Forums Latest Members

A Lesson in buying on Chrono24

1. JacksonPollock Dec 24, 2019

Recently ran into some issues buying on Chrono24 and learned a couple of things that could be beneficial to the future Chrono24 buyer.

Sellers can list the watch at a low price just to attract offers. Since Chrono24 doesn't allow you to change your offer once it's sent, your first offer must be your highest. You can't place a higher offer in private messages either since it's possible that the seller has turned off email notifications from those and won't receive those messages.

Most sellers list their asking prices high so this only applies for the few watches that are listed below market value and will move quickly. Hopes this helps. Have a nice Christmas everybody.

Aludic likes this.
  2. asrnj77 Dec 25, 2019

I have never seen low listings on Chrono24 but I suppose they exist. I wouldn’t want to play games with the salesperson. It’s not an auction site so if they don’t like me offer (which will be at or below) their listing they can pound sand.

kwolson59, Dan S and janice&fred like this.
  3. janice&fred Dec 25, 2019

so from the OP's post I am to understand some sellers are looking for higher offers than the price they post? like you, I can't ever recall much of anything priced attractively on that site to begin with, and if a seller wants more than his asking price then he can stick his watch where the sun don't shine.

Rochete and Dan S like this.
  4. Dan S Dec 25, 2019

Offers higher than the asking price? Can you post a link to an example of such a listing?

ConElPueblo and Joe_A like this.
  5. Michael C Dec 25, 2019

Last spring I was looking at an Omega Globemaster on the bracelet and the price on this was oddly low, 3500.00. It was new with box and plastic, obviously no warranty as the dealer is gray. I offered just 20 dollars below what he was asking, and it was declined. So I then offered full price and he rejected the full price. I messaged him asking why he didn’t sell it for full asking price and he said it was sold, but it remained on the listing for over a week. It was then relisted for 1000 more. I got the feeling that he was looking for above asking price.

JacksonPollock likes this.
  6. Dan S Dec 25, 2019

He was clearly fishing ... maybe he didn't know how to price it. But what would be the advantage of deliberately pricing a watch too low? Does he have multiple models of the same watch, so one listing is a "loss leader" to pull people in? Then he would tell you that the listed watch is already sold, but that you can buy a different one for a higher price.

7. BradleyJ. Dec 25, 2019

I'm completely lost here..... if a seller wants over the listed price then why not just list it for the sale price you want???::confused2::::confused2::::confused2:: I understand the idea of drawing in more views with an attractive price but at the end of the day, won't you just turn people away once they realize that's not the actual price... The whole idea of playing games is enough for me to not deal with a seller and take note of their user name for future reference.

As for people saying there's no good prices to be had on C24, I'd agree when it comes to new or new'ish pieces listed by someone who's clearly a buisness. However deals can be had when buying from private sellers who are just listing a piece that they are trying to move in order to fund a new one. Only issue with that is the private sellers can be the most risky to deal with. Homework needs to be done. I did score a 2264.5 for 1,100usd last year off a private seller. Not a huge deal but it did come with a genuine omega nato as well as the original bracelet and a receipt that it had been fully serviced by omega only 5 months earlier. Wanna say that's a $400 plus service cost for a quartz (I'd have to look at the receipt for the actual cost)

Joe_A and janice&fred like this.
  8. janice&fred Dec 25, 2019

I agree with what you say Bradley, as every once in a while I have spotted an older watch priced reasonably on chrono24, but usually they are posted by private individuals and i'm too squeamish to deal with some unknown dude in a foreign country.

9. Shabbaz Dec 25, 2019

I'm a seller on chrono and all my watches are priced reasonably...:D

DaveK, Delbok, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  10. janice&fred Dec 25, 2019

yea but i'm not looking at invictas :D

DaveK, Dan S, JacksonPollock and 2 others like this.
  11. peterkirk01 Dec 26, 2019

I am also a seller on chrono24 and once again all my watches are priced correctly and I have never noticed a watch selling for much less than market value. If you find one why not report the seller to chrono24 and they will take action against them.

12. WatchCor Dec 26, 2019

I do have seen and dealt with dealers rejecting an offer (matching asking price) and trying to make the deal happen outside C24. Thus circumventing the % fee.

As in they list their watches with a "store price" to make it seem as the best deal of the available watches.

I guess dealing outside C24 is a viable option if the dealer is well established and has good reviews outside C24 and in C24.

13. EauTerre Dec 26, 2019

Euh I wasn't aware it was possible to do biddings on Chrono24. Or are you thinking about a hidden bidding of sorts, whereby the prospects uses the "make an offer" button... not to ask for a lower price, but for a higher one ?!

14. jsducote Dec 26, 2019

I get that if something is listed for $1000 and I offer $999 then it may be refused. But if something is listed for $1000 and I offer $1000 click 'Buy Now' do they not have to take it? If that's the case, sorry sellers but I won't ever bother logging into C24 again, especially if C24 won't do anything about it if I report it.

Edited Dec 26, 2019
    Wryfox likes this.
  15. WatchCor Dec 26, 2019

Nope, they do not "have" to take it. Only if and when the seller has opted to activate the BUY NOW option on a watch it is possible to buy it immediately. In all other cases you send a "offer request" then you receive the offer and only when you accept that is the deal binding.

At least that's how it worked last time I used C24.

Tony likes this.
  16. jsducote Dec 26, 2019

OK, that is what I meant, since I've seen both buttons on some listings. I should not have said 'offer'.