Forums Latest Members
  1. pwojnar May 8, 2016

Hello everyone. Not sure if I should put this inquiry in the WTB forum or not but I am looking for advice on where top find a nice dial for my girlfriends Oysterdate Precision Ref. 6466. Right now the dial has some wear around the edges and she would like to get something new. Maybe a pink dial, or blue, or even silver like it is now. Not sure where to look other then ebay, could someone point me in the right direction.

oyster date.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2016

IMO, it will be difficult to find a correct dial for this watch, unless you are able to find a nice non-runner on eBay. Even then, you need to be careful to make sure it is not a redial or "Mumbai Special" (watch redialled with crazy colors that never existed from the factory).

Best bet would be to consult a watchmaker expert in vintage watches who may have a source for original Rolex parts. Not so easy, as Rolex has restricted sales of replacement parts for many years.

My feeling is that the watchmaker should take the case apart and see if the discoloration is from dirt that may be safely cleaned. If there is some minor paint loss, it may be possible for a dial restorer to paint just the areas near the edge. The dial looks to be all original, I'd hate to see that messed up by an unnecessary redial.

Good luck with the restoration project.
    gatorcpa

pwojnar likes this.
  3. DIV May 18, 2016

I second the opinion that this 6466 should be left alone, it looks wonderful and all original. I would find your girlfriend another watch with a dial that she likes already installed.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 19, 2016

Rolex service will sort that dial out for you, might not come out that costly for you when you add cost of going another dial way
    They will put a new dial in and charge you for it, OK if there is no attachment to the dial it has now.