Forums Latest Members

A beloved watchmaker is being scammed

1. Wryfox Apr 9, 2018

There is a public market nearby where a beloved watchmaker (60+years in business, now in his late 80s) has fallen ill and in trying to keep his business open, he has enlisted some much younger "friends" to take over while he recovers.

I would occasional stop by and we'd chat for awhile. I have know him for years. Not friends exactly, but close enough the he would share his family photos and trips to Switzerland. I guess I would call myself a "frequent acquaintance".

So here's the deal...I stopped by and talked to his "friends" this past weekend. They were rearranging the shop all the while claiming it was only temporary until he got better. His wife was there as well, I think just babysitting these guys, but she knows absolutely nothing about the business or watchmaking, and is a sweet old woman who helped her husband daily.

I made a comment to the wife that I missed all the "good stuff"...the Omegas, U Geneve, etc since they were all now gone and replaced with crappy quartz watches. One of the new 'friends' comes over and says "o no, we keep them separated for special customers, and then showed me the one on his wrist that he said was for sale, and was the worst fake Omega I've ever seen. I looked over at the wife and showed her a very unhappy face and then told the fellow that I though he should be careful as it doesn't look quite right to me, he then barked out 'of course it's real, can't you see the omega symbol on the back?'. The guy walked away and I stepped over to the wife and I asked her "are you sure about these guys?". She says oh yes my husband has known them for years. I shrugged and wished her luck and for her husband.

Bottom line, I feel this old watchmaker is being taken advantage of, but both he and his wife seem to endorse these guys. I think the friends are not only robbing him blind, but are ruining his reputation by trying to sell blatant fakes.

Any advice?

2. Speedmasterfan88 Apr 9, 2018

It sure sounds fishy. Any chance you can talk to the elderly couple without their „friends“ being around?

Wryfox likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 9, 2018

Stay out of it.

Florent, Riba, shishy and 26 others like this.
  4. bonerp Apr 9, 2018

or dob them in anonymously then stay out of it

5. Wryfox Apr 9, 2018

I think the wife doesn't know anything, she just started accompanying her husband a few years ago when he hit his 80s. She wouldn't know how to confirm anything I tell her. Her husband, well I haven't seen him for several weeks. They had the store closed for about a month, then reopened with the new friends. They way the 'friends' were rearranging the store, they sure don't expect him back.

I tend to agree to stay out of it, but I hate the fact this fellow is being taken advantage of, and I also feel I am one of the few to notice what is happening. His clientele the past few years has been mostly transient people who just need a battery, or to sell grandpas old watch, etc. The bane of watchmakers these days...older folks with passion for his work are gone, and the younger folks don't want vintage watches (all who read this are excluded of course).

6. Wryfox Apr 9, 2018

I'm afraid I don't follow....

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 9, 2018

Just look up elder abuse / scams ... and yes ...stay out of it. This is textbook. You are in Fla I believe? That is ground zero. Kids? might try to talk to them. You have no legal authority here and those "Friends" might just be dangerous.

8. Wryfox Apr 9, 2018

That's what struck me immediately...they gave off a major creep vibe at first meeting them. Then the obvious attempt to sell a fake watch. Warning bells big time.

One kid is in Cali, the other in Europe. Quite sure they have no clue, but never met them. Don't know their names or where exactly, he just talked about them from time to time.

He's a sweet old man, and my father's age, and I would HATE to see this happen to my father.

But at the same time I'm reminded of the old adage "Don't presume to know your neighbor's troubles"

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 9, 2018

You could express your misgivings to the police ...also might check AARP website for suggestions. I know its hard. I'd be in the same place. Sounds to me like they might have borrowed money from loan sharks.

10. heccsat Apr 9, 2018

You should talk to your "frequent acquaintance" on phone about what's happening - if you have his number-. (And if his current state is good enough for that)

Jwit likes this.
  11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 9, 2018

If you have genuine concerns and you wish to follow up on them, then there are law enforcement professionals whose job it is to investigate such things. What you have shown is commendable concern, but it's based on very limited evidence.However all actions have consequences and if it were me I'd tread carefully.

12. Wryfox Apr 9, 2018

Very true. Nobody is telling me there is an issue. Its just me and my gut feel, which I have learned to trust. Those 'friends' didn't look like the sort this old watchmaker would associate with, and looked and acted a bit too creepy. The guy who tried to sell me the fake Omega had me checking for my wallet. If I were a dog, I would have bitten his hand.

Edited Apr 9, 2018
  13. M'Bob Apr 9, 2018

Whatever happens, I applaud your willingness to help and get involved, despite the old adage that, "No good deed goes unpunished."

14. frederico Apr 9, 2018

What options are available to you right now? Do you even have a way of contacting the watchmaker or his wife?

Wryfox likes this.
  15. repoman Apr 9, 2018

Moral of the story: don't work when you're 80 :D Oh, and stay out of it.

16. Wryfox Apr 9, 2018

Sadly no, I only have the store phone #.

So having thought this through a bit more, I really have nothing but gut feel, a hunch. A hunch though, is not enough for me to step into who knows what.

Quite frankly the comment above about loan sharks struck a nerve. His business has not been doing well for some time. It IS possible these men are taking their vig out of his shop, or just straight up taking his shop as payment when he couldn't. He is an old Italian fellow (no offense of course, but there is a history of expertise in this regard in the old country, eh?). Is it possible his wife knows nothing? Sure. Would she say anything to me even if she did know what was going on...sadly, I think not.

Again, the emotion of knowing him for many years and being the same age as my father, I feel for him and what might be going on.

Thanks to all.

georgeszaslavsky likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 9, 2018

If they took over the store then I doubt the wife would be there... unless she’s a hostage ::popcorn::

Like a few said, stay out of it, or if you must anonymously report to the authorities.... unless you’re Batman in which case forward me wonder woman’s number, oh, and Jason momoa’s for my wife.

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 9, 2018

Before you go jumping in feet first, maybe you should consider a couple of things.
    Maybe your old watchmaker gave control of the business to his friends, who his wife has confirmed have been friends for years. Highly unlikely they have waited so long to start taking advantage.
    Secondly, maybe you're not as adept at spotting a fake watch as you think you are.

Edited Apr 9, 2018
    kov, Archer and Nobel Prize like this.
  19. Mtek Apr 9, 2018

I would have to do something, if something is seriously wrong I would deal with too much guilt. I’m not saying to take matters into your own hands.

I would go to authorities and ask them what to do, if anything. Search for what resources are available to help.

mr_yossarian and airansun like this.
  20. jmazpiazu Apr 9, 2018

Sad. Although I´d stay out of it as well.