Forums Latest Members
  1. Happy May 1, 2020

I was just looking through some pictures on my phone and came across a couple I thought I could share on here!
    So a friend of mine wanted to buy his first nice watch, he knew I was into watches. so every day at work he would be asking me, 'what do you think of these'.

He was toying with everything from Tag to Rolex, Breitling pretty much every brand out there!! I think deep down he really wanted a no date Sub. But you can't get one from anywhere apart from way over the odds on grey market. Which for most people is a massive turn off (bad side of Rolex)

So I told him a little bit about Tudor and he kind of fell for the black bay 58. But again like Rolex he was struggling to find a BB58!! Then the 'is a Tudor just for people who can't afford a Rolex'? Was playing on his mind. So he kind of went off that idea.

Around this time my obsession with Omega had set in!!
    I needed/wanted a moonwatch or a planet ocean.

So I told him a bit about the Speedy, and like me did a bit of reading. Watched plenty of YouTube videos
    Then went in to the local AD to have a look and try on.

He was sold straight away with everything about the watch and the brand. He loved the history of it and the fact that you can actually go and view it and try it on!!

Anyway a few weeks later he bought the sapphire sandwich. He was just loving the look of the back of it in all it glory!!

Thanks for reading heres a couple of pics I took.

Of course I had to go with him to pick it up!!!
    20200129_191628.jpg 20200129_194658.jpg

DaveK, Vitezi, madjestikmoose and 9 others like this.
  2. kroro May 1, 2020

That's a story I've heard more than once. A friend of mine was also put off by not being able to actually see a Rolex (in this case a submariner) before he pulled the trigger. He ended up with an Aqua Terra and is more than satisfied with his choice :)

Happy likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2020

Shorter Story
    Had the coin for a Sub, Speedy Tuesday 1 dropped and the story ends.

7651ADC6-C736-4EBF-8741-F135884CD1D1.jpeg

4. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 1, 2020

All watch brands other than Rolex are for people who can’t afford a Rolex - at least, that’s what Rolex wants you to think. :whistling:

congrats to your friend though, he has excellent taste in watches AND beer :thumbsup:

YY77, DaveK and Happy like this.
  5. Happy May 1, 2020

Only reason I went with him

Free beer!!!

madjestikmoose likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2020

Shorter Story 2
    Had the coin for a Sub, Rolex wanted me to go on a wait list. Bought a Speedy Tuesday 2 and the Story Ends.
    55FBD7F0-98E8-4524-AB9C-5AB665FAAE18.jpeg

7. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 1, 2020

I love your stories @STANDY, the endings are so happy and uplifting :)

STANDY likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2020

Shorter Story 4 ( bit like Star Wars it happened 5 years before Shorter Story 1 )
    Had the money for a Speedmaster called the boutique a day before the end of the financial year and saved $1300 then the story ends

87C10BF5-9CF4-4E68-9C56-8249BD917E72.jpeg

Sidreilley, Happy, YY77 and 4 others like this.