Forums Latest Members

A Casual Review of the Black Ceramic/Titanium Seamaster

1. Texans93 Mar 21, 2022

OP, with all the strap changes you've made have you had any issues scratching or damaging the ceramic case?
    I recently picked up the DSOTM cordura stap for this Seamaster and the seller warned me to be extra cautious when changing straps.
    I didn't know if I should do it or just have it changed at the OB. Thanks in advance for your help....

2. mbp Mar 21, 2022

It's something you can definitely do at home. I would just take care to use a nice tool (not a cheap one), and avoid leveraging against the case. You should be concerned about cracking the holes or dropping the watch. You shouldn't end up with any scratches given the tolerances of ceramic cases.

3. KeithS Mar 21, 2022

I wouldn’t say I’m particularly savvy with a spring bar tool, but I felt pretty comfortable removing and replacing the spring bars on this one. No chips or cracks when the spring bars snapped into place, multiple times, which was one of the things I was most worried about.

4. stonestone Mar 22, 2022

Just came across this. Thanks for an excellent review. I had never seen this particular model before, and I have to say I'm impressed with how it looks.

5. Texans93 Mar 22, 2022

Here it is on the DSOTM cordura. Dresses it up a bit, super comfortable…
    Thanks for everyone’s help on changing the strap…

11197F3A-836C-4579-AC53-FC56F584ACEF.jpeg AB4086CA-6F9F-43D8-9C8A-C1251A7619D1.jpeg 3D327104-0199-4A3F-82F1-1116AB5B0D32.jpeg
    ltdruss, mbp and KeithS like this.
  6. mbp Mar 22, 2022

Looks fantastic. The strap dresses both "up" and "down" pretty well. Hope you enjoy it!

7. gmmy775 Apr 2, 2022

What a great publication quality review of a very esoteric Seamaster that many would never encounter. Answered a number of questions that I would want to ask if considering...which after reading is a possibility. Your format is well thought out, and aspects of the layout are ones I will implement in the future.
    The photography is very creative. I have been using mirrorless for many years now, first micro 4/3 and then Sony and Fuji, and now back to Sony. Arguably Fuji has the sharpest sensor. One suggestion is to invest $150 bucks for a lightly used 55mm F2.8ai-s MicroNikkor manual focus, and another $15 for a F-mount to FX-mount adapter from the bay. This will elevate your macro efforts to correspond with your artistic talents. One hint, if you need a greater depth-of-field, just back up a foot and then crop the image to your liking.

Look forward to anything else you decide to post.

KeithS likes this.
  8. KeithS Apr 2, 2022

Thank you! I really appreciate the compliment and tip about the lens. I will definitely keep an eye out for the MicroNikkor.

9. Leviathan Apr 15, 2022

Nice review, and excellent story-telling.

I have one question, however. How do you justify the extra $3K this watch costs over the standard Diver 300M. Apart from the ceramics/titanium, you’re essentially getting the same movement and timepiece.

Would just like to hear that kind of reasoning from an actual owner.

10. justacpa Apr 23, 2022

One of these days I'll find a way to get a ceramic Omega. To those who worry about chipping or scratching the ceramic, the closest I can come in my experience is a Tissot PRS 516 with a ceramic tachymeter bezel. Wore it yesterday and smacked it hard into a door frame. The door frame came out the loser. Wiped the paint chips off the bezel and it still looked untouched.

11. mbp Apr 27, 2022

The ceramic body is pure black. It's a special process to get the case ceramic itself black. Not really any other similar option in the Omega line.

J C and funkright like this.