Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 12, 2013

A Swedish watch-buddy who lives in Japan was kind enough to let this one come my way. A 1971 Grand Seiko Special. More finely tuned (at +/-3) than a "normal" GS, and certainly better than COSC, it is a real precision piece and its prestige is manifested in a golden "GS" and "Special" on the dial. Ref 6155-8000 and with a somewhat unusal silverish dial. Came with period correct buckle and a GS hang tag.

Really happy in finally getting a Special. If I only could score a VFA... but that is really, really difficult. A nice thing about Seiko and their GS, GS Special and the VFA of that era, is that the finer the watch - the cleaner the looks. The VFA (really a chronometer competition watch) is the epitome of cool simpleness in design. The Special is not that much fancier but it does have a gold medallion on the caseback... I think Scandinavians and the Japanese have some sort of design connection - we like clean simple looks when it comes to high end designs.

I will probably never own a Seiko VFA but this Grand Seiko Special is more than enough solace/consolation.
    Regards
    JE

First some sad looking pics of mine from today and then some nice pics from my watch-buddy in Japan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andsan, jB1128, JP0013 and 9 others like this.
  2. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jul 2, 2022

Bumping this old thread with some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andsan, jB1128, Spruce and 17 others like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 2, 2022

I didn't catch it first time around so am gratified to find it now and learn about a scarce high grade Seiko I'd never before known about.

It is a very appealing watch and with you being one of the greats of Omega Forum photography have amply done it justice with your excellent photographs.

Thanks!

MDubs, styggpyggeno1 and Duracuir1 like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 2, 2022

jB1128, Spruce, unxsr and 6 others like this.
  5. 50kopek Jul 4, 2022

Love vintage GS and the Special is a bit, well, special! Yours looks great. Here's mine, the 8040 variant with blocky case and textured dial (all the scratches are on the crystal):

[​IMG]

jB1128, Spruce, CPRwatch and 3 others like this.