Forums Latest Members
  1. hang10 Jun 20, 2013

Hello all.
    I just purchased this watch, and would like to request some info from the pros. It is a reference KM 6312 case, which is unusual to me, and is apparently somewhat unique. From what I can gather, this type watch was made for a limited time specifically for the US market, with a 17J cal 563 movement made to take advantage of a tax savings for imported movements of less than 24J. The case is apparently also of US manufacture (has a J with an Arrow thru it on the caseback), and this case is the source of my problem.
    As you can see, the crystal is broken and I can not seem to source a replacement Omega branded crystal. It seems that Omega reference catalogs for crystals do not contain this model (per Otto Frei's watch parts associates). I am asking for any info and help I can get in sourcing a replacement crystal- Omega or generic alternative.
    Thanks in advance.

IMG_2007.JPG

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

I believe the case maker is Jonell - a US case maker. To get a crystal you'd probably have to get the diameter and then source a crystal from there.

3. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

You might have to wait for someone with access to Omega parts to answer your question about the crystal.

Correct - the J with the arrow is their mark.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

Is the case Stainless? Hard to tell from that photo. Looking up case reference 6312 on the Omega Extranet, there aren't any listed that use a Cal. 563. There is one listed as using a Cal. 560, but it is described as a "14CT pale yellow gold plated case" so the tension ring in that crystal will be yellow.

The size given for the crystal is "GLASS PLEXI D29.80 H3.10"

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

This was a US only model with the cal. 560, 17 jewel movement. It probably never had an Omega branded crystal.

Archer gave you the correct size, just make sure you get one with a gold tension ring.

I have one of these, too :

[​IMG]

Take care,
    gatorcpa

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

If it's a gold case, the crystal is part number 062PN0298.

Cheers, Al

7. hang10 Jun 21, 2013

Thanks Al. The bezel/case is indicated as 10K gold filled on the caseback (which is SS). It is a very pale yellow color... noticeably lighter in color to the gold Omega crown I added. Design does not have a separate removeable bezel- it is integral to the case.
    The existing crystal appears to be an aftermarket replacement and does not have a tension ring.
    Is the size crystal you list "D29.80 H3.10" refer to the Dia and Height in mm of a generic aftermarket piece? If so, is there a recommended source? Seems that crystals like G-S have different "styles" to choose from ...CT, DT, ET, etc. so not exactly sure which is proper. Excuse my ignorance... this is the first time I've had to vary from "standard" Omega crystals.
    Any info helps greatly.
    Regards Poul

8. hang10 Jun 21, 2013

Yes, very much the same. The watch I have was a presentation piece also. It seems IMHO that this model was an inexpensive prestige brand for the time, which had a blank SS caseback perfect for personalized engraving. I do especially like the curved shape of the lugs... similar to Connie style.
    Regards Poul

9. hang10 Jun 21, 2013

It is 10K gold filled. Thanks for the valuable info. Is this the official Omega part number?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

Yes it is, and the dimensions above are directly from the Omega Extranet - if you get a genuine Omega crystal, that is what you will get. If you are used to looking at Otto Frei part numbers, then you will see they don't really use Omega numbers most of the time.

Cheers, Al

11. hang10 Jun 21, 2013

Again, thanks Al. The exact info I needed.
    Regards, Poul

12. hang10 Jun 21, 2013

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

My watch is Ref. KL6312, which has a gold filled bezel and steel case back. The cal. 560 and 563 are pretty much the same except for the jewel count.

The cal. 560 movement was used by Omega to avoid higher US customs duties for movements over 17 jewels on lower priced watches, like these two.

Omega makes many branded replacement crystals and crowns for watches that might not have had these logoed parts originally. It would be a good idea to get it if you can, as they are much higher quality than the generics.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. hang10 Jun 21, 2013

Agreed. Omega branded crystals are much better quality and never a fit issue... plus the little omega symbol is very cool.
    Thanks for all the comments.
    Regards, Poul

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2013

Glad I could help.

Cheers, Al