Forums Latest Members

A little help with a King Seiko

1. Jonathan40 May 2, 2021

I’m sure I’ve read the medallion was dropped at sometime and it’s 1973 so late in the run.
    Just trying to find the reference I think I’ve read somewhere.

jB1128 likes this.
  2. Walrus May 2, 2021

Well much ado about nothing I shouldn’t be so paranoid about spending 350 bucks but the seikos are tricky with all the tomfoolery going on. Very nice guy brought some other lovely watches. Went to a rather rich part of my state to make the deal couldn’t believe the number of Tesla’s I saw in 20 minutes time. Long Tesla, watch seems fine. Now I can put in what are you wearing today as I mow the lawn image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. jB1128 May 2, 2021

Excellent pickup! Wear in good health!

Walrus likes this.
  4. jB1128 May 2, 2021

The strap on mine is from Atelier DeGriff. It is the Portofino Metal Grey with horizontal stitching. It is a very nice strap that fits this watch well - I got it in a short length as my wife likes to wear this watch as well: https://shop.atelierdegriff.com/product/portofino-metal-grey

Walrus likes this.
  5. COYI May 2, 2021

Looks like you bought yourself a nice watch!
    I think a King Seiko is a great watch to own, here's my 7040 IMG_20200606_124723.jpg

jB1128 and Walrus like this.
  6. Jonathan40 May 3, 2021

Congratulations, “all’s well that ends well”
    Case is really sharp.

Walrus likes this.
  7. Walrus May 3, 2021

Gee and it got even better somehow my 350 usd watch is now worth over 2k I mean you can’t argue with eBay

upload_2021-5-3_18-19-41.png
    Jonathan40 likes this.
  8. journeyforce May 3, 2021

Yes it is legit and is a nice looking one. By the time your Seiko rolled out, Seiko realized the gold medallions were prone to being eaten away quickly by sweat and went to a regular case back.

The crystal looks good. Those were mineral glass and prone to chipping on the beveled edges.

Make sure you have them show you the date is working as a lot of the 5xxx models (KS, LM etc) suffered from the date changer cracking and causing the quick set feature not to work. Even if the date does work, go slow in adjusting the time.

Remember no matter how well the watch is working, have it serviced before using it as those hibeats will run well being starved of oil but will chew itself up in the process and KS parts are not exactly easy to find for cheap

Walrus likes this.
  9. Walrus May 4, 2021

Yeah thanks usually they go direct to the watch maker after purchase but this thing is running spot on and I’ve been wearing it a few days. I have two watches in for service now I’m going to drop it off when I pick them up, probably this week. I did think it was funny seeing one for 2,600 on eBay? Maybe that will be it’s value in 2050? The date change works fine by the way, I’d like to keep it that way.

10. Spinakerr May 4, 2021

Congratulations - that's a beauty. Glad you managed to get this one, it all worked out.