Forums Latest Members

A Seamaster 120 166.027 with a very strange second hand..

1. uwsearch Dec 1, 2016

Among all oddities of "a journey through time", I noticed a seamaster 120 166.027 at page 325 with an unusual all luminous second hand. Never seen any like this on a seamaster:

Capture.JPG

I thought that it was an other strange thing from AJTT, but I does exist for real !!

I got one last week from the original owner who bought it from his local jeweller in December 1969:

Capture.JPG

And both together:

Capture.JPG

pippy, Etp095, TNTwatch and 19 others like this.
  2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 1, 2016

TNTwatch and LeoneFM like this.
  3. omegastar Dec 1, 2016

You can also find it in this one 165.002 if i remember correct.
    omeg 5 011.JPG omeg 5 012.JPG omeg 5 015.JPG omeg 5 014.JPG

pippy, Etp095, TNTwatch and 5 others like this.
  4. uwsearch Dec 1, 2016

You're right I didn't search deep enough!
    It's only one out of 1000 !

Hard to get any lume anymore from that 47yo tritium...
    I like that second hand !!

Capture.JPG

pippy, Etp095, TNTwatch and 5 others like this.
  5. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Dec 1, 2016

My 165.002 has one as well. image.png

pippy, Etp095, TNTwatch and 3 others like this.
  6. LeoneFM Jun 3, 2017

[​IMG]

Hi, guys, thanks for this thread!
    I have bought this original 165.027 some times ago and it has the same second hand!
    I thought it wasn't the correct one because I have always seen the other without luminous in my others 120 and on vintage advertise I could find..
    I had a lot of serching work to replace it with the 'correct' one, but obviously I still have the original hand!
    This watch is a keeper because of its magnificent tropical faded dial!

Here it is (the one on the left) after the hand switch!
    [​IMG]
    Now I will mount the original one again for sure!!

Cheers
    :)

Edited Jun 5, 2017
    pippy, Etp095, TNTwatch and 3 others like this.
  7. noiseboyuk Jun 3, 2017

A very good looking variation.
    One to look out for on the 'to buy' list.

LeoneFM likes this.
  8. LeoneFM Jun 3, 2017

To be honest I have once seen a similar one mounted on a watch for sale and you know I immediately had the doubt, but I couldn't find other infos at that time..
    ..curious if I find that watch for sale again ( hope to have a memory flash in the next days xD )

Cheers

9. bloomy Mar 26, 2018

@LeoneFM Very nice watch. I just picked up a SM 120 with the same center second hand. Do you know the first two digits of your serial number? I have noticed that your dial and mine both appear to have a unique color of text on the dial, see mine below. I have seen threads about SM 300 gilt dial vs not but never 120.

[​IMG]

pippy, Etp095, TNTwatch and 1 other person like this.
  10. LeoneFM Mar 30, 2018

Hi @bloomy congrats for the fabulous piece you picked up!
    Yes the graphic of mine seems to be gilt too and also the paint on the background of the dial is fading to light brown. It appears to be a very nice tropical dial! Serial number of mine is 247163**.
    From your photo I can see yours showing gilt graphic but it could be interesting also to see if it shows some fading to brown while exposing it directly to sunlight! What is serial number of yours?
    Add some pics of that beauty please!::love::
    Cheers

11. bloomy Mar 30, 2018

Thanks @LeoneFM! The information kindly provided in this thread was certainly helpful as I was unsure if the second hand was original to the watch. My serial number is 24725xxx so it does look like they are indeed close to one another.

My dial isn't starting to brown at all but it does have some lume flakes here and there. I will post some more pics when it gets back from service.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply with the SN. I think this may explain the gilt text?

LeoneFM likes this.
  12. LeoneFM Mar 30, 2018

Hi @bloomy ,
    The serials are very similar and also the central second hand was the same (as I told before in this thread I was initially thinking it was not original and I replaced it). Maybe they were produced in the same period or even in the same batch as the assembling has always been not perfectly linear in the Omega production. Anyway I'm now happy to know that there are common elements and that maybe other pieces could be observed in that serial range!
    Cheers