Forums Latest Members
  1. chronos Jun 16, 2017

Today was a good day in Berne, the capital of Switzerland: About 30•C, sunshine, Weekend :cool:

So I went to a shopping center at about 7 p.m.

As I parked my car at the very bottom (lowest level) of the parking, I took the elevator in order to get to the grocery store.
    And then it happened...

I saw an elderly man who was barely able to walk. I really thought that maybe I should help him, which is the reason why I have offered some help to him.

He politely rejected my offer and said that he wanted to achieve his daily goals all on his own.

So he limped and staggered because of his age and because of the missing walking frame and I wasn't sure if having accepted his answer was a good idea.
    But anyway... one of the reasons why I was in this elevator was his watch. I really had to make sure if my guess (Omega from the 50ies, probably a Connie) was right.

But nevertheless, I was a bit torn: should I say something about his nice watch? Or would saying something just disturb/scare him?

So the two of us got into the elevator and in this moment, I made up my mind.

I said as loudly but "as naturally" as possible:
    "Wowwww, that's a really nice watch you've got on your wrist!" I bet it's an Omega from the 50ies/60ies!

He answered: "yeah, it's an Omega and it's at least 60 years old! I got it when i passed all the exams at University. It was a present from my father!"
    Then he showed me the watch for about 10 seconds.

I then told him about my hobby (collecting watches) and I showed him my Omega from the 50ies which I had on my wrist today (cf. picture)

In retrospect, I really have regrets for not asking to take a picture, for not asking about his model / ref#. Etc.
    But on the other hand, I really feel as if I would have ruined the "magic 10 seconds" we have had in the elevator.

Anyway, the Gentleman was reall, rally happy and proud that somebody highlighted his lovely watch. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Btw: Here's a picture of the watch I wore today:

IMG_6907.JPG

ahartfie, vienna, TNTwatch and 23 others like this.
  2. jumpingsecond Jun 16, 2017

Can't beat spotting vintage out in the wild. Kindred spirits and all that!

chronos and Nathan1967 like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 17, 2017

Sounds like you made his day, maybe his week too. :)

chronos and Nathan1967 like this.
  4. Maybe Jun 17, 2017

The people make this hobby, really. I had the same model as yours with black dial however I sold it for good money. Thanks for the story.

chronos likes this.
  5. Maybe Jun 17, 2017

Here is a picture:
    IMAG0549.jpg

chronos and TNTwatch like this.
  6. bubba48 Jun 17, 2017

Nice story.
    My "Automatic" 2766-1

omega 2766 bumper (8).JPG

chronos and TNTwatch like this.