Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 14, 2015

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321664688024?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And from Italy.

Dial looks "dry", and plots bare

Case looks corroded.

Hands have issues.

Wrong pushers

But the things I look for value are dial and case, and here both seem decayed.

Will be interesting to see where this ends up.Because already i feel its over value - just my personal opinion.

002 on ebay feb 15.JPG

2. flame Speedmaster Neil Feb 14, 2015

Hi SF

That's a b*gg*red ' T Swiss ' dial too.... :)

Best - Neil

3. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 14, 2015

Not the fisrt time this one come on Ebay ...

4. mozambique Feb 14, 2015

Out of interest I asked the seller for better pics and answers re. dial lume etc......................he was unwilling to provide any more info......................

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 14, 2015

Well your eyes waaaay better than my rotten things - So much else wrong I completely missed the T's

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

Movement looks like its not seen a service in a very long time, and that the last watchmaker that did service it had all the dexterity and finesse of a bull in a china shop.

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 14, 2015

IMO, if the seller was genuinely interested and had nothing to hide, he would be happy to provide better photos to maximise his return.

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2015

I questioned the seller regarding the inconsistent movement number. His reply was

Hi, the mov number is 19xxx and it is good for 105.002, the dial is also good as you can see from this ebay photo.
    Regards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2015

I'll be honest, I was expecting a horror show based on this comment, but after looking at the photos of the movement I'm not sure where this comes from. The movement is certainly dirty, and there are signs of rust on some parts, but the screw heads are in above average condition in my experience, so hardly all chewed up. Yes there are a few scratches on the plates, but this actually does not look all that bad to me. Not perfect by a long shot, but not nearly as hacked up as your comment had me expecting.

Maybe you guys are used to seeing pristine movements, but I see many that are in much worse visual condition than this one is...

And I also would not be too quick to blame the "last watchmaker" who worked on it for what you do see on this one. Keep in mind when these things were first purchased, every small town had 3 or 4 watchmakers (bigger cities many more of course), and their goal was to get the watch up and running again as fast as humanly possible. These were every day, run of the mill watches, and they were treated as such by the repair people, and treated according to the standards of the day.

Today this model is rare and valuable, but for much if it's life it was not, so people who worked on them took shortcuts. If I had to work under the conditions that watchmakers did 40 years ago, I would probably be doing the same. It was just the norm back then, and some watchmakers still work this way, but fortunately most don't.

I very much doubt all the marks seen on this one happened at the last service, and if they did not, what exactly was the last watchmaker supposed to do about it? The plates and bridges simply can't be bought from Omega, and to replace the corroded steel parts and damaged screws would add quite a bit to the cost of a service. No one has ever asked me to replace all the screws on a 321 before to be honest. If they did I would do it, but it would be costly as each screw is about $6, and there are quite a few of them...not to mention the time to order all of them as single line items...

Anyway, just a few thoughts from someone who has seen a lot worse. Not promoting the watch., but really I don't think movement has been overly abused at all personally.

Cheers, Al

timeismoney, khmt2, dc_in_sf and 4 others like this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 14, 2015

I`d be more concerned about the missing markers on the dial between 11 and 2 o`clock and the case corrosion between the upper lug.........kind regards. achim

11. mozambique Feb 14, 2015

Yeah, not very pretty. Funny, for all its rarity, seem to be a few .002's on the market recently (of varying quality).

12. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Feb 15, 2015

It seems pushers are too big for a 105.002, probably from 105.003

13. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Feb 15, 2015

Well not so sure in fact. Depends on the picture...