Forums Latest Members
  1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 25, 2021

Last night in the WRUW thread I posted this Speedmaster. Not the most expensive or unique but one of my treasures all the same.
    DSC_7699.jpeg
    When I went to put it away last night I was just tightening the strap onto its cushion when all went loose. At first I thought a springbar had let go but on closer inspection no. The glue on the strap had deteriorated to the point of failure. I don't know how old the strap is or even how I came to have it actually but always thought it was a nice strap.

This could have been a tragedy if it had happened in any other location, as I always undo and place on the cushion over the bed and there is carpet at the foot of the bed to cover all bases. If I had been on one of the bikes or out and about this could be a story involving copious amounts of tears.

The strap in question is a Speidel and as I said I have no idea of the age but certainly living in a humid environment would not help.

Checking the strap will certainly become part of my pre flight checklist and I will be making a conscious effort to change all to stitched straps for the future.

The strap.
    DSC_7722.jpeg

DSC_7723.jpeg

Now safe and sound on a new strap although a little more in your face:)
    DSC_7717.jpeg

DSC_7720.jpeg

JohnWoo, airansun, murph and 7 others like this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 25, 2021

I had a few beautiful old straps given to me my a watchmaker who was cleaning out his shelves, all NOS. While they all looked like new a few had deteriorated in the exact same way as yours. As I couldn’t trust any of them they’ve all ended up in the bin. I have access to all sorts of great adhesive in my work, but with the surfaces already contaminated with degrade goop I don’t trust the new adhesive to last. They’re nice, but they’re just not worth the risk.

i consider straps as a disposable maintenance item, like oil or tires on my old bikes, why piss around with old aged junk that can damage the machine if they fail.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 25, 2021

Perhaps this nice 220 bezel desires a 1039/516?

M'Bob, Taddyangle and Barking mad like this.
  4. hronists Apr 25, 2021

I never trust strap that have construction like this. wrapped over part must be stitched not glued.

airansun, nicks, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Apr 25, 2021

6B603A02-66AC-498B-A437-3DFD7E887E73.jpeg I’m surprised that a reputable maker doesn’t/didn’t stitch it.
    Even my cheap ‘aftermarket’ straps are stitched

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Kristof_S Apr 25, 2021

Ow, never thought about checking this... I usually use steal straps. So to go for a leather one, see if it's stitched there too, as extra protection. Would be a shame to loose a watch that way :unsure:

7. JwRosenthal Apr 25, 2021

Also always give a good tug on bracelets when you fit them. I didn’t seat a spring bar properly once and although it held through most of the morning, when I got into my car and went to pull the door closed, the flex on my wrist popped the spring bar and the watch hit the ground ::facepalm2::

Luckily is was a cheap homage watch and not something valuable, but I always listen for the “click” when I seat spring bars and give a good push and pull on the bracelet to make sure they are seated properly

airansun and Shabbaz like this.
  8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Apr 25, 2021

This was the outcome when a defective spring bar defected :(

if only it hadn’t fallen on to a concrete car park floor

upload_2021-4-25_17-25-29.jpeg

DaveK and Omegafanman like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Apr 25, 2021

We really need a “not like” button

10. YYTIN Apr 25, 2021

Remembers me of the time I did order a 18mm Milanese bracelet for a nice 19mm Zenith El Primero (C case, cheaper option there but still nice value). Stupid I know, but I did see this exact bracelet pictured with this particular ZEP model and found it a very nice fit.
    The first day I receive the bracelet I put it on my watch, drove my kid to some sport and hopefully the bracelet went out ...in my car resulting in my watch ending up on my legs... A few minutes later it would have been on the road... this bracelet is still sitting in my cupboard now (could not fit a 18mm watch in my possession to go with it).
    The mistake was of course all mine but the picture though was misleading... for the newbie I was and still am.
    Never thought about checking the stitching of my straps. Now I'll do that. Thanks @Barking mad for sharing this

Spruce likes this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Apr 28, 2021

I like that new strap, it looks great on your Speedy. The only edgy strap I own is a crocodile one on my 48 Eterna. My ex girlfriend helped me pick it. She said all my other straps looked like something an old man would wear.

20201208_122713.jpg