, Longines has made a significant investment in a vintage restoration workshop which is working hand in hand with their archives department and also in a regular dialogue with longtime collectors of the brand. They do charge indeed in the vicinity of 2500 euros because indeed,
    among other specific services they will give you access to a unique parts drawer which will have brand new parts that can be over 100 years old— in your case we’re talking 80 years old. While it wasn’t what you’re looking for, there are many people who are glad they can have an ancient watch restored.
    Whatever you saw on their website about selling separate parts without a full service may well apply to their more modern watches, but I’ve never heard of such thing when it comes to vintage watches.

JohnLy, LesXL, Andy_timeman and 7 others like this.
  13. TimeODanaos Dec 2, 2022

Proving your point, I think @Bernhard J you will enjoy this thread about a Longines just a little bit older even than yours...

Bernhard J likes this.
  14. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Dec 17, 2022

15. ALiEN2108 Dec 18, 2022

Thank you, yes I have sent the watch with Sei Tacche model that has such sprint (a bit larger outer diameter) to local Watchmaker. Will post the results, once the watch is back!

16. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 18, 2022

Despite what the seller states, the movement in that sei tacche is a cal. 10.68Z and not a 12.68Z.

size11s likes this.
  17. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Dec 18, 2022

Ah, I didn't look that closely, apologies. As the OP has gone down another route it's irrelevant.

18. Joe_A Dec 18, 2022

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 18, 2022

Yes, you did...

hstdgf.png

Syrte likes this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 18, 2022

53F0B924-D0C7-4244-B0DB-A4027CE5CF9F.jpeg 034D971B-FF91-4DCB-9197-87C67B9DC284.jpeg A5909CE3-3AEA-4D71-8EC2-02F145D00F28.jpeg
    Edited Dec 18, 2022
    Tony C. likes this.