Forums Latest Members

9300 winding/reversing wheels issues update.

1. jcmartinez98 Sep 22, 2016

I sent my DSOTM back, as mentioned in a previous thread. Apparently they inspected it, found nothing wrong and were going to return it. I asked the representative at the Omega boutique to make sure that they had checked the reversing wheels, as @Archer had mentioned might be the problem.

Apparently they did carefully inspect, and felt there was no problem. Here is the, I think thoughtful, reply that someone at least took the time to type out. I appreciate the extra effort with regards to that.

"Thank you for relaying your concerns regarding service #

I am writing to you today to discuss the characteristics of the self-winding mechanism of your Speedmaster and some specific behaviors that can be expected from the movement.

When the case of the watch is in the horizontal position, it is not uncommon forthe oscillating weight to have a small amount of motion during manual-winding. This condition would even be present on a new watch taken directly from the showcase.

To be able to manually wind the mainsprings of the caliber 9300 via the crown, the self-winding system needs to be disengaged to release the stress from the weight of the oscillator (oscillating weight). Because the 9300 has bi-directional winding, you may observe that the oscillating weight rotates either clockwise or anti-clockwise when this stress is released. The direction is determined by the most recent direction of travel of the oscillating weight.

The motion of the weight only becomes a concern if the rotation continues during winding, even after the case is held at a 20-degree angle or higher.

Having taken the opportunity to examine your watch in depth, the final control procedures for this reference have been performed multiple times and each individual involved in the process has agreed that your watch is performing well within the specifications.

We trust that you will continue to enjoy your Speedmaster for many years to come.

Thank you for this opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Mackenzie Nesbit

Manager

OMEGA SERVICE CENTER

411 UNIVERSITY STREET

SEATTLE, WA 98101 - USA"

2. w.finkenstaedt Sep 22, 2016

If it's actually Mack sending that (which I assume it would be with his signature), I think you can trust what he's saying. The Nesbits have been watchmakers for generations. They have their own independent shop here in Seattle, as well as Mack running the service center here. Met him once or twice, really nice guy.

That's said I'm sure @Archer can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  3. richard371 Sep 22, 2016

When I hold my dsotm face down and wind it the rotor becomes free to easily spin in either direction and moves very freely. It doesn't take offspinning in either direction though.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 23, 2016

Yes, some movement is fine, but constant spinning is not as I've said before...I'll post them again...

This is not okay...

This is fine...

Cheers, Al

whyboddau and jcmartinez98 like this.
  5. w.finkenstaedt Sep 23, 2016

Wow, I've never seen a watch do that (video #1). That's crazy! What happened to cause that watch to wind like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. drhex Sep 24, 2016

Reversing wheels sticking.