Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Just something I was pondering here with my Cal 353. Bumpers went from being everywhere to completely dying off in favor of full rotor or micro rotor automatics in a relatively short period of time and are basically nowhere at this point. Aside from their comparable inefficiency, they do work, are unique in their feel (the hammer bouncing off the spring noticeably) and would be a very cool thing visually to see through a displayback.

So my question is this... the Omega Cal 8500 is probably the spiritual successor to the Cal 5xx series of full rotor movements, but why not make, just for some models like the Constellation Pie-Pan re-issue they previewed recently, a Cal 8300, Co-Axial bumper automatic, based on the same movement but with a redesigned winding mechanism based on a bi-directional bumper. Given how many 8500 movement watches use sapphire displaybacks, and the level of finishing detail they're applying to their movements, it would be a very interesting and unique feature to have on a modern watch, especially one with an element of deep nostalgia and history to it like the Constellation remake.

What do you guys think?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Well certainly an interesting idea, but I don't think it would ever happen. The technology just won't go backwards. Be like BMW putting a 4barrel on an expensive new model.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Or like having to wind your own speedmaster? ;)

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Nope not the same, manual wind is like the engine block :D

5. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

According to one of the Omega enthusiasts that I know, he said it took a great number of hours to hand-assemble the bumper automatic movements, by skilled craftsmen. Today, everything is mass-produced, since materials and labor are both very expensive.

Love and care were given top-priority, then. It is another story, today.

Just have a look at dsio's Seamaster Stepped Pie-pan 2627 and the older model Constellations with arrow-head hour-markers - their classic killer dials are so alluring.

Despite thousands upon thousands of new Omega watches being produced today, just show me one that can match the beauty of dsio's watch or that of the older Constellations. Virtually all new watches nowadays, not only Omega's, come with match stick hour-markers. Very cheapo looking and so tasteless. Little wonder, those who know about quality and beauty still go after vintage-watches.

Thank-you.

6. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2012

The public wouldn't go for it. Only nuts like us would like it, and we're an insignificant percentage of customers. Above all, Omega is a business and businesses exist to turn a profit. It would cost a fortune to tool up to make a new caliber and they'd never produce enough to make it worthwhile.

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 1, 2012

Yes, I think we'll just have to savour our old bumpers, as I suspect producing one today would also cost more than producing a cal 8500. The bumper technology is about eighty years old and while they certainly have a special place in my heart I think they're too inefficient to consider resurrecting.

Cheers

Desmond

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

If you take a look at the museum collection of omega, while the case and dial are uniquely made for these pieces, the movements were not unique - speaks to how much more resources would be required to make a novel movement. The cost would be extraordinary and if you are selling only a few hundred pieces then you would have to charge patek/Lange money to make it worthwhile.

9. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Agree, a business exists to turn a profit. Rightly so, beauty is gone and next, I am just wondering whether quality is secondary to money-making for the share-holders.

Thank-you.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Of course it is.

This is why relatively few top-end manufacturers in any field are publically traded companies.
    gatorcpa

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

Little wonder, save for a few top-end manufacturers like Patek Philippe and Rolex, etc, most of the Swiss watch-houses manufacture parts in third-world countries, import those parts to be assembled in Switzerland and subsequently claim the end-product being 'SWISS MADE' - this is grossly misleading but legally they are covered.

Despite being 'nuts', I reckon we nuts know the meaning of beauty, reliability and genuine Swiss quality of the good old days. Hence the mad-chase for factory-original vintage time-pieces.

Thank-you.