Forums Latest Members
  1. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 4, 2015

Here's an interesting one to add to the records (I hope)

I didn't 'out' it as I thought someone here might get a bit of a bargain -sold for just under £550 ($822) so not bad in my book
    I didn't bid on it either as Hoi might have told me off for buying yet another dome-dial without OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED :whipped: ;)

Exhibit A - a SS 14900
    we all know how many fakes there are out there and how careful we have to be when any 14900 comes to market -but I think this one is the real deal (famous last words)
    However, according to Desmond, whilst the 14902 has been seen with a SS medallion, the 14900 should come with a gold medallion
    This one has a SS medallion
    But in all other respects it seems legit
    the case looks spot on -sharp correct chamfering
    -even has the old yellow sealing gasket
    correct crown
    the movement and serial numbers stack up for the correct period
    the fonts look good (under that tired crystal)

any thoughts?
    am I wrong? - or is the 'exception that proves the rule' (stupid saying -no idea what it means...)

oh yes -anybody here buy it?

multiple pics
    $_57-14.JPG
    $_57-15.JPG
    $_57-16.JPG
    $_57-17.JPG
    $_57-18.JPG
    $_57-19.JPG
    $_57-20.JPG

Edited Dec 4, 2015
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

I was hoping to get some confirmation/condemnation from the real 'big hitters' on the forum
    -otherwise this will just be a supposition from someone who still considers themselves an 'innocent' :)

regards
    Philip

3. LawBrk Dec 5, 2015

4. TNTwatch Dec 6, 2015

Since the dog-leg started, the medallion should have the same colour as the case top. Gold for gold, steel for steel.

5. christhomas Feb 28, 2016

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151989963947?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Interestingly this watch just sold again on Ebay barely 2 months later. £796 this time around. I though that it looked like a fairly good example of the reference - unfortunately didn't win the auction though.

Just posing the same question as the OP that was never really answered - any thoughts on originality and condition ?

Chris

6. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2016

Most of the fakes are done with pie pan dials to make the most money, so a dome dial has a better probability of being authentic. I'd want to hear from @hoipolloi first as the Vietnamese are doing scary good work on fakes, but I'd call it authentic.

7. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2016

It's a nice original watch. The OP raised only one question about the colour of the medallion, which I already addressed. Not sure who the first seller was, but the second seller was banned here for shady practice.

8. christhomas Feb 28, 2016

Thanks for your opinion. I guess I viewed his question as being a little broader than just that one point but you have answered my question now.

I don't suppose you would care to expand on the "shady practice" ? I've seen a few watches I liked the look of from the second seller over the past few months but this was the first that I actually bid on. Would be interested to learn more before I do so again.

Chris

9. Banner Roar Feb 28, 2016

nice case I was tempted to buy it for that and replace the crystal and dial etc...

10. christhomas Feb 28, 2016

Case certainly did look good but why would you want to replace the dial ? I though that looked pretty good too.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 28, 2016

Agreed
    Good dial IMO
    Just needed a new crystal
    My original query was regarding the medallion as I'd read somewhere that 14900 should have gold medallion
    And we all know to be wary of 14900 series
    But TNT answered that

12. Banner Roar Feb 28, 2016

Don't get me wrong the dial is nice, already have one similar. Now i am looking for others examples and have found it hard to find cases in good condition. Too many get polished to remove a few scratches and that ruins them. I prefer a few scratches on a case that has good edges to supper shinny one any day

13. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2016

He has mutiple ebay IDs and the nicer looking watches usually got listed under this one, but look out for stuff below skin deep. You can search for the latest stories on dablitzer and ask the forum's bosses to fill in more details for you.