Forums Latest Members
  1. ICONO Feb 6, 2018

Apart from the Dow Jones Index plummeting like a lead ballon, over the last 48 hours ( -1600 points ) .....it’s biggest single fall, in its History
    • The FTSE 100 fell 193.58 points or 2.64% to 7141.40, its biggest daily percentage decline since the Brexit vote
    • Germany’s Dax dropped 2.32% to 12,392.66
    • France’s Cac closed down 2.35% at 5161.81
    • Italy’s FTSE MIB fell 2.08% to 22,347.01
    • Spain’s Ibex ended 2.53% lower at 9810.0
    • In Greece, the Athens market lost 1.74% to 838.80
    Apparently there seems to be a ‘Market Correction’ in play…the era of “cheap money” is over ?

Will this ‘correction’ also extend to vintage watches, & individual Dealers / Seller’s expectation of realising some frankly very ambitious prices, for popular marques / variants ?……

The Party may not be over……but have the Taxis been called ?

2. Davidt Feb 6, 2018

Fingers crossed!

3. hotwheels Feb 6, 2018

when the credit crunch first kicked in Land Rover knocked £10k off the retail price of a new Range Rover almost overnight, classic cars and other luxurys soon followed...........

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 6, 2018

Dow is biggest single fall in number only, not in percent. Back almost 400 points today, although a bit up and down.

I cannot speak to the markets in countries other then the US, but the continuous run upward for the last 13 months was going to result in some sort of a sell-off at some point. The first day it dropped convinced people to take some profit from their big gains, so the sell-off increased on Monday. Now people are coming back in and buying again now that some of the solid companies are selling for more reasonable prices. I think it will take a handful of bad earnings reports from some of the big companies the overall upward trend reverses. FWIW, my stock portfolio was still worth more after the big sell-off yesterday then it was on January 1, and it is way above Nov 2016.

I think we will return to a lot of sideways volatility here for a while, and the big rise upward will lose a lot of steam. But there is still money to be made with sideways movement.

5. cristos71 Feb 6, 2018

I remember 2008/9 and my local AD was having a fire-sale, they couldn't give watches away. I picked up this JLC with a nice 60% discount - happy days!

jaeger edit 3.jpg

The last 3 or 4 years they don't even have a sale, so a correction in the new watch market would be very welcome.

Thomas P. likes this.