Forums Latest Members

A couple of Omegas that I need professional advice On Please.

1. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

I inherited two Omega watches years ago from my dear father.
    A 1960's piepan bought by him in Germany when he was stationed there.
    A odd moon-watch that was purchased in Japan much later with moon phase and white gold bezel

I am a car guy and was selling off some of my collection and contacted Sothebys on those sales and received very quickly a request for appraisal and sale of any watches i might want to sell. I sent them photos and was contacted quickly that they were interested and valued the watches in auction at a value but then said it would be no reserve due to it being better. For them or Me?

Anyway I have since then been really looking at them and how much I wear them and since I am not in any way a expert, I simply like what I like have been considering selling one, Cant really decide overall which one I like more they both are very nice and different. I wear the Moon more regularly and the piepan rarely, but that is just because the Moon is so subdued it is mistaken for a Citizen and few if any know what it is in public. Only a few physicians at work even catch what it is, and they usually own an Omega also.

So here is my question would you please look them over and clearly point me in which is of more intrinsic selling value and which would be a better/Keeper and why on a monetary sense. I will probable sell one and keep one.

Last question would be what is the best venue to sell these and what is a fair value. There appraisal was weird 4-6000 each (with no reserve) but I really don't have knowledge, again am a car guy! I would really appreciate any advice you could give to help educate me on what I have and what is the market and what venue would you recommend.
    IMG_1041.jpeg IMG_1035.jpeg IMG_1033.jpeg IMG_1032.jpeg IMG_1031.jpeg IMG_1029.jpeg IMG_1026.jpeg IMG_1038.jpeg IMG_1036.jpeg

2. rob#1 Feb 26, 2019

You’ll receive plenty of advice both ways on this forum, as It’s full of friendly, knowledgeable Speedmaster and Constellation aficionados - personally I would keep the Speedy as it’s an attractive and unusual watch with its distinctive colour, moon phase and display back. Saying that I’ve always wanted a Constellation and yours is a very nice example. Having the boxes and extras will certainly help with selling either of these.

Unless you keep both (Speedy as a day to day tool watch and the Conny as a dress watch) and get converted from a car guy to a watch guy ;)

3. Shabbaz Feb 26, 2019

Keep them both! The connie is worth between 1 and 2k so the appraisal of 4-6k is a bit out of reach...

Caliber561, Snowman, Foo2rama and 3 others like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 26, 2019

Welcome @Medic1969
    Your 14381 Connie has a superb case and dial.
    Couple of anomalies - I think the BOR bracelet may be a later addition as I don’t recall seeing a two-tone version on this era of watch.
    And the medallion appears to be pink gold which is usually matched to pink dial furniture and hands but yours seem to be silver. (Unless the lighting has ‘bled’ the colour)
    Agree with @Shabbaz regarding value - max around £1,500 at auction.
    I’d certainly keep it if it were left to me by my father.
    Can’t understand why Sotheby’s wouldn’t suggest a sensible reserve on either watch.

Waltesefalcon and Noddyman like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 26, 2019

I too would think circa £1,500 for the Connie and maybe ~£3K for the SpeedyMoon since it has the 18K bezel. That said there will be a circa 25% buyers fee on top so perhaps we are being optimistic even with these figures. After you take away the ~20% sellers commission you are going to trouser £3-4K in total, maybe less. Are you happy with this? Either way I would definitely set a reserve, since I can't see how not doing so will benefit you. I would suggest the £4-6K estimates strongly indicate that whoever you spoke to didn't have a clue.

Edited Feb 26, 2019
    KingCrouchy and Peemacgee like this.
  6. kmacrae001 Feb 26, 2019

Keep em both, and try that connie with nice brown crocodile strap.

7. valkyrie_rider Feb 26, 2019

Odds are you may have an easier and faster transaction selling them for an Omega forum member than going through an auction house.

A speedy moonphase generally scores 3K to 4K depending on the state (case, bracelet, crystal, movement service history) and if it has the full kit (e.g. box, pictograms, warranty card, manual, metal bracelet, etc).

It is a bit odd that the warranty card is not stamped or signed, maybe it was a grey market watch?

If my father had left those to me, I would keep at least one of them.

Edited Feb 26, 2019
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 26, 2019

Except he isn’t entitled to seek here of course...

BenBagbag and valkyrie_rider like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2019

I would keep the constellation. That’s a fine looking watch.

10. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

The piepan I think has the original band, I remember my dad buying the watch and I wore it around the house when I was like 3 or 4 and loved it so actually that is the sentimental one of the two. Good memories.

IMG_1055.jpeg IMG_1056.jpeg IMG_1057.jpeg IMG_1058.jpeg IMG_1059.jpeg IMG_1060.jpeg IMG_1061.jpeg IMG_1062.jpeg IMG_1063.jpeg

Edited Feb 27, 2019
  11. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

True-fully after scanning your site I released they could be fake and made in china, but I doubt it. Im such a novice I dont even know how to take off the band without causing damage much less the back. Im am really sorry I also just saw how dirty they are I wipe them off but have never cleaned them with more than a clean microfiber towel, and it shows.

12. BenBagbag Feb 26, 2019

My railtrack constellation (also a 14393) has the same pink gold medallion but I believe the markers are rhodium or white gold. I think that the markers on OP's watch are not stainless steel but either white gold or rhodium.

Took some ugly pics just to illustrate! :D

20190226_182709.jpg 20190226_182717.jpg

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2019

No, not fakes.

Edited Feb 26, 2019
  14. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

Edited Feb 26, 2019
  15. Norfolk Feb 26, 2019

Welcome to the forum. As a fellow carnut I recognise the symptoms! Take your time before making any decision. It’s a steep learning curve but you have found the right site for information and advice. I am assuming you are in US not UK and that was US Sotheby’s. My advice would be do not go down auction route. If you don’t need the money then consider maybe trading for something more suitable for your work. Or keep them as the personal connection is priceless. Either way you are now an OmegaMan!

16. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

Thats funny, Omega Man! Sounds like a sci-fi bounty hunter. Ow yes in the USA and Grew up in Europe. My favorite car in my collection is actually a RHD BMW Touring 1989 with a AC Schnitzer engine from Rossiters so I actually am not the average I drive on the right side, literally.

Your right it is a nice group of people and thanks.
    The more I think I will absolutely not make a rash decision and I have alot more to learn about the watches before I even consider it. Im wearing the speedy now looking at the book trying to figure out again how to get the stupid moon and calendar options set right, hadn't worn it in months. Complex pain in the butt to set but cool when its all right and you remember to wind it. Crazy in the days of high tech I drive in 30 year old cars and wind my watch. I think I need help, I have become a man out of time. Thanks everybody and looking forward to anything anyone else catches on the watches and I have dozens of questions I posted and still dont know. Great site!!!

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2019

Many of us love manual winds and drive old Bavarian cars ;).

There at least 2 e9’s around here I’m not old enough with my e46m to be interesting to you though ;)

18. Norfolk Feb 26, 2019

Classic cars and vintage watches go together. Your Speedie is a good match year wise for the Beemer.
    I try to match mine. My manual 69 Speedie Pro goes well with my old Manual E type also RHD.
    And I got an 86 Seamaster auto to go with my 560SL...auto of course.
    Ask away....

19. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

Please tell me why.

20. Medic1969 Feb 26, 2019

I love e46 cars esp the s54 engine. I love that engine so much I put one in a 89 M3. God that was fun!!!!

MoonPie and Foo2rama like this.