Forums Latest Members
  1. 5150p Dec 10, 2017

Hello everyone,

This is my first mechanical watch so excuse me if I am telling something stupid. However, I tried to read as much as possible before obviously buying the watch and also now afterwards to research the issue.
    But I think something is very wrong although the seller (dealer) has reassured me that it's fully serviced and working 100% correct.

1960s De Ville Chrono
    930 caliber
    ref 146.017

Problem description:

The chronograph used to work well and I could time an event that took paarox 20mins. No porblems.
    BUT if I now start the chronograph, the center stop hand will start going AND stop every time in line with the minute hand. Also the entire watch stops working and there is no mechanical noise from inside the case.
    As soon as I push the pushbutton to STOP the chrono - the watch restarts and continues working.
    I can also reset the chrono with the other pushbutton - no problem.

Starting a new time measurement will produce the issue as described above.

Watch is fully wound up (or at least I think so - the crown feels very firm after couple turns)

Please let me know your thoughts - especially if I need to do anything special to avoid further defects before an expert can have a look. Unfortuantely the watch has been bought abroad on a trip so I can't return it to the seller easily (although the watch has 1y guarantee)

So I'm basically loooking for your advice or thoughts. Thanks!

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 10, 2017

Did you see proof of service? If not, it probably hasn't been. If you can return it, do. If not, take it to a watchmaker.

3. jef33 Dec 10, 2017

If it is the ref 145017 it is not the caliber 930 which has the date at 9H but the 860

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 10, 2017

It sounds like the sweep seconds hand is catching on the minute hand which would be a simple fix.

If you take it to a watchmaker, they will be able to sort this out and will let you know if it has been serviced recently.

Archer, marco, 1jansen and 1 other person like this.
  5. 1jansen Dec 10, 2017

@5150p this is the watch (146017 cal 930) we are discussing. Am I right?
    Photo of mine below

20171211_050252.png

cristos71 likes this.
  6. 1jansen Dec 10, 2017

Copied that. And, chronograph is a complicated movement. Suggest that you take it to an experieced watchmaker. Just in case it is more than the problem of a second hand catch on a minute hand. Before you take the watch to the watchmaker, leave it unwound. Don't touch it. IMO
    Good luck.

7. 5150p Dec 10, 2017

Yes, @1jansen - yes, that is the correct watch.

Alright, thanks for your feedback everyone! I will take it to the omega boutique to see what's up..
    Also will email the dealer to see if it's possible to get a discount (unlikely).

Thanks!

8. jef33 Dec 10, 2017