Forums Latest Members

A Trio of Triple Date Moonphases

1. song1818 Nov 1, 2015

Hey everyone. I wanted to run the following three triple date moonphases by you to get some input regarding originality.

Universal Geneve Triple Date Moonphase 06.jpg

For the above, the second hand looks totally wrong. How about the crown? Sala's book seems to show similar crowns, but it's hard to be absolutely sure. Besides those aspects, is there anything else questionable going on here that I should be aware of?

Universal Geneve Triple Date Moonphase 11.jpg

Here, all three subdials look redone to me, and the "Universal Geneve" font seems wonky. What say you all?

Universal Geneve Triple Date Moonphase 15 (Crop).jpg

And finally we come to the above example. I've never seen what appears to be the inner caseback stamp printed on the dial itself, yet here it is. Red flag? Also, the "12" looks as if it could be one of UG's deco-style numerals, but part of me also leans toward it being a redialer's handiwork. The crown is strange as well, but again, there seem to be similar examples in Sala's book. Please do weigh in.

Thanks!

--Matthew

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 1, 2015

IMO:

1. First one is original, except for the constant seconds hand.
    2. Redial
    3. Strange... That UG logo is an odd thing to put on a redial, but I'd still go with redial. Look at that calendar wheel and tell me it's as weathered as the dial. The script also looks off. Hard to articulate.

3. nicolas07 Nov 2, 2015

I fully agree with @Modest_Proposal.
    For the second one, on top of the strange font, the pointy A on Universal is also a good sign of a redial. ;)