Forums Latest Members
  1. keywerd Aug 10, 2016

Seems to be a nice example of an 'evil clapton' on Hodinkee. However, it looks like they failed to mention the mismatching (and incorrect) '55' endlinks. The shape looks different from one to the other and almost looks like from the front the one might have been shaved to fit. Are we missing something in our end-links guide or are these just flat out wrong/incorrect entirely and Hodinkee's slipping again... Anything else wrong with the watch that you call can spot?

http://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1...881101-02?mc_cid=3cbf67f6a9&mc_eid=9072eb9498

2. lethalwl Aug 10, 2016

Thanks for the notice, we had indicated the 55 endlinks in the description (in the "Fine print" category), and you are correct the upper one is looser than the lower one as it can be seen on the movement shot (last picture), we made sure it is now fully reflected on pictures, you can find it flagged on the What you should know, the 4th picture on the left.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Louis

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 10, 2016

The forums are being watched!

Kudos for your commitment to transparency, Louis, but for a $22,500 ask, you should make it clear that the endlinks are not UG endlinks. I beleive that the sentence in the nitty-gritty "Universal Genève comes with its original bracelet from the famous supplier Gay Frères" would lead a reader to conclude that the endlinks are also original.

HeuerLoon, Rman, zr4484 and 7 others like this.
  4. Diabolik Aug 12, 2016

I don't like to criticise but feel I have to in this case as Mr. Hodinkee is clearly well below the expected standard on this particular watch !

I would expect some sort of inspection and service of a very pricey tri compax moon before it being put up for sale for what I consider the very top end of its value. I would retain the following issues to be unacceptable from such a reputable dealer and I am at odds how they could have been missed ...

1. No case gasket
    2. Bits of fibre on screw fastening chrono start lever
    3. Damage to screw heads (all round)

Coupled with the other issues that have been identified I would not consider this watch to be worth anywhere near what is being asked and would recommend anyone considering a purchase to conduct a thorough due diligence.

image.png

Disappointing

5. bgrisso Aug 12, 2016

I don't have the expertise to comment on this particular watch, although the price is clearly in fairy tale land.
    What I have noticed in looking for other tri compax last few months is that 75% or more listings are redials or have other major issues, which are either omitted or intentionally misrepresented.
    Buyers beware seems to be the accepted practice. I wonder if it's like PEDs in sport...... "you have to do it because everyone else is"

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 12, 2016

Since I have met Diabolik, had his help on a few purchases and have seen some of his collection I would hang my hat on his assessment here.

7. Brent7928 Aug 16, 2016

I am just sitting here in sorry considering the fine and rare examples I have sold over the years - for a combined price lower than this one.....

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 16, 2016

I'm sitting here saddened that I missed the boat on these.

9. Brent7928 Aug 16, 2016

yeah - not sure what is worse. Missing the boat all together or jumping ship way too early... These plus four others over the years. I still have one, for now.

photo 4[2].JPG photo 2.JPG

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 16, 2016

Hope you kept the Panda.

11. lethalwl Sep 1, 2016

@Diabolik you are absolutely correct regarding the condition of the movement, as for the gasket it was not pictured on the movement shot as this part was on the side, with the caseback.

The watch was fully serviced prior to the listing but it seems the job performed was not optimal... The seller reached out to his watchmaker and made sure those issue would be resolved for the new owner.

Thanks for your following of the Shop

Louis

12. Diabolik Sep 2, 2016

Thanks for that.

upload_2016-9-2_9-11-11.png

For your information, the later (60s) tri compax case has a channel machined for the gasket (which should have a square edge profile) that I have marked in red. It should fit snugly producing a seal against water ingress. If the gasket has stuck to the case back, it is highly likely to be the wrong one for this case and will not be positioned correctly (on channel) when case back is fitted.

Case back should screw on to gasket and seal against it ...

Edited Sep 2, 2016
    CajunTiger and LouS like this.
  13. psfparis Nov 28, 2016

dear all

one question regarding the box, what is the original box ?
    i see different models, may be you can explain ?

ps: i have this one (not for sale) [​IMG]

but a famous french watch deal sale one (full set with a square blue box...then i wonder which one is legit?

rgds
    pierre

TylerRolex likes this.