Forums Latest Members
  1. tieanep Jun 16, 2018

This example of the Omega Constellation 355.0814 is throwing me off. From what I've read the bezel is solid 14k and both the case and bracelet are two-tone, i.e. steel and 14k.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-constellation-omega-st-355-0814

^^Above link from the Omega site seems to show that this reference came in stainless steel with a steel bracelet.

If anyone has experience with this reference, please share your insight.

The gold in the bracelet certainly doesn't seem to be particularly substantial. Looks more like plating to me.

As always, thanks in advance.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    Edited Jun 16, 2018
  2. tieanep Jun 16, 2018

I can't say I'm a fan of the design, but I'm fascinated with fabrication and this use of metals piqued my curiosity.

Am I wrong to assume that this watch shares a similar approach to inlaid gold as the Seamaster Polaris?

Edited Jun 16, 2018
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 16, 2018

The Omega database usually shows only one of perhaps several different metals a given reference was available in.

tieanep and Foo2rama like this.
  4. tieanep Jun 16, 2018

I see. Well, that helps. Thank you.

Does anyone have experience with this particular bracelet or watch?

How does Omega make this kind of two-tone? Very unlike anything I've seen other than the Polaris.

5. tieanep Jun 16, 2018

Here's the Polaris for comparison.

Does Omega use this same fabrication process for other watches?

Do other brands use this technique as well?

All I have are questions and some second hand photos.

My shame knows no bounds.

X.jpg Y.jpeg Z.jpg
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 16, 2018

A while back I tried to extract a bit more information from Omega with regard to the manufacturing processes used to fabricate the Polaris cases and who actually made them. I suspect it was Lascor. Omega were somewhat reluctant to supply any information, mainly (I speculate) to preserve any trade secrets/processes that may be involved. From a cursory glance, I'd suggest that the gold on the Connie is a more thinly applied inlay on the case and bracelet and the bezel is a discrete part separate from the case. I could well be wrong though ;)

A bit of Googling unearthed this sales listing which appears to have some extra information. How accurate the information is I cannot say.

Edited Jun 16, 2018
    tieanep likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2018

Can’t say anything about that particular watch, but Omega did put solid gold bezels on both steel and gold capped watches in the 60’s and 70’s. C-case Connatellations come to mind first - 168.017, 168.019, 168.027, and 168.029 references. I think some monocoque Seamasters used solid 14k gold for the bezels too.

tieanep likes this.
  8. tieanep Jun 16, 2018

This is great info. I'm looking into Lascor and Fontana and will report back when/if I discover anything to add.

I agree, this inlay process must barely pass the minimum threshold distinguishing plated, filled and capped.

9. tieanep Jun 16, 2018

Very interesting. Judicious application of gold for bezels with a minimalistic approach to the bracelet and case.