8500 Movement on 2017 PO - Power Reserve

This is my first post so please be gentle with me :)

I am after advise please on a watch I have recently purchased 2nd hand from eBay: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...23230462101002

The watch was running when it arrive and I further wound it manually 40 turns on the first click position. The power reserve for this watch should be 60 hours but I am only got 30 hours (watch sat in its box), I believe there are 2 barrels on these POs, does it sound like one on them is not working correctly?

So I have fully wound the watch again (90 turns to be sure) and started the test once more, if it fails again it will need looking at, would it be reasonable to expect a full PR from 90 manual winds? BTW, the time keeping over the 30 hours was excellent.

Wind it, wear it all day, like ALL DAY not a couple of hours, and check power reserve again. Use the automatic feature, not just manual winding, and I’d bet you will get better results.

Wind it, wear it all day, like ALL DAY not a couple of hours, and check power reserve again. Use the automatic feature, not just manual winding, and I’d bet you will get better results.
Thanks for that, I am trying to ensure all is good before I start wearing it otherwise I will loose the option to return it if faulty. I could put it on my watch winder to simulate wearing it but I was trying to get a definitive answer regarding manual winding, is that enough to get the full 60 hours PR, the Omega manual is very unhelpful when it comes to manual winding information.

Thanks for that, I am trying to ensure all is good before I start wearing it otherwise I will loose the option to return it if faulty. I could put it on my watch winder to simulate wearing it but I was trying to get a definitive answer regarding manual winding, is that enough to get the full 60 hours PR, the Omega manual is very unhelpful when it comes to manual winding information.
Wind until you hear a distinct clicking sound, note the time, leave it somewhere (unworn) and check the time when it stops running.

Was it advertised with a service history otherwise it may be in need of a service.

Wind until you hear a distinct clicking sound, note the time, leave it somewhere (unworn) and check the time when it stops running.

Was it advertised with a service history otherwise it may be in need of a service.
Thanks for the reply, no history but one owner from new with supporting paperwork. I did not hear a distinct clicking sound when winding, is that a trate of the 8500 movement?

Thanks for the reply, no history but one owner from new with supporting paperwork. I did not hear a distinct clicking sound when winding, is that a trate of the 8500 movement?
Applies to almost all automatics, wind it and there should be a clicking sound different to before it reaches full wound state.

Can't speak specifically for the 8500, but my 8400 and 8912 watches don't really make a clicking "noise" so much as a feeling of light clicks accompanied by a tighter wind sensation.

Without being able to provide you any definitive information or scientific evidence, it's always been my impression that manual winding an auto isn't going to result in a full power reserve. May have something to do with the fact that a manual winder, you wind until it physically stops and literally cannot be wound any longer, but an automatic has some sort of "clutch" that prevents you from winding it to that point.

If something is wrong about my assumption I'd like to be corrected because I bet I have it half wrong, perhaps someone like @Archer can supply more information.

If you don't want to wear it for a full day, which I think would be a more reliable test of the actual power reserve, throw it on your watch Winder for 8 to 12 hours, then test the power Reserve.

Like 1
Can't speak specifically for the 8500, but my 8400 and 8912 watches don't really make a clicking "noise" so much as a feeling of light clicks accompanied by a tighter wind sensation.
My 8806, 2892-A2, EP's all have the clicking sound (I recall reading posts that comes from the clutch) when it's fully wound. I manually wound to test how long the PR would last, results were as advertised or more.
Edited:

Like 2
My 8806, 2892-A2, EP's all have the clicking sound (I recall reading posts that comes from the clutch) when it's fully wound. I manually wound to testhow long the PR would last, results were as advertised or more.

Okay, that's good to know. Very good chance I simply have not wound long enough; or that I'm detecting the same thing but my hearing sucks.

Also @Storm welcome to the forum.
Edited:

Like 1
From my experience 8500 is effective movement in terms of winding.
You don't need to wind it actually by crown. I have made a simple test - took a watch in the morning which was not on the run - set the time and put the crown in the position 0 - maybe 4 winding turns extra until I closed it) and kept it on my wrist exactly 15 minutes during cooking my breakfast. It was a basic routine with no specific wrist movements to wind the watch faster - took an egg from the fridge, took and cut the bread. Exactly 15 minutes and I put in the box - later I checked the watch stopped in 9 hours (I have to say again, there were no specific wrist movements to wind the watch and no active movements at all).
I think if you just go to your closest shop within 5-10 walk for a milk - you will get easily like 20-24 hours, IMHO
At the end of the week (office life) I get 60 hours as stated in specs. No complaints in terms of power reserve.
If you want manually wind the watch - you should get a Speedmaster. :)
You don't feel anything when you winding an auto and there is no reason really to do that + wear. If you want you could give it few turns until it starts to move. however, when I take mine usually it starts to move when I just take it
Edited:

Like 1

sound click is very very very gentle, so you could easily miss it.

Speedmaster requires around 100 turns (I have tested in the past and I don't remember exactly, but it was smt around 100 or even more), so you get the idea. 40 is not enough.
When you wind your watch you move your crown from 90 to 180 degrees, so you are not able to give it more than 180 ( but who knows maybe some of us have the ability to move your fingers to more than 180 :D
Edited:

Okay, that's good to know. Very good chance I simply have not wound long enough; or that I'm detecting the same thing but my hearing sucks.

Also @Storm welcome to the forum.
Thanks you :)

Like 1
From my experience 8500 is effective movement in terms of winding.
You don't need to wind it actually by crown. I have made a simple test - took a watch in the morning which was not on the run - set the time and put the crown in the position 0 - maybe 4 winding turns extra until I closed it) and kept it on my wrist exactly 15 minutes during cooking my breakfast. It was a basic routine with no specific wrist movements to wind the watch faster - took an egg from the fridge, took and cut the bread. Exactly 15 minutes and I put in the box - later I checked the watch stopped in 9 hours (I have to say again, there were no specific wrist movements to wind the watch and no active movements at all).
I think if you just go to your closest shop within 5-10 walk for a milk - you will get easily like 20-24 hours, IMHO
At the end of the week (office life) I get 60 hours as stated in specs. No complaints in terms of power reserve.
If you want manually wind the watch - you should get a Speedmaster. :)
You don't feel anything when you winding an auto and there is no reason really to do that + wear. If you want you could give it few turns until it starts to move. however, when I take mine usually it starts to move when I just take it
Thank you, I put in on my speed winder last night for a few hours and it is now back on test, lets see if it lasts till Monday morning.

Quick update, after manually winding and then using my power winder to finish the winding process off the PR is now over 60 hours.

So it looks like the manual winding process only charges one barrel and the automatic winder charges both.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

So it looks like the manual winding process only charges one barrel and the automatic winder charges both.

How did you know that?

How did you know that?
I don't know for sure, I was just assuming and was hoping someone on here could confirm that detail. The supplied handbook is next to useless on this type of information.

I don't know for sure, I was just assuming and was hoping someone on here could confirm that detail. The supplied handbook is next to useless on this type of information.
Doubtful manual winding doesn't top 2 barrels as with my 8806 I'm getting the specified PR having manually wound it.

Doubtful manual winding doesn't top 2 barrels as with my 8806 I'm getting the specified PR having manually wound it.
Like I said before, I was hoping that someone on here would know how the 8500 movement was supposed to work and give a definitive answer, I have no idea how the 8806 movement compares to the 8500.

The watch finally stopped at just over 62 hours, that was based on not moving the watch after a long (90 turn) manual wind and a session on my watch winder. Now it may be possible that the 90 turns I gave the watch was enough to on its own to give the max run time and that is what I will test next.

Now it may be possible that the 90 turns I gave the watch was enough to on its own to give the max run time and that is what I will test next.

it depends how you wind
There is no clear stop (as with manual), so you could only guess/or test how many turns (or hear that tiny click) you need
If you manually wind the watch to the maximum it will be the same 60+ hours

>>>So it looks like the manual winding process only charges one barrel and the automatic winder charges both.<<<

You could rotate your watch to the back and while you manually wind the watch please find at the back “barrel one” and “barrel two”. Take a closer look while you winding it. I guess, it will answer your question :)
Edited:

I have referred the question
it depends how you wind
There is no clear stop (as with manual), so you could only guess/or test how many turns (or hear that tiny click) you need
If you manually wind the watch to the maximum it will be the same 60+ hours

>>>So it looks like the manual winding process only charges one barrel and the automatic winder charges both.<<<

You could rotate your watch to the back and while you manually wind the watch please find at the back “barrel one” and “barrel two”. Take a closer look while you winding it. I guess, it will answer your question :)
That is a good idea, I have been remiss not to look deeper into the display back, my eyes are not what they one were and it took a magnifying glass for me to see the 2 barrel labels and gears. One this current run down test completes I will do as you have suggested.