Forums Latest Members

WTB A beautiful, original 145.012 cal. 321 like the one I fell in love with

1. shogun357 Mar 7, 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to pick up my first Omega. Though I have several collectible watches, I never really thought about an Omega until I saw an absolutely beautiful Pre-Moon 321. The applied logo, step dial, and larger-than-vintage Rolex case size totally sucked me in. So now I'm on the hunt for my every own. Unfortunately the stuff I saw on eBay and Chrono24 was too untrustworthy, so I joined this forum. Hopefully the experts here will be able to help me find the piece I'm looking for, which is:

145.012 Speedmaster (321 movement)
    MUST BE CORRECT AND 100% ORIGINAL, with all matching serial numbers- I'm sure most of you here know what that means (Dot Over 90 bezel, step dial, correct sweep hand, applied logo, etc.)
    Full Set is greatly preferred. I would like an Extract of Archives, or something equivalent, and if the original box is available that is a plus.
    Would pay more for a 1968, but will happily take a 1967.
    And of course, it must keep proper time.
    I guess, in short, I'm looking for a collector's piece.
    It's also worth mentioning that I'm willing to pay a collector's price - for the right piece.

This may be a tall order, but I'm hopeful I can find something.
    Thanks in advance for any leads you may be able to provide, and for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers!

2. shogun357 Mar 18, 2015

Wow. Didn't think what I was looking for would be so hard. Anyone have any other tips on what else I can do? I guess it's all about patience. : )

3. shogun357 May 13, 2015

Still looking. Thanks, all.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 13, 2015

Well where you can look depends on where you are. If you are willing to pay, then Paris is a good place.

For some reason the -68 seems less common than the -67, but prices do not vary because of this.

Chrono 24 is expensive and riddled with over prepared trade watches, often incorrect and unattractive.

Most Speedmasters coming onto the market on eBay have something that a collector would want to improve. Such as changing the bezel or even hands. Certainly it will need a service. But it is the way many of my watches were acquired, and many others here will have done so too.

Boxes are rarely original. Papers are interesting, but frankly some are fake. For me B&P's are a red herring except in extremely rare circumstances. For example backing up a claim from a family member that the watch was bought new. I reckon many sets on the market have been assembled.

I would rather buy a family owned watch off ebay, and spend $1000-2000 on it than buy a married set off a European internet seller.

When you say ready to pay, a Paris dealer might well have what you say you want, for about €9000. And I don't make critism of a bricks and mortar shop charging this if, and it's a big if, the watch is absolutely correct and good.

Not one of mine cost more than half that, and I prefer them. Buying a vintage watch is not about the money. If it was, anyone could find one. A succesful buyer has, as you say, patience, but also knowledge, taste, and confidence to act quickly when the right watch comes along.

I wish you every success. Remember....you may end up buying more than one, and choosing which one to keep!

5. shogun357 May 14, 2015

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response.
    Yes, in my limited, but growing knowledge of this model, most of the ones I see online are clearly incorrect, overpolished, or assembled pieces. Chrono24, eBay, even places like HQ Milton... It's definitely a jungle out there. I'll keep looking though. Hopefully one day I'll be able to post a pic of one that I'm proud to own. Cheers!

6. shogun357 Jun 30, 2015

Still looking so I thought I'd bump.