Forums Latest Members

A Brief Review Of The New Chocolate

1. alexgalt Mar 5, 2013

I posted earlier about receiving the chocolate speedmaster and some pictures http://omegaforums.net/threads/finally-received-the-chocolate.4216/

Here are my thoughts after wearing it for two days, mostly good with one bad point:

Packaging and presentation are luxurious.
    Keeps excellent time and all functions work perfectly. The plungers have a pronounced push/click which could feel a bit unfinished and too tactile but I actually like that. If you're going to wear a watch with these functions it is a statement about utility rather than polish.

The "chocolate" is remarkably subtle. With a crisp white shirt it looks chocolate. In almost all other situations it looks black. Only the purists like the forum members would be able to tell. On initial inspection this was disappointing to me. I was thinking something along the lines of a milk chocolate color. After about two hours, I very much preferred the more nuanced color of this watch. It adds a lot of versatility to the watch in terms of fashion and also allows the watch to surprise you when the chocolate somehow becomes more pronounced.

It's slightly thicker than most of my other watches but has a solid feel to it. The crystal is quite pronounced and there is little effort to blend it's edge into the bezel. I thought this might seem unduly clunky but it doesn't. It works well with the overall look of the watch. The watch is heavy but similar to most of my other watches except dress models.

It looks good with suits or casual wear although it probably doesn't fit perfectly with the most formal of dress. On the other hand, Bond pulls it off so we can all aspire. I think I'll still switch to a dress model for the times when elegance counts. Having said that, it is definitely an excellent example of an elegant "sporty" watch.

The only disappointment which hasn't faded has to do with the bracelet clasp. I haven't searched yet but I am certain many people must have already mentioned this. The bracelet itself is nice. The clasp, however, is remarkably subpar. The metal in the clasp seems too thin, the locking mechanism is inexcusably poorly designed. Every one of my other watches, ranging from 250$ on up has a significantly better clasp.

All in all, I love the watch and look forward to wearing it. I suspect it will rotate with my Tag twin time as a daily wear watch.

2. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 6, 2013

Thanks for the review. I have no issues with the clasp on my new Speedy bracelet, but can see where you're coming from. I have another Speedmaster with bracelet (2001 I think) and that one opens too quickly. The spring-mechanism inside is very sensitive for dust (or other random stuff inside). A way to fix this is to take the bracelet of and clean it in an ultra-sonic bath (you can buy these for 50 USD probably).

However, if the watch is all new and the pushers are too easy already, you should have it fixed.

Another worry of mine is the finish on the clasp. The fine satin finish is beautiful, but a scratch magnet.