Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

It's always a bit of an event when a vintage A 386 is up for auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110993890520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

This one is poorly photographed (poor angles, poor exposure, poor color balance, no movement shots) from a seller in France with less than stellar feedback but other items for sale that are consistent (equally badly photographed:confused: ) and back up his story of selling his collection. It looks to be pretty authentic, except for the hands which are new (but correct) replacements, and the price is not absurd given that these are making USD6000 and up elsewhere. Interesting dilemma for someone who really wants one of these....I'll stop short of calling it a "buy."

Other opinions?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Damn that looks good, but why is the time for auction so short?!?

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

It's been up for a while, but I don't swing through French Ebay too often.

4. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

That's one I REALLY like.

looks like watch season is starting a few weeks early this year.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Its got an unmolested blue subdial too which is great, and no bids! I'm slightly broke just now after dropping cash on two of those giant Apple 27" thunderbolt displays... and a host of other Apple toys, but if I weren't I'd be seriously considering that.

6. danomar Jan 5, 2013

Against popular sentiment, I would much prefer an A3817 or even an A3818 to the A386. The busy dial and case do very little for me. But if someone wants to buy me one, I won't complain...

:)

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 5, 2013

At a time like this!::censored::

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

Sold for the wanker's reserve - EUR 3700, approx USD 4825. Anyone?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

Wasn't me :(

Was it a good deal at that price you think?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

It depends a bit on the case condition which is darned hard to judge because of the poor photography. Assuming all OK including movement, I think it was a good - not great, because of the replaced hands - but decidedly good deal.

11. danomar Jan 6, 2013

A feedback rating of 91.7% does not do much for buyer confidence..

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

One bad feedback only though on a 5.50 euro item lol

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

To be sure, but based on one neg - just not an active seller - seems to flog about one item a year.

14. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2013

I am usually not much of a gambler. But after seeing the Christie's A386 and the recent A3817 going for at levels that will price me out of the competition, I just put in the starting bid that the seller was asking for, half thinking some late bidders will come in. I have to say this is really a gamble hoping that the case is not too beat up though the dial looks good to me. Not too bothered by the new hands since they are correct, but of course I should probably have waited for an all original example and paid higher.:D
    I had communicated with the seller and he said that this was last serviced Dec 2012 but taking it with a pinch of salt of course. I am just crossing my fingers on the condition of the case. Now to keep an eye out for an A3817.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

Outstanding! Congratulations are perhaps premature, Gavin, but I have to say, I'm eager and excited to see what you bought. It might turn out to have been a very good score.

Ask him to send the service paperwork along with the watch.

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2013

I am hoping for a good score too. Will ask him for the service papers. And thanks again for being an enabler.:)

Trev likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jan 6, 2013

Shaping up to be a master are you. In time you will become an enabler too. Yes, in time.

Yoda.jpg

Trev likes this.
  18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2013

Hope I will be qualified enough for that after I learn more about Omega and Zenith, 2 brands which I am focusing on. 2 brands which I like and the expertise is here on this forum. But the burden may be too heavy.:p And I have to add that you are an equally if not more frightening enabler yourself.:D

19. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 6, 2013

Good luck... I think it's a good play and I would have gone after it myself but for my personal rule against buying more than one A386 in any 3-month period. :) I think it will prove to be a solid investment. For me, replacement hands are a very minor issue, as long as they're correct... mine has them too. If you're ridiculously lucky, the seller might have the old hands in a little plastic baggie from the last service... doesn't hurt to ask.

20. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2013

Thanks MMMD. Will drop a note to the seller about the hands. By the way, may I ask what's the width between the lugs for this one? Thinking of looking for a strap for it.