Forums Latest Members

A closer look at a Seiko...

1. Mtek Jun 25, 2018

I don’t know if it’s true, but I’ve read Diasheild works as intended at minimizing scratches, but it does make it harder if a scratch does happen to polish out.

@Archer you can test my MM300 if you want to one day.

Jwit likes this.
  2. jetkins Jun 25, 2018

Some might argue that you're already receiving exactly what those 25,000 posts are worth. ;)

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 25, 2018

Thanks, Al.

Maybe we could get some kind of coating to prevent thread drift...

McKnife, Paedipod, Jwit and 7 others like this.
  4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 25, 2018

Thank you so much Al for helping the community all the time :)

McKnife and Mtek like this.
  5. makaria indica Jun 25, 2018

Al your posts and knowledge are very informative. If you post your PayPal address I would happily make a small contribution, to help reimburse your time spent " Not really working"

6. Mtek Jun 25, 2018

@Archer I would donate to you as well, I’m sure others would too.

Your time spent, knowledge shared, is very generous. I can only assume the test equipment you use is costly too.

Lonestar and Waltesefalcon like this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 25, 2018

Noobs, don't you just love em?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 25, 2018

Thank you for the offer - very generous but I will have to decline. On occasions where people offer to pay me for my time like this, I suggest that instead you make a donation to either the Arthritis society or the Heart association in your country. Of course any other charity would be fine too - those two just mean the most to me personally.

Cheers, Al

9. sdre Jun 25, 2018

Thanks Archer for just being a gem to us all here and to the watch community.

I enjoy the thorough explanation/experimentation and "hands on" approach to sometimes, our discussions online can and will become just "oh this is what I read or this is what I heard" lots of hearsay.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 25, 2018

Let’s remember this is a lower level watch and that this same company’s Grand Seiko and Credor lines are simply stunning.

McKnife, wsfarrell and sdre like this.
  11. Faz Jun 25, 2018

Bought it brand new but it was worn on a few of my trucking journeys...

12. Reborn Jun 25, 2018

Thanks Mr Archer for sharing. As a layman, I thought that one can also tell "intuitively" that the conventional Seiko (i.e. the non Grand Seikos) is probably not of the same quality as an Omega. I have two Seiko black series watches and as I wind the movement, it certainly does not feel as "smooth" as the movement of an Omega.

13. makaria indica Jun 26, 2018

I was sincere in my appreciation, as you appear to be sincere in being a condescending bellend.

14. makaria indica Jun 26, 2018

Arthritis it is then.

Faz, wagudc, Tako Yaki and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 26, 2018

I picked Heart to keep things balanced.

Thanks again Al - please keep them coming, you are one of the people who make this community really great :)

Paul

McKnife, wagudc and Tako Yaki like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 26, 2018

Thank you both for that - much appreciated.

Tako Yaki likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 26, 2018

Just wanted to address a couple of points made in some posts that I didn't have time to get to yesterday...

I'm not really here to tear into anything, just to explore the reality of a watch that was claimed to be equal to Tudors and Omegas in every way. I won't be fully disassembling the movement, but I really don't think that's needed to show the main points and differences.

This is a fair point, however I did indicate that finding an analogue in an Omega was a difficult thing. I was primarily focused on finding something with a similar blue dial, so the selection was limited. If we look past the dial colour and go with a diving watch, like an earlier PO, then it's a slightly different comparison, but still applicable I think.

[​IMG]

I've not heard too many complaints regarding the lume on the hands of the PO, and Omega did manage to make the hands something other then flat despite the good amount of lume in them...but certainly the flat hands could have been a deliberate stylistic choice, that just happens to be much cheaper to produce...

Yes definitely this is a lower level watch Larry - that is really the point of the thread in case you missed it. ;)

Cheers, Al

wagudc, robinhook, Tako Yaki and 3 others like this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 26, 2018

@Archer .. yea I dimly remember the comparison to watches higher on the food chain.

sdre and Waltesefalcon like this.
  19. eeki Jun 26, 2018

As a Seiko fan, I'm watching this with interest. :) The black version of this one (SPB051) is one of the few modern Seikos I would actually like (aside from more higher end models). I found the hands perfectly fine for the job, but I didn't really like the dial markers that much, as they are a bit "soft" looking, if that makes sense. My comparison are some of the vintage models where dial markers are always razor sharp. Case finishing on the other hand on this SPB is quite nice for the price point. Looking forward to your thoughts on the 6R15 movement!

20. Jerseyhammer Jun 26, 2018

Great post