Forums Latest Members
  1. rv1138 Jan 2, 2019

Hey all,

Recently, I've been hit with a buying a new watch bug. I wouldn't call myself a collector by any means, but as I've been reading more, I've been growing a bit more drawn into the horology, and history of everything. I stumbled across this site through my own research, well, really, growing obsession with the Speedmaster. The history of the moonwatches are captivating to me, and it doesn't hurt that I'm a chrono fan as I'm finding.

The only "luxury" watch I own, I bought as a "yay for me" when I got out of the military, and went into contracting back in 2005. It was a Tag Heuer Link. I used quotes as it seems it doesn't get a ton of street cred if you will. lol I had put it away, and really hadn't wore it, or any watch for 6-7 years and have recently brought it back out with the hit of the watch bug, and to see if wearing something on my wrist again was something I could see myself taking to again.

In the meantime, I've been reading more and more about watch histroy in general, and even thought about the collecting side of it as well. I went and bought a Sistem 51 due to what it meant to the watch industry, and I don't mind picking up others that I generally like are reasonable and also seem to get a watch snob nod as well.. Insert Seiko SKX ... lol

While I'm not buying for anyone else's taste but for my own, but as I look travel up the price scale for another watch, I would like it to bear a touch of horological relevance. (Is that bad??) However, I'm also finding that, as I ge more and more into the history of the speedmaster, I may have found the "it"...

Anywho.... if you've made it this far. Happy to be here.. Looking forward to learning a lot here, and VERY open to reading what far more experienced watch enthusiasts have to say.

Cheers!
    Randy

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 2, 2019

You won't find many watches with a richer history than the Speedmaster. Drink and be filled!

rv1138 likes this.
  3. rv1138 Jan 2, 2019

That I shall, that I shall...

In the meantime, come to find out I can load pics straight from the computer... So!! Here's the current Tag.

thumbnail-7.jpg
  4. Jonathan40 Jan 3, 2019

Welcome to this gathering, Buy what speaks to you when you handle it.
    I think your virtually set on a Speedy which is a great choice and needs no words.
    Great thing about manual watches is you get to interact with them everyday or two when you breath life into them.
    Obviously you may be looking at an Automatic with date if date is important to you.

rv1138 likes this.
  5. Cipolla Jan 5, 2019

If you interested in history you will be very happy with the speedy. For historical interest and as well for reference (if you plan to buy a vintage one) I strongly recommend the book „ Moonwatch only“. It’s not cheap but full of history and references.
    Kind regards

Martin

rv1138 likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 5, 2019

Welcome you’ll fit in fine!

Also no mention of a sistem 51 is complete without mentioning the SKX lol.

rv1138 likes this.
  7. Co-axial Jan 5, 2019

No worries bud. Buy what you like and not what others want you to like. Happy New year.

rv1138 likes this.
  8. TritonDND Jan 12, 2019

Hi! I'm new here too and have enjoyed watches for some time. Have been following this forum for a while and it has a wealth of information and exceptionally helpful members.
    Interesting enough, that TAG link was what I been drawn to a number of years ago... SInce, my tastes have fluctuated dramatically over the years. Can't stress enough to just buy what you like, not what you are 'supposed' to like.