Forums Latest Members
  1. tbarrows112 May 6, 2019

Hey everyone

It's great to see theres a community of people who share my recently found love for vintage watches!

I recently acquired a Vintage Omega and believe other than the acrylic and strap, everything on the watch is original (And I have no reason at all to not believe the seller - he has been extremely helpful).

However, I've only recently got into collecting watches and would love to hear peoples thoughts, or if thy are able to provide me any more information on the piece, history, age, interesting points, how common it is, even a value!

Thanks very much and hope to hear soon,

s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg
  2. ConElPueblo May 6, 2019

You can look up the serial no. (on the movement) on one of the online charts to find out the approximate production year. The case is an UK production (marked "Dennison" I notice), so you cannot find the reference in the Omega database.

The watch has had the hands replaced at some point since they are devoid of any lume cutouts, which should be present (and preferably lune-filled :D ) as the dial has luminous plots. Alternatively, the dial could have been replaced, but that is less likely. So, not completely original.

Value? Well, it is a 33/34mm manual winding Omega without a model line name (common at the time, loads of Omegas haven't got a fence name like "DeVille") in a non-Swiss case with an attractive dial, but with replaced hands, so I'd say that I would guess that the in an open auction with everything disclosed it would end up costing around €250. That's my guess at least :)

Welcome aboard! Hope you have fun :thumbsup:

3. Dan S May 6, 2019

I may be reading the dial incorrectly, since there is some damage at the bottom, but it appears to say T SWISS MADE T at the bottom, which doesn't seem right for an early 1950s watch with 13.7M movement serial. So perhaps the hands are correct and the dial has been replaced after all.

Clear photos of the text at the bottom of the dial might clear this up.

4. tbarrows112 May 6, 2019

Hi,

Please see attached photo for reference. You are correct. It would be useful if anybody else can confidently clarify if the dial has indeed been replaced, as I received this watch from a full time watch dealer who said it was original.

Thanks,

s-l1600-8.jpg
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 6, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 10.39.55 PM.png

Can you see any Tritium lume on the hands?

6. Dan S May 6, 2019

I don't know if we can confidently say what has been replaced, but the dial, movement, and hands don't go together. The TT dial is from the 60s, the cal 266 (13.7M serial #) movement from the 50s, and the hands don't match the dial because they lack lume. We call this a frankenwatch. I don't know how to put a date on the Dennison case, perhaps others have that information.

7. JwRosenthal May 6, 2019

If you like this watch and you got it for a very good price (under $200), then enjoy it. If you were sold a watch as being original and paid the premium for that, then I would be taking that watch back immediately.

8. tbarrows112 May 6, 2019

Thanks for the information everyone, I guess at some point different bits must have been replaced.

9. JwRosenthal May 6, 2019

It’s a bit more severe than different bits. The watch appears cobbled together. As I said above, it’s attractive, and if you like it, then enjoy (I have a Franken in my collection thats a nice knock-around watch), but if the seller told you it was original and charged you a premium, then he’s either unknowledgeable, or fraudulent.

Benbradstock and apsm100 like this.
  10. ConElPueblo May 6, 2019

Good point about the Ts and the serial number. The hands does not look like they are from the 50's to me, so perhaps a full facelift?

@tbarrows112 - if you are concerned about originality (which I assume from your initial post), I'd contact the seller and ask for a refund. If he is as good as you say he should oblige you.

Dan S likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo May 6, 2019

@tbarrows112 - please don't edit the thread name as it will make it difficult to dig up this information later on. Omegaforums is a sort of knowledge vault on all things horological and you have contributed in your own way by posting here - thank you for that :)

Benbradstock, AdInfinitum and Davidt like this.