Forums Latest Members
  1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 7, 2015

In the Nina Rindt and "Evil Nina's" meteoric rise up the value charts over the past year, I've never really seen it discussed versus Tri-Compax's of the same era. Do people think that they'll follow the same appreciation curve eventually given the very similar aesthetics and even greater functionality / complications? Or is the simpler face of the Compax just a more classical look that will always outpace other UG offerings from the 60's?

Personally, I'm torn. I like the less cluttered look of the Compax, and don't necessarily think the moonphase seems as "at home" in a sportier chronograph as it was in the Tri-Compax's from previous decades, which were much more formal. That said, it seems silly that a Nina Rindt is pushing $15-20K these days, while a Tri-Compax will set you back ~6K (feel free to correct that market assessment if anyone knows better).

Some pics to aid comparisons and assessments:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lwong May 7, 2015

I'd go for the tricompax anytime. Now if only I could find one going at 6k...

3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 7, 2015

So, seeing as how that's your stance, what do you make of the difference in valuation between the two? Do you think it ever catches up? Personally, I don't, but maybe I'm way off on the market appetite for the 60's Tri-Compax's.

4. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 7, 2015

This is a matter of "quality" vs. "marketability" for me, and market demand wins every time. The 60's Compaxes as well as Heuer 2446/47's were considered poor man's Daytonas even four or five years ago (going for less than 3k USD, I believe), but as the Rolex watches have become out of reach for many consumers, the demand for these watches have skyrocketed. 20k for a Nina Rindt or a "Evil" Nina (ugh seriously, when did this happen ::puke::) really is way too much for a Valjoux 72 watch though. I have nothing against the 72, but it pales in comparison to the cal 281 in the Tri-Compax or even a Valjoux 88. The simpler aesthetics of these watches may have something to with it also, but I find the Tri-Compaxes to be more beautiful personally.

While we all jokingly attribute the rise in prices of UG to brand awareness created by Hodinkee, the prices of their other watches have risen by a more understandable margin. Maybe this is me being hopeful than anything, but I don't see the prices of Tri-Compaxes ever catching up.

Side note: Can you believe that the Zenith El Primero prototype with only 2 known examples (being offered at the Philips Auction this weekend) is estimated at 20k -30k CHF while the Albino Daytona with 4 known examples is estimated at 500k-1mil? ::facepalm1::

5. SeanO May 7, 2015

mmmmmmm....... Nina Rindt..... ::love::

I think it speaks more to how "fashion" determines value. As WIS we still stumble over the "yes but is it art" issue.

I think the market jumped on the Nina bandwagon because of the situation with the Daytona. The market is simply more willing to "jump" in a particular direction just in case prices run away. As Jordn stated above, is a simpe 3 reg SS chrono from anybody worth what PN's were fetching less than 5 years ago? but they did.

I love both and would dearly love to get my hands on either but I'm resigned to accepting that I most likely won't because of the price.

Old and Vintage likes this.
  6. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 7, 2015

Yeah, totally agree with the points raised by SeanO and Jordn - $20K for an unmodified V72 chrono is too much, and truly a shame since the aesthetics are gorgeous (perhaps even better looking than PN's, despite not having a crown logo). I think the biggest driver is supply. There just aren't a lot out there - Tri-Compax's included. Which is why (coming back to the original question) I think the price gap between the Compax and Tri-Compax is insane. If Compax's are running between $10-20K, I'd argue that Tri-Compax's should be well within that same band, especially given the better movement.

I also dream of owning one eventually (not ashamed to admit it was because of the Hodinkee article), and I can only hope that we're seeing a bubble when it comes to Compax prices. Who knows though.

7. SeanO May 8, 2015

unfortunately they don't bubble like that.

8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 8, 2015

On the contrary, I'm actually happy that the Nina bubble hasn't affected Tri-Compax's (yet). It's a lot easier to stomach a $7-8K purchase relative to a $20K purchase for it's pretty cousin.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 10, 2015

Bad news. It just did. Grey dial Tri-Compax, box and papers just sold at Geneva for CHF 30,000, incl premium

Release the hounds.

Fer Seamaster and nicolas07 like this.
  10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 10, 2015

Good Lord. Was there anything unique about it?

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 10, 2015

Box & papers, very nice condition. That's it

download.png

Old and Vintage likes this.
  12. lwong May 10, 2015

Oh dear.

13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 10, 2015

Doh! I stand corrected. wow

14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 10, 2015

Unreal. Even Nina owners are scratching their heads at that price. Actually, they're probably listening to a cash register sound effect on repeat...

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 10, 2015

the blight of bored Rolexers spreads. Oh well, off to the bank with another watch....it's getting so this isn't fun anymore.

16. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 10, 2015

Perhaps a bargain given the prices of others. The patek ref 130 sector 5million? The Longines Hour Angle with interesting provenance 150k? Etc.....
    I fear that more than a few on my list of "one day..." are now the stuff of dreams.
    Tsk, tsk...

17. lwong May 10, 2015

Crown and caliber's sale of carlo's omega collection will be an interesting watch for me. It was always suggested to me that Omegamania was a one-off. Increasingly I do not buy that line of thinking.

Edit: But sorry, derailment, back to the UGs please!

18. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 10, 2015

I find this thread to be slightly humorous in light of the sale today, as well as a Tri-Compax that was just listed on RF for $13K. Basically, throw out every single thing I wrote up above originally. The world is a different place now!

Edit: Here's the Lot description - http://www.phillips.com/detail/NoArtist/CH080215/81

Estimated $6-9K, hammered for $30K. Unreal.

Edited May 10, 2015
    nicolas07 likes this.
  19. Brent7928 May 12, 2015

this kills me as I just sold my exact same model - mint in box with all papers grey tri-compax. It was nowhere near that price. Ironically I am having a hard time selling my gold cal 281 which used to be the one everyone was looking for.

M_franco likes this.
  20. nicolas07 May 12, 2015

I think that having Mr Aurel Bacs leading the sale may help to reach high prices. ;)

M_franco likes this.