Forums Latest Members
  1. johnvan29 Feb 20, 2019

Hey guys, John here. I have a late 60's pre-moon Speedy that my father gave to me years back, and a couple of months the movement stopped working. No idea what went wrong, but when I took it into the Omega boutique in Houston for repair, they notified me that the Dial would need to be altered in Switzerland and have it's radioactive luminescence shaved off. I really do not want to alter the watch-since it has sentimental value, and I stopped by the Omega boutique in NYC this past weekend to hear the same thing. The service guy mentioned that you guys here might have an idea of how to get the watch serviced without sacrificing its historical value. Any input appreciated.

Thanks much-John

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 20, 2019

Do not, I repeat, do not send that watch to Omega for service. They put the watch back in like-new condition, destroying all the vintage value. The dial replacement is a perfect example. This is a Houston search I did for a friend who has a Seamaster 300 from the 60s. I don't know anything about the guy. There may be other members who can recommend a Houston watchmaker with vintage experience. https://members.awci.com/AWCIWEB/AWCISearch/MemberSearch.aspx?ContactID_CurrentUser=-1&SearchDate=8/27/2016 5:18 PM&tbSearchCity=houston&tbSearchState=TX&ddlCountry=United States&SearchResultMatchingTechnique=1&ContactID_Display=28419

connieseamaster and Foo2rama like this.
  3. abrod520 Feb 20, 2019

I like this guy! Glad to hear they're listening to clients and suggesting other options if their replacement method isn't desired.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2019

I don't think the folks you spoke to have any idea what they are talking about. If anything Omega would replace the dial, not shave off the lume. There's absolutely no reason for them to remove the lume.

As others have noted, find a watchmaker that is experienced servicing vintage Omegas, and preferably has a parts account.

Cheers, Al

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 20, 2019

This is crazy. Really crazy.

Are you in Houston or NYC? I have to believe you could get a referral from members here for a watchmaker, depending on your location.

Any pics?

6. wouter van wijk Feb 20, 2019

Houston we've got a problem...Nowadays these guys at these service centers should now that they destroy capital of a client l if they do these kind of stupid things. Luckily you went for a second opinion in the big apple.

7. johnvan29 Feb 20, 2019

I am located in South Texas, but have family in Houston and New York. Here is a picture of the watch! Thanks everyone for the advice.

IMG_2121.JPG
    WYO_Watch likes this.
  8. ext1 Feb 20, 2019

Huh....is there a 321 or a 861 living inside I wonder???

johnvan29 likes this.
  9. johnvan29 Feb 20, 2019

No idea! I have had it for a decade but only recently started getting interested in watches, so other than a general origin story I know very little about the watch.

10. ext1 Feb 20, 2019

Do you remember how the chrono pusher feeling was? That's one way to tell if there's a 321 or 861. Smoother feeling is 321. The best way without opening is to take a video and see (to check vph), but since it's not running...

But with that dial I'm inclined to think 861 that somehow a DON bezel found its way in.

More pictures!! How does the back look?

11. johnvan29 Feb 20, 2019

Here is the back.

IMG_2122.JPG
    ext1 likes this.
  12. about3blank Feb 20, 2019

I live in Houston and have family in South Texas. I usually send my Speedy all the way to Adam Lewis in Australia out of habit/loyalty, but Blake Scott of ScotchWatch in Kerville, TX is also highly recommended, especially by the Universal Geneve crowd. Someone else on the forum who lives in South Texas recommended him to me. I have three Heuers with Blake right now, but I haven't gotten them back yet so I can't personally vouch for the quality, but he does seem quite knowledgeable and experienced with vintage. The other option is Bob Ridley, but he is like 3x the price since he has become a go-to of the vintage Daytona crowd. Super high-quality service and communication though, I hear -- if it had been a super expensive early 60s Speedy like a 2998, maybe you go with Bob. But for this one, Blake is probably fine.

13. johnvan29 Feb 20, 2019

Great, thanks.

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 20, 2019

@TexOmega, have you ever had Chris work on a speedy?

15. ext1 Feb 20, 2019

Honestly though I don't really understand why Houston OB is so adamant on replacing the dial. I sent in my 2998 to Bienne (due to missing so many parts, a thorn for independent watchmakers to handle) and they didn't replace the dial. I of course told them I would prefer not, and I know they don't put bearing on what I say, but it's not like it was in trashed condition and so I would think this dial should be just fine as well...

16. WYO_Watch Feb 20, 2019

I’m guessing it’s a -69 with DON bezel. Fits the story (60s watch), the DON bezel, and the dial.

Just a thought. Awesome watch @johnvan29 :thumbsup:

17. dscoogs Feb 20, 2019

I believe that James Huff at Hal Martin’s (on Westheimer) is an Omega qualified watchmaker. He worked on my -68 (halmartins.com).

18. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Feb 20, 2019

Very cool 145.022-69 transitional (it's a cal 861, FYI). A sought after watch by collectors and certainly a gem worth preserving. There are likely a few decent options in Houston and more if you're open to shipping. If you hit a wall, please DM me and I can help out.

Cheers
    Rob

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 21, 2019

They probably think it is a radium dial model and it has freaked them out. Of course it is not, it has spent tritium with very very little residual radioactivity. Find a better service solution.

Edited Feb 21, 2019
  20. DotOverNine Feb 21, 2019

Nice watch! The bracelet with endlinks "47" must be for something else?