Forums Latest Members
  1. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 3, 2015

Dear all
    This little fella is up for auction and I'd like some expert opinions please before I consider spending my hard-earned.

There is no movement or cal information, as the auction house 'watch expert' can't get the back off.
    It has a Swiss hallmark stamp on the rear of one lug.

My natural watering hole is mid-late 60's Connies so this is something of a departure for me.

I've been trawling the web all day -and from all the sources I could find, I believe it to be an 18ct OT2852 (semi) pie-pan -probably from around '56
    Possibly with a cal505/501 movement
    Firstly, it would be good if someone could tell me if this correct?

The dial is obviously very 'tropical' but has blemished in quite an attractive fashion.
    The case rear and medallion are in great nick.

I've been through dozens of threads on the OF for 2852s and scoured web images and Desmond's info to see if I can spot anything untoward with the dial or case -other than the heavy patination.

Spend any time on this forum and paranoia becomes second nature......

At first inspection everything seems to be okay -but
    There are a couple of things that bother me:
    the 12 marker is misaligned
    the 11 marker looks as though it will fall off at any time
    -this could be a sign that they've been off in the past and not been reattached properly?

From what I can find the fonts look okay but:
    the Constellation font is too thick
    the minute markers at 12, 3, 6 ,9, aren't rectangular blocks as they might be expected to be
    the other 5 minute markers are diamonds not round dots
    the SWISS MADE is tiny and forced in under the 6 marker

finally -and this might be being really picky -the star seems to be just fractionally too far away from the Constellation
    -and it's very dull in colour when everything else is lovely shiny gold

BTW -the crown isn't attached and just pulls off -hence it is sticking out

I know some of you might think that this being an old redial is perhaps the least of the watches problems...

but it would be good to know what others think -paranoia or just not quite right?

Philip
    Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 18.02.56.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 18.03.51.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 18.04.59.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 18.05.39.png

008.JPG

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 3, 2015

No question the dial is original but has a lot of patina. The case is in nice shape. If you can live with the dial then it is one to pursue.

3. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jul 3, 2015

The dial looks original and apart from the hour markers at 11 and 12th issues everything else is ok. Could there be a possibility this be a ref 2782? Even though I think you are correct in assuming this is a 2852...

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 3, 2015

thank you for your input gentlemen
    the hour markers can put right reasonably easily
    the estimate is very low -too low for any 18ct Omega -even with a 'lived in' dial
    I'll see how the bidding goes and then decide if I want to pull the trigger.
    Philip

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2015

Wonder if it'd be hard to find a gold-cap with the same dial and a crummy case as a donor for it, the gold case is quite pretty.

6. Geordie Jul 4, 2015

went for £800 GBP plus premium

7. cristos71 Jul 4, 2015

A bargain any way you look at it. Do you have a link to the auction ?

8. codice86 Jul 4, 2015

9. Geordie Jul 4, 2015

I got a condition report but it seemed to much work for me. Maybe its a unishell ?

Condition reports are in our opinion…

Lot 62; The case is 18ct, Helvetica hallmarks to the back of case. The case has defied all atempts of being opened, I have sent it to a watch expert who’s diagnosis is, it is either needs a good clean as the gunk is gluing it shut and the knife point is by a lug, (case back may have been put on in the wrong alignment) or it is a one piece case, so sorry no photos of the mechanism. It winds (its automatic) ticks for a bit and I can feel the spring releasing , the winder is loose, and pulls right out. 11 o’clock arrow numeral is slightly out of line, dial is spotted,and discoloured and needs a clean. The glass (plastic) is scratched most will polish out, minor wear scratches to the case, minor scratches to back of case, where it resisted all atempts to open! These will polish out. Approx age late 50’s early 60’s. Overall a nice vintage example that needs a bit of TLC, a clean and a service.Buckle no logo.

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 4, 2015

yep -I asked them to do the report
    Too rich for my blood in that condition
    the 'watch expert' should be shot for scratching the case
    got to be a'press-in'?
    some additional pics they sent me
    012.JPG 011.JPG

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 4, 2015

I don't know what the auction house was playing at -as they stopped the live web-link just after lot 200
    Lot 330 was a box of watches that had a lovely Tissot Sideral on a millanese bracelet -and more importantly - if you looked really carefully -half hidden -a Longines Ultra Chron.
    I was going to console myself by picking them up -but as I said they cut the feed -what the f ::censored::k ??!!!

12. Geordie Jul 4, 2015

It will clean up nicely for someone who has the skills and will be worth a lot more.
    I got tired of listening to the charity auction lol