Forums Latest Members

A test for mature age (moon) Engineers

1. queriver Sep 15, 2018

This page is out of a manual from the mid 1970s. Who can tell me what the product is that this manual belongs to? More clues to follow if needed.

The prize is... you get to feel great that your memory continues to function as if the 1970s were yesterday!

IMG_2834 - Copy.jpg

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 15, 2018

Lunar lander

Tik-Tok of Oz and queriver like this.
  3. queriver Sep 15, 2018

Well, as the title says, the game is a lunar lander simulator but that's not the product.

4. ext1 Sep 15, 2018

1977-79 HP-19C/HP-29C by Hewlett-Packard?

kkt, Dr_P, dwboston and 1 other person like this.
  5. queriver Sep 15, 2018

We have a winner. :thumbsup: Sir, your memory is excellent. I was hoping this would run longer but also anticipated someone might just know it straight off. Actually it's an HP25C from 1977. Used to love this game. Here are some photos...

Programming code...
    IMG_2835 - Copy.jpg IMG_2841 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2840 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2839 - Copy.jpg

kkt, AndreiZ, dwboston and 6 others like this.
  6. ext1 Sep 15, 2018

Yow! I can't believe you still have those! Very cool to see. Didn't know this calculator had intended these as 'games'!
    And..yeah sorry for ruining the fun. :D

queriver likes this.
  7. queriver Sep 15, 2018

I'm glad you got it. I just dug mine out of a box, charged it and tried to see how well it works. Unfortunately not all the keys work reliably. These calculators were amazing, particularly for the time and their size is smaller than an iphone (but not as thin). That was when HP was a highly regarded company, not "printer maker" that they unfortunately probably became best known for some time later. The programming manual has 160 pages and games are only 5. There are also programs for algebra & other mathematical methods, finance, navigation, statistics and surveying. Anyway, enjoy the memory!

pascs and ext1 like this.
  8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 15, 2018

Didn't NASA use HP calculators on the the Space Shuttle flights as back-up computer?

queriver likes this.
  9. queriver Sep 15, 2018

Here's a link to a website about NASA's use of HP calculators. The post on 2/2/2013 says they used the HP25C which would have been in the early years of the space shuttle programme. The blog goes into some detail about models and uses if you're interested.
    https://hpinspace.wordpress.com/

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. TLIGuy Sep 15, 2018

Great post. Some additional HP trivia. The HP calculators were selected and tested by astronaut Fred Gregory along with nonother than NASA engineer James Ragan.

Edited Sep 15, 2018
    queriver likes this.
  11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 15, 2018

Nice "patina". :D

queriver and Spacefruit like this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 18, 2018

Great HP calculators featured with far better buttons than Texas Instruments counterparts !

kkt, queriver and Paedipod like this.
  13. rcs914 Sep 18, 2018

Pretty sure I have a couple of these calculators out in the garage from my dad's stuff. Perhaps a manual as well :)

queriver likes this.
  14. Professor Sep 18, 2018

Reminds me of the Cylon fighters that require three pilots. The survivor said "we were about to take a vote when the ground came up and hit us".

I had a early pocket calculator, they must have meant over coat pocket size. A few years later I got one the size of a credit card with a built in solar cell.

queriver likes this.
  15. queriver Sep 18, 2018

The characters on the top faces of the keys appear to be made of in-layed plastic so they won't wear off over time. They aren't just painted on. The blue characters on the lower faces are painted but they don't get wear.

16. dwboston Sep 18, 2018

I knew it right away just from the spiral bound booklet. I love the HP calculators with Reverse Polish Notation. We got issued the HP 15c scientific calculator at West Point - once you learn RPN you can't go back to the = sign. I still use the HP 12c financial calculator at work every day.

kkt and queriver like this.
  17. queriver Sep 18, 2018

The current model HP12c uses the same key design as their scientific calculators of 40 years ago - same colours, fonts and labels. If not for the LC display, you'd think the HP12c was a 1970s calculator. That's a tribute to the people who came up with the design back then. ..... much like the classic design of the Speedmaster ;)

Edited Sep 18, 2018
    kkt likes this.
  18. dwboston Sep 19, 2018

I took a class in engineering economic analysis while in college - we were allowed to use a financial calculator for that one, so I bought an HP 19 BII. That thing was ahead of its time: portrait clamshell design, full text keyboard on the left side, larger lcd screen, programmable, etc. The professor was fine with us mapping out the solutions to problems then just showing the answer - that calculator basically got me an A in that class. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-19B#/media/File:HP_19B.jpg

HP_19B.jpg

queriver and Deafboy like this.
  19. Professor Sep 19, 2018

I remember when the language used for complicated equations in analog computers was so time consuming that professional math wizards were on call to do the job if there were any sort of time factor.
    They couldn't work anywhere near as fast as a computer but they didn't require a programmer.

queriver likes this.
  20. kkt Sep 19, 2018

My HP 33C got me through high school math and AP physics. I still have it, stored carefully with the battery pack outside it. I also have a HP 32S and 19B II, plus RPM calculator apps on my computer at home and at work.

My geometry teacher one day when we got to our trig unit was determined to show that the calculator user could easily mess up the order of operations, so she called on me and gave me very complicated calculation to do, taking about 10 minutes on the calculator. If it was a TI calculator with 34 parenthesis she would probably have been right. But it was RPN and I worked right through it to the correct answer.

queriver and dwboston like this.