Forums Latest Members
  1. ConElPueblo Mar 2, 2018

As many others here I was primarily into Omega watches when I started out here (I know, crazy right?), but as my appreciation of vintage watches grew, as did my horizon expand to encompass different marques as well. I have had a few vintage Tissots (thirties and forties are my favourite period for these), Certinas are another recent love affair, but the brand that has been the biggest surprise for me has been Mido.

They are one of the many Swiss brands that lost their way during the seventies and I believe that the period around Second World War and 10-20 years after have produced the most interesting pieces. Common for those that fascinate me so is that their cases have been produced by the same manufacturer, Taubert et Fils (later Taubert Freres SA) and utilise a few of their patents in their design.

Here are the four Midos I currently own which all have the same general case design:

WP_20180302_16_24_36_Pro.jpg

As you can see there are four watches, three of which are three-handers and a single chronograph. I haven't been able to dig up any information re. Mido serial numbers and how to divulge the age of the watch, but as I see it, the top Multifort Luxe bumper "Super-Automatic" (the hyphen doesn't appear on later models with full rotor movements) is an early fifties production, the two Powerwind automatics (full rotor) are from the mid fifties and the MCC is probably a forties model.

WP_20180302_16_28_30_Pro.jpg

The caseback are on all models the signature decagonal Taubert et Fils patented screw-down back. If you look closely, you can spot that there is a groove running under the decagonal bottom and the actual lid. No idea if the back is actually a two part design where the decagonal part has been merged with the screw-down back or if there is another explanation for the design. It sure does trap a lot of s**t, that's for certain!

WP_20180302_16_27_23_Pro.jpg

Taubert et Fils cases usually have a serial number between the lugs - it is echoed on the caseback.

The three time-only watches are worth looking closer at:

WP_20180302_16_25_02_Pro.jpg

Note how the lug design varies, but also how closely related they are; the early bumper and the later two-tone Powerwind look very similar, but the cases are different - compare top to bottom on the stack below:

WP_20180302_16_26_30_Pro.jpg

Naturally, there are differences in how worn these three watches are so the top one with its 14K gold bezel and ultra-sharp facets will always look much better, but they all share some similarities: expertly brushed sides and contrasting, highly polished surfaces. I would have loved for the two others to be as untouched as the top one, but alas they have seen a bit more wear! The middle one (that's the Powerwind with the seconds subdial) is the one with the most different case. At first I thought it had been severely overpolished, but period adverts tell a different story; two different cases were available! Who in their right mind would, confronted with these two watches, opt for the case without those razor facets? I don't get it. Anyway, it does mean that Midos are extremely vulnerable to polishing. If you are going for one, wait out for the specimen that hasn't suffered the wrath of the polishing wheel...

WP_20180302_16_45_30_Pro.jpg

Look at how well that polished surface contrast with the brushed side - and just how flush that bezel sits!

WP_20180302_16_45_51_Pro.jpg

A good view of brushed side as well as the dome of the plexi, matching the curve of the bezel. Note that all these cases have lug holes.

WP_20180302_16_44_00_Pro.jpg

The dial in all its glory. The markers show that money wasn't spent on expensive applied markers, common on Omegas and Rolexes of the time, but the process of stamping the semi-raised markers is still a nice, luxurious touch. The quality of the dial finish is probably on par with Omega. The hands are really well made as I haven't seen many Midos with tired-looking gold plaque, as opposed to what is commonly seen in the vintage world...

Here are three of the movements:

WP_20180302_16_35_06_Pro.jpg
    Mido Multi-Centerchrono. Mido 1300 movement.

WP_20180302_16_37_01_Pro.jpg
    Mido Multifort Luxe Super-automatic. Mido 917 bumper movement. This one with the optional Incabloc regulator; probably the reason for the "Luxe" moniker.

WP_20180302_16_38_37_Pro.jpg
    Mido Multifort Powerwind. Mido 917R full-rotor movement.

These are all kept in the case by a movement ring that presses everything together. As the caseback comes off, the movement can be lifted out. The MCC has an inner dustcover.

I felt like it might be a fun read for the OF members to see a amateurish run-down of these, IMO, very fine watches. In my view there is no greater bargain on the vintage scene, but I guess that is primarily down to that these are, at the end of the day, still just slightly small (a hair under 34mm for the autos, IIRC) dress watches. Seeing them as nothing but an inferior proposition to the mighty Omega Seamaster of the same era (a 34mm dress watch in a less elaborate case, but a name others than enthusiasts recognise) is really doing yourself a disservice. I have focussed on the cases, as they truly are something else. The movements are primarily workhorse movements and the dial work is so-so, but the Taubert et Fils-made cases are small works of art. Pure and simple.

These four watches are representative of the post-war Mido experience, but there are lot of other options out there. The (small!) early automatic or manuel winding Multiforts of the thirties have their own place in horological history and some of the later offerings are really great too. The Multifort "Rainbow" Diver is a piece that I would love to own someday, for instance...

If you are looking to add a Mido to your collection, the best offerings by far are in the US. Very, very little interesting has come out of EU or elsewhere in the six months (yeah, I know - I've been at this for ages!) I've been eyeing the field. Good luck finding your own!

Edited Mar 2, 2018
    purplecat, Orion78, 0uss and 49 others like this.
  2. ClarendonVintage Mar 2, 2018

Absolutely agree. I like the observation on the semi raised markers, very thoughtful. One question: do vintage Midos have signed crowns? :thumbsdown:

I had a chance to acquire one when I was offered a Mido in the past. Looks nice but I didn't jump on it as i have my suspicions on its entire originality.

vintage_mido_multifort_superautomatic_powerwind_watch_1488364140_c881c606.jpg vintage_mido_multifort_superautomatic_powerwind_watch_1488364142_c41b79e9.jpg

That was almost 2 years ago. I am definitely keeping an eye on vintage Midos. Thanks for sharing.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

This thread has a terminal case of macroMidosis.

4. neilfrancis Mar 2, 2018

Quality watches and a quality post. Thanks for sharing.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  5. alam Mar 2, 2018

good looking watches indeed and great post! :thumbsup: ... for some reason, I’m now craving pancakes...

:)

0472E3E7-ECB8-4317-ABA3-FB5C9F745C23.jpeg
    Orion78, noelekal, Longbow and 5 others like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Mar 2, 2018

Mine haven't got any markings on their crowns, but it is common on later watches.

The Mido you show there... It could well be correct. It is a later, sixties watch and they did do some funky things there. Funnily enough, I am sure I saw a vintage advert today for a Mido with that exact dial, but I can't for the life of me find it again now!!

ClarendonVintage and joso like this.
  7. michael22 Mar 2, 2018

Nice article. What's it like getting parts for these?

8. ConElPueblo Mar 2, 2018

No idea... Near impossible, I would think. However, the watches are so cheap that buying spare movements is very feasible.

michael22 likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 2, 2018

Hellishly difficult, and they're too small. Stay away. :rolleyes:

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 2, 2018

Nice work, Troels! It took me many years to appreciate the value of a really good case design, and Mido certainly chose a high-class provider.

One small nit to pick: I'd say that some Mido dials from the '40s and '50s were among the most attractive and interesting in the industry. And their finishing lacquers, at least, were superior to some of those used by Omega.

valjoux72, khmt2, bubba48 and 2 others like this.
  11. Skrotis Mar 2, 2018

Mido is quality al the way trough,love the details on the early watches. image.jpeg

12. ConElPueblo Mar 2, 2018

You are probably correct. My sample group isn't exactly that impressive..!

EDIT: I will say though that the dials on the MCC's are absolutely stunning. Very, very well made - and when put into watches that more often than not are well protected by the elements they tend to stay that way :)

Leave it to you to have something extra-extra special tucked away... ;)

13. ClarendonVintage Mar 2, 2018

mido_multifort_powerwind_1950s_vintage_mechanical_auto_winding_wrist_watch_1515907889_1344a5b9.jpg mido_multifort_powerwind_1950s_vintage_mechanical_auto_winding_wrist_watch_1515907889_03738fcf.jpg

mido_multifort_powerwind_1950s_vintage_mechanical_auto_winding_wrist_watch_1515907889_c46dac8c.jpg

Some more buried in my watched list a long time

Would love to see others put in more interesting models

noelekal, khmt2 and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. michael22 Mar 2, 2018

I just noticed the interesting spring arrangement on the bumper movt. Haven't seen that solution before.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Mar 2, 2018

Beautiful discussion of another quite overlooked and under-rated brand. And another cool brand (like Zenith) that uses the country's full name at the bottom... Love that!

I do especially love that gold-bezeled PowerWind ::love::....

Dibs, please!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Mar 2, 2018

MIne aren't quite so spectacular as yours, but they were cheap! Picked these up when my budget was considerably less, but the joy was just as nice:

Photo Apr 19, 9 19 39 AM.jpg
    These photos were to show off the 'blued-steel' that was so beautiful back in those days...

17. ConElPueblo Mar 2, 2018

That Powerwind is fantastic..! Looks like it shares case with my sub-seconds variant :)

Btw, all of my Midos were cheap ;)

Vitezi likes this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 2, 2018

Shhhh.... not so LOUD!:rolleyes:

noelekal, Tony C., aap and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cutsit Mar 2, 2018

image.jpg I have my Dad's Mido. I like the black dial and gold markers. I'm fairly certain he bought this in the mid 1950's. I remember him wearing it when I was a child. I found it in his dresser drawer after he passed. Wound it and it keeps good time. Due for a service I'm sure. The number stamped on the case is 87xx. It's a bit small for my taste at 30mm. Goes to my son someday.

20. bubba48 Mar 2, 2018

ConElPueblo you have some wonderful Midos. Congrats
    My modest contribution to this beautiful thread;

mido O&A 1 (0).jpg

mido O&A 1 (1).jpg

mido O&A 1 (6).jpg

mido O&A 1 (7).jpg

mido O&A 2 (1).jpg

mido O&A 2 (4).jpg

mido O&A 2 (5).jpg

mido O&A 2 (7).jpg

mido O&A 2 (8).jpg

pmontoyap, noelekal, jljl123 and 13 others like this.