6 watches stolen at Schiphol Airport - 33.3, SM300, Zenith Cairelli, JLC 4ATM, ...

This has become very common and troubling. I have had this happen a few times where I am ushered into a different queue after my bag is already in the belt. Then I’m sent through the body scanner where I have no eyes on my stuff, and by the time I get back to the scanner, my bag has been sitting there for at least a minute or two.
They have always warned about never letting your bags out of your sight- but at this critical and chaotic bottle-neck, we are forced to separate from our luggage and then scurry to move along.
I thought that after 9/11, most airports would have streamlined their security screening areas within a couple years- but we are now 20 years on and they are more cobbled and chaotic than I have ever seen.

And this is exactly how it is at Schipol, plus then after the body scanner you also get the frisk if you're not lucky

It’s also clearly a broader story about faulty security at crowded airports where they shove people like cattle and separate them from their property. Looking back, the incident I experienced above happened either at the new Laguardia terminal, or in Detroit.

Hmmmm.........maybe I'll have to move Frankfurt from the top of my list of world's shittiest airports.

Not until I've been through Schiphol though, and then I'd have to toss a coin to see if LAX would stay in position No 2.

I do hope he at least has his watches insured?

I’ve had security steal from my belongings, albeit not in many years. A laptop was removed from my carryon bag and I didn’t notice until I got to my destination and unpacked. Filed all the claims etc but never got it back or any reimbursement from the airline.

Maybe one lesson is to take a picture of belongings showing the contents of bags as they’re placed on the security conveyer belt. Whether it’s practical is an interesting question.

Sorry to hear this and hope that we get a good twist to the story.

Slipping an AirTag into the watch roll, and having the "Left Behind" notification on, would likely be advisable in future. On the Apple Watch, or an iPhone once it comes through the X-Ray, select Find Items and you will get an arrow pointing you where to go (and a distance indication) to retrieve the item.

Sorry to hear this and hope that we get a good twist to the story.

Slipping an AirTag into the watch roll, and having the "Left Behind" notification on, would likely be advisable in future. On the Apple Watch, or an iPhone once it comes through the X-Ray, select Find Items and you will get an arrow pointing you where to go (and a distance indication) to retrieve the item.

What a great idea!! I know someone who forgot his I phone on the countertop of a tobbaconist. A short while later, when he realized he had lost the phone he came back to fetch it and asked the shop keeper about it. The tobacconist said he had not found anything. But the owner of the phone still had his earbuds in his ears, so he was inspired to call “Siri, where is my phone” through his earbuds. Sure enough the phone replied loudly from underneath the countertop.
You had better believe the tobacconist fumbled through the excuses but that was the best argument I could find for the loss of privacy. The AI intrusions are so huge and creepy though.

Airtags are really magic, I have a few and gave one to my mother for her handbag. She would often accidentally leave her handbag in the car or at a shop or in a trolley (not a new thing, she did it in her 30s too). If you walk away from the AirTag it will buzz your phone to let you know you’re no longer travelling with the object. So she physically can’t leave her bag without her phone reminding her once she’s 100 meters away and it’s saved her many, many times. So it doesn’t just help you find an object, it helps you know when you’ve left it or when it’s walked away to begin with.

Are there air tags small enough to be inserted in a small purse or card holder? The problem of course is when you misplace the phone itself!

So checked baggage is probably safest in this instance. Unaccompanied bags due to missing flights are minimal compared to 20 years ago…

Can you edit the message ^ to include "...who has recently escaped from a high-security prison, and is believed to be armed and dangerous."?

😁

Matt was late to catch his flight and it was that hellish day at Schiphol airport, with the strikes and all, so the airport was a zoo that very day. At the bag scan/xray line, the security guy unpacked his backpack including the roll, examined all items all one by one sandwich and all, put stuff back in the tray, handed the tray over to Matt. Then Matt threw everything he was handed back in a rush in his backpack, closed it, started running to his gate, and got his flight... and at landing time a red lightbulb when on in his head, he checked the content of the backpack, and you now know what was the outcome.

The watches disappeared on the 24th, the lost&found was filed on the 25th, and during the week after Matt was still hopeful some miracle would happen and kept posting IG pics of these watches even though not wearing them on the posting date.

Honestly, I'm finding all of this a bit hard to follow, but that's common with second-hand reports. Hopefully there will be a happy ending.

Dream on.
If there were duty to be claimed on them I’m sure they’d be viewing the CCTV tape and trying to locate them asap.

But that will not happen

My business has been broken into a few years ago and the small narrow street where I'm located has cctv cameras at both ends, do you think the Dutch police were interested in:

1. Looking at the CCTV
2. Letting me look at it to identify the suspects ( as I suspected an inside job )

Well the answers are both no and no