Forums Latest Members

A Special Addition - My Grandfather's Mustache

1. BenBagbag Dec 24, 2017

Dear OF,

Many months ago as I was just venturing into vintage I asked you guys about a Longines in our family. I only had two really bad pictures of it from my dad. It belonged to my Grandfather who died when I was very young. It is colloquially called the Mustache because of the really wacky shape of the lugs. I don't see many of these floating around and this one is in pretty good shape - a bit of a "safe queen."

Anyways, my grandfather (Harvey) liked his jewelry and was a bit on the flashy side even though he was a soft spoken man who never had a bad thing to say about anyone and nobody could say a bad thing about him. I hope I can find a picture of him wearing it but I suspect I won't because apparently even he was scared to wear it as not to damage it.

It has been sitting in a safe on Long Island for decades and finally dragged my dad today to come and open the safe deposit box and let me see it. He then said I could have it. It was very meaningful as just a couple of months ago I named my first Son after my grandfather. As soon as I got home I opened it up and snapped some pics. Looks to be in good shape. Powered by the 22L movement and currently on an old school Corfam strap (just like my grandfather used to wear it). It still ticks strong but I want to get it serviced before really wearing it again.

dial 2 good (2).jpg dial 1 good (2).jpg side crown (2).jpg side non-crown (2).jpg caseback.jpg movement good 2 (2).jpg
    Movement 22L okay -good.jpg
    inside caseback (2).jpg

And finally, a wristshot. wristshot (2).jpg

My grandfather had a bunch of jewelry. He had a gold ring in the shape of a snake. He had a yellow gold diamond ring with a miner's cut diamond in it. In seeing all the jewelry it was clear that this watch fit his profile. Here is the (very heavy) gold chain he wore:
    full necklace.jpg Harvey.jpg

I already sent out an extract request from Longines and hope to hear back from them, but if anyone has any info they could add that would be nice too. Thanks for the awesome space here and for taking the time to read.

Thank you and happy holidays,
    Ben

2. jumpingsecond Dec 25, 2017

This is one of the most whimsical/interesting watches I've seen in a while. Grampa Harvey must've been a fun guy to to hang out with!

Syrte and BenBagbag like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 25, 2017

Thanks for sharing ( if only half the vintage watches we own, we knew the story and the wearer it would be great. Have a few I would like to be able to ask the owner about )

Don't need a picture of him wearing the watch.

Just need a picture of Harvey being Harvey;)

Pun, aap, Caliber561 and 2 others like this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 25, 2017

Great story and watch. Did he also have a Caddy?

Vitezi, BenBagbag and STANDY like this.
  5. argonbeam Dec 25, 2017

Many of the US cased models had names, and I believe this was a “Revere”. A Revere Sweep with a 23zs center-seconds movement listed on www.vintagewatchresources.com. Mustache is much more fun. Cool watch and in great shape. Tons of 22l movements and parts out there, so should be able to keep it going for your grandkids.

Pun and BenBagbag like this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 25, 2017

Don't let your Bride see it or you'll never get it back!

Great story, wear it in good health, a fine Christmas/Holiday present.

dragoman and BenBagbag like this.
  7. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Dec 26, 2017

Great story, your grandfather must have been quite a flamboyant character by the looks of things. Never seen a watch quite like that one, love the reference name of your grandfathers moustache. Enjoy it.

BenBagbag likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 26, 2017

Awesome condition, it is really magnificent. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    When you get it serviced, please make sure —- really sure— that you give it only to a good watchmaker who will absolutely not touch the case. One reason why this watch is so great is because its case was never polished. You must ensure it stays that way otherwise those crisp edges will disappear.
    Based on where you are you should seei guidance to find a watchmaker who will be respectful ans will not polish it. Some watchmakers are overzealous and don’t listen to their clients, you need to make sure you go to someone who listens.
    Best regards

aap, red crowned and BenBagbag like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 26, 2017

The "Revere" shows without a diamond dial. It is possible that the diamond dial version had a different name.

Vintage Watch Resources is a great website, but unfortunately, it isn't complete.
    gatorcpa

red crowned and BenBagbag like this.
  10. BenBagbag Jan 4, 2018

Something fun to receive on an otherwise nasty snow day/bomb cyclone/whatever-you-want-to-call-it day in NY. Only sent this in 10 days ago. A really awesome service they offer and for free - great customer service! Other than the date it was invoiced (does that mean the day it was made or when it was sent out?) I guess this doesn't tell us so much more than what is already out there but cool to have nonetheless.

Thanks for the insight and kind words everyone!

Screenshot_20180104-164332.jpg

Pun likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 4, 2018

It’s not the day it was made. Indeed the Longines registers also record the day ia watch is made available for sale, which inscribed as “date de prise” (in French), which roughly translates as “date taken”.
    That’s prior to the date the watch is actually sold to a local agent / distributor.

BenBagbag likes this.
  12. dragoman Jan 5, 2018

I agree with UncleBuck, don't let your girlfriend see it.

Dragowoman has repeatedly let me know that she loves these watches (they appear from time to time at ebay, usually in sorry states of disrepair, at least as far as the case concerns), so sooner or later I will have to get one of these bigotes for her.

American Longineses are amazing; funny cases, gorgeous dials, and solid rock movements. What's not to like?

BenBagbag likes this.
  13. BenBagbag Feb 11, 2018

Was finally able to fish out a few pics of my grandfather wearing the watch -- at my parent's wedding! He was really tan from always being on the boat...

Grandpa with watch (2).jpg

grandpa wearing it.jpg

Pun, Rman, gemini4 and 8 others like this.
  14. ulackfocus Mar 11, 2018

First, that’s a fantastic heirloom. :) The pictures make it even more special.

Second, it looks completely original and in great shape. :thumbsup:

Third, that’s a NFW.

Lastly, tell your woman to get her own damn inheritance. ::bleh:: Confident men can wear a diamond dial vintage Longines! ;)

merchandiser, Pun, Rman and 2 others like this.
  15. ulackfocus Mar 11, 2018

....and speaking of mustaches, has @M'Bob seen this thread?

Edited Apr 16, 2018
  16. BenBagbag Apr 15, 2018

Just found another Longines for sale with the same case. It could be yours for as low as $34999! :rolleyes:

50kwatch.jpg

17. MikeMan2727 Apr 15, 2018

Very descriptive listing title as well!

:D

BenBagbag likes this.
  18. BenBagbag Apr 16, 2018

I asked the seller if he could do better on price. :D

Screenshot_20180416-075552.jpg