Forums Latest Members

A modern watch that connects to the past

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 2, 2017

Sometimes, there's more to a watch than just specifications or 'collectability'. I own my share of Speedmasters and other pieces (Seamasters, Constellations and watches from other brands). I read this Globemaster review last week and like it very much, but I think it would be interesting to add another 'factor' to this watch. For me personally that is.

[​IMG]

So yeah, that is me. A young kid in the backyard of my grandparents' house, being 5 or 6 years old. My Constellation Globemaster is in this picture as it is my (almost) daily reminder of my grandparents who were fond of their gold Omegas (they bought them in 1969). Although I did inherit the Constellation of my grandfather (who would have turned 98 last week), it is not a watch I can or want to wear on a daily basis even though I easily could (it is in great condition, but the size is 34mm and I don't want to loose it).

This modern Omega Constellation Globemaster is the watch that connects me to the past, to the old and small (for today's standards) Constellation that I cherish so much. Everytime I put this Globemaster on my wrist, it reminds me of the sensation my grandfather must have had when he purchased his gold Constellation. For him, a daily wearer for 42 years since he bought it on February 6th 1969. Nothing beats a watch that is so close to yourself. For someone else, it is 'just' a nice watch (or not even perhaps), but to me it is much much more than that.

I also wrote this on my Instagram account (@rjbroer), but thought it would be interesting to share it here as well. See if more people have similar stories or 'connections' with their watches other than that it is just a nice (or beautiful) watch with great specs.

2. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 2, 2017

I understand your perspective. After all that's one of the reasons why reissue watches are so popular. For me, I think there are fewer better connections to experience the nostalgia of the past than to actually wear the past, drive the past, etc. I'm sure your grandfather would be joyed to see you wear his beloved Constellation if he could speak to you now.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. TMas Sep 2, 2017

Love the story! My grandparents were wonderful, classy and simple people and I miss them dearly, even though they both lived long and happy lives. When they passed, I was given a small inheritance from when their house was sold and split between us grandkids. I wanted a reminder of them, something modern yet portrayed their cool 1950s style. Something I could keep close and enjoy and use. As fate would have it, I bought a new Seamaster 300 Master Chronometer for exactly the price my grandparents spent on their home in 1954. Exactly to the dollar. It was meant to be.

IMG_0178.JPG

4. Pibbow Sep 2, 2017

Great story, wear in good health.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  5. nixf6 Sep 2, 2017

It must be hereditary.Your grandfather had the watch bug and it got passed on to you.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 3, 2017

That is very true, I do wear his watch, but certainly not on a daily basis. On special days, like Christmas, I take his watch out the safe and wear it.

nixf6 likes this.
  7. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 3, 2017

That is a great watch and awesome choice! Thanks for your story.

8. Aronis Sep 3, 2017

Your photo with watch on top is very touching!...

Mike.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 4, 2017

Thanks, much appreciated.