Forums Latest Members

60th Anniversary Speedmaster Supply and Demand

1. arcadelt Apr 27, 2017

Hi All

Has anyone out there who wanted an allocation of a 60th Anniversary Speedmaster NOT been able to secure one, or has all demand been sated?

I ask because I got a call from an OB yesterday offering me one. I was surprised because I didn't put my name on their waiting list until days after the release and at the time was told I was well down on that list (unfortunately these lists are on a boutique by boutique basis, rather than controlled across the country). I therefore wonder if the demand has adjusted somewhat from the initial hype.

IMG_2155.JPG

Edit: sorry, forgot a picture.

Edited Apr 27, 2017
    abrod520, frazierspa and oddboy like this.
  2. DCheeta Apr 27, 2017

That's a good question. I reserved mine about a week after the release without any trouble.

This is just my guess, but I think they'll be easy to grab for a while. It's being produced in fairly high numbers for a limited edition, and the requisite 100% "deposit" is likely putting some people off.

I'm curious to see how the market will react once they actually start hitting the street.

3. repoman Apr 27, 2017

They are not sold out in the USA, yet, but each week the number drops and it sounds like it will sell out prior to the first one being delivered. I heard how many are left in the system as of today, but I don't think I'm allowed to share it. Let's just say its selling well in the USA. I also heard that they are trying to secure more Gold Apollo 17 LE's for the USA (from the rest of world), in order to try and satisfy current demand. Omega is doing very very well on all their LE's from this year.

Foo2rama and McJamesT like this.
  4. w.finkenstaedt Apr 27, 2017

Just so you guys know, dealers still get calls for Snoopy and CK at least once a week. Just because we are able to get them easily doesn't mean that the demand isn't there.

semper_shells and McJamesT like this.
  5. Meme-Dweller Apr 28, 2017

I took that comment seriously until I read about the CK part. Nice try, lol

6. w.finkenstaedt Apr 28, 2017

I mean have fun not believing me. I really don't care.

But check Instagram and see how many people (including big collectors) own CK if you really doubt how popular that LE was. I just picked one up because I missed out last year (was saving for my wedding).

7. arcadelt Apr 28, 2017

What is CK?

8. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 28, 2017

CK2998 LE from last year.
    image.jpeg

9. arcadelt Apr 28, 2017

Thanks

10. McJamesT Apr 28, 2017

My OB, in a chat with them yesterday about another piece, was telling me how lucky I was to get on the list when I did, they've run through their supposed allocation. I do think a month or so after they roll out, its going to be a different game entirely. Start seeing them on Social Media, longer reviews pop up etc...and if the demand isn't totally there now, it will be by the fall. Honestly, who knows? Just happy I got one.

frazierspa likes this.
  11. frazierspa Apr 28, 2017

I stopped by the 5th Avenue, NYC OB this past weekend and was told that four of the Trilogy sets were still available and that the 60th '57 Speedmaster was almost sold out. The sales rep. stated that the Speedmaster is on track to be sold out in the next couple of weeks.

McJamesT likes this.
  12. McJamesT Apr 28, 2017

The Trilogy is a big ask in some ways. I know that, especially in NYC, that $20k may not be a ton of money for a watch (let alone 3) but it seems like a commitment (at least to me). I am curious to see what comes of the Seamaster and Railmaster pricing when they finally filter out into the market.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 28, 2017

I'm not sure that comparing the 60th to the CK2998 is a fair comparison. The 60th is something very different... The CK2998 is a nice looking watch, but - IMHO - it's targeted at a different segment than the 60th is.

as a reference point, there's 41 CK2998's on Chrono24 right now and several on ebay (though some could be duplicates).

Personally, I think there will be some availability of the 60th once they start to arrive, but I don't think they will flood the market the same way the CK2998 has.

Torquemada, Davidt and McJamesT like this.
  14. ras47 Apr 28, 2017

60th Anniversary model: 3,557 units made.
    CK2998 LE model: 2998 units made.

18.6% more 60th Anniversary model units made than CK2998 LE model. What comes on the market will be more a function of the desirability of the design than number of available watches. Judging strictly by the numbers we should expect to see more of the new watches available for resale. However, intangibles always come into play with collectibles. 60th Anniversary is a major milestone. And the design of the CK2998 LE was polarizing, not as iconic/classic as the 60th Anniversary. There will naturally be some 60th's available on the second-hand market but - and I'm guessing here - just a small amount from profiteers looking to capitalize on demand from folks who missed out on the original purchase opportunity. Most of the 60th's I reckon will end up in collectors' safes.

15. Beepos Apr 28, 2017

I dunno about collectors safes, hope they get wrist time!

McJamesT likes this.
  16. Chronofan Apr 28, 2017

And what about the similar steel watch? 1972 pce.... is this easy to get or sold out?
    Thanks

17. Meme-Dweller Apr 28, 2017

If this goes off in the marketplace like the Silver Snoopy, I'm flipping it for a regular Speedy Pro. If not, I'll be enjoying it on the wrist during the weekends. Either way, click, click, click (that's the sound of me playing with the chronograph pushers)

18. McJamesT Apr 28, 2017

I do hope they get out there soon. I really hope its beginning of June vs June 30. Hard to pick between 60 and TinTin every day. May have to pull a Buzz Aldrin and link them together!

19. repoman Apr 28, 2017

@DLT222 has one for sale right now in the forum marketplace, so I would say "easy". I don't follow this piece, so I don't know if its sold out via Omega.

20. w.finkenstaedt Apr 28, 2017

I believe he means the current Apollo 17, not the old engraved silver dial.