Forums Latest Members
  1. Wibbles Jun 21, 2017

Didn't realise there was an introduction thread. I just signed up and barged in. :oops: Pardon what passes for my manners.

I'm from Dublin Ireland, collecting "old' watches since I was a callow youth in the early 80's. My dad was into watches(Longines man through and through*), so I blame him. :)

Have been lurking on the forum for ages, but *blasphemy alert* since I was never that big an Omega collector(though I've had a few), thought I'd be an interloper. But the community is much more inclusive than that so here I am.

Mostly collect Longines, transitional watches, military, tool watches, very early quartz/battery and oddballs(like myself). Cheapskate too. My general rule is to not pay more than around 2-300 euro/dollars/pounds for a vintage watch. The most I've spent was a 1000 quid on a Heuer Bund a few years back and I sweated bullets on that. :) Still, folks may be surprised what one can still collect even going full tightfisted.

If I were to sum up my collection this pic would come close enough:
    [​IMG]
    1916 Longines Trench with it's great grandson a 1971 Longines Ultraquartz. It's just possible a young apprentice starting out in Longines when the former was current, might have been around long enough to see the latter come out. They both tell the time, but couldn't be any more different under the skin. Both the height of technology and the "future" of their times and the shape of things to come and a snapshot of 20th century progress(though the oul lad is way more reliable and robust :) ).

*though he had a couple of Pateks, and Omegas and also bought one of the first Seiko calculator digitals in 1977. He just loved watches.

2. abrod520 Jun 21, 2017

Sorry, you'll have to leave now then.

:D :D :D

Nah, the introduction thread isn't compulsory - I don't think I saw this thread for at least a year after I'd joined myself! Welcome to the forum, that trench Longines is really cool :thumbsup:

Wibbles likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 21, 2017

Terrific introduction! Welcome!

My father liked watches, but didn't like to spend money on them. I still have a '70s Sandoz of his, though, and its a nice reminder.

Wibbles likes this.
  4. Fialetti Jun 21, 2017

Nice calling card! I enjoyed your GP post, BTW.

Wibbles likes this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jun 21, 2017

Welcome and nice (delayed) intro. The 2-300 for a vintage watch is a very good policy, on I may attempt to adopt. Looking forward to seeing more of your longings collection, a brand I admire but have not delved into yet.

-Jake

Wibbles likes this.
  6. Wibbles Jun 22, 2017

Thanks for the welcome!

To be fair J it used to be significantly easier to stick to that sort of limit and still source some nice pieces. The hunt is more time consuming nowadays.

Jwit likes this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 22, 2017

Welcome to the Forum @Wibbles ! I love that introductory pic -- it really helps illustrate where you're coming from. And they're really cool watches.

Wibbles likes this.