6 watches stolen at Schiphol Airport - 33.3, SM300, Zenith Cairelli, JLC 4ATM, ...

Hello OF,

some of you might have seen our friend Matt's ( @mattsworldwatch on IG) stolen watches posted yesterday and today.

This happened during the security check at the Schiphol airport - a full watch roll with 6 serious collector pieces. At least no violence, but unacceptable nonetheless. An official complaint was filed with the local police. The expectation on this front is low, probably we as a community could have a bit more influence as these will necessarily resurface somewhere at some point.

SM300 165.024 s/n 24703880
AMI-issued Zenith Cairelli s/n 201978
Omega 33.3 s/n 9390437
Mido Multi-centerchrono s/n 778076
JLC 4ATM
Eberhard Scafograph 200

Matt is a good watch buddy, not just in the virtual space but also in real life as we see each other on a regular basis - so it would be great if you can let me / Matt know if you ever see one of these surfacing on your radar screen as he is understandably devastated.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards and stay safe - and watch your belongings....

Paul

SM300: serial 24703880
165.024.JPG

Scaforgraf 200: Scafo200.JPG

AMI-Issued Zenith Cairelli: serial 201978
CairelliAMIissued.JPG

JLC 4ATM:
4ATM.JPG

Mido Multi-centerchrono: serial 778076
MidoMCC.JPG

Omega 33.3: Serial: 9390437
33.3.JPG 33.3caseback.JPG 33.3serial.JPG 33.3dial.JPG
Edited:

Thaats heartbreaking, will keep an eye out if any of these pop up in listings. Wishing they can return to the owner soon...

Did the thieves pulled guns?
HOw it is possible to get stolen on an airport,it is the most secure place with so many
security officers!!
I hope your friend get his watches as soon as possible!

Did the thieves pulled guns?
HOw it is possible to get stolen on an airport,it is the most secure place with so many
security officers!!
I hope your friend get his watches as soon as possible!
It happened at the security check
7312AF10-E875-4FEA-A3AA-3A1E4774818B.jpeg

Wow. Always sad to hear these stories and just a huge reminder to be very careful out there. Avoiding putting watches through airport security is a small step in that direction. Really hope the watches are found and returned.

That airport has cameras everywhere especially around the security scanners. I am sure Schiphol airport has a backups because he was entering from land side to air side.

I'm always hyper aware at the security checkpoints; wallets, tablets, computers and other valuables are often loose and separated from the owners. And there is always chaos with stuff being flagged for rescanning. It's ripe for hanky panky, either by a dishonest traveller who sees a quick opportunity or by a dishonest security individual. Hopefully video will show what happened, but the watches are probably gone. Be careful, we live in a dishonest world.

Yes, absolutely awful news! 🙁
I will also keep an eye out, if any of these pop up in listings.
Fingers crossed the owner to have them back!

Terrible and I'll of course keep my eyes open here in NL.

The times I've gone through Schipol security check it's been conducted in very large halls with many, many staff and numerous opportunities to be separated from one's possessions whilst being herded through.

Just wondering. Why did he took these watches with him? And was the watch roll stolen seperatly or a bag with the roll in it? Did the thieves probably knew he was carrying watches? Terrible news

I'm always hyper aware at the security checkpoints; wallets, tablets, computers and other valuables are often loose and separated from the owners. And there is always chaos with stuff being flagged for rescanning. It's ripe for hanky panky, either by a dishonest traveller who sees a quick opportunity or by a dishonest security individual. Hopefully video will show what happened, but the watches are probably gone. Be careful, we live in a dishonest world.
I passed through two scanners today at Dubai and Istanbul and both times I put my watch and wallet inside my laptop case in a zipper pocket, they never ask me to take them out ever and I do it a lot.

I feel really sorry for Matt, he’s a nice guy and those watches are beautiful and valuable. I also admire how he puts it in perspective and I hope the watches are found.

Personally though, I usually leave all valuables at home when I travel, having once been burnt with the theft of favorite sunglasses in my hotel room,
I want the peace of mind to be worry-free about property, which is more likely to be mis-placed when one is away from usual surroundings.
Edited:

I put my watch and wallet inside my laptop case in a zipper pocket, they never ask me to take them out ever and I do it a lot.
This is exactly what I do and have also never been asked to take them out.

Just wondering. Why did he took these watches with him? And was the watch roll stolen seperatly or a bag with the roll in it? Did the thieves probably knew he was carrying watches? Terrible news

Reading between the lines, it almost seems as though these were forgotten or misplaced...then went missing? Just the way it reads to me...

Reading between the lines, it almost seems as though these were forgotten or misplaced...then went missing? Just the way it reads to me...
I agree, that's exactly how it read to me as well.

Does he have the serials to post here just so they’re indexed and people can find them if they’re offered these watches at some point in the future.

On the 24th of April the watches were lost/stolen. I know there was a big strike that day on Schiphol with total chaos. It was here big news in the Netherlands. A buddy of mine would go on holiday to Portugal but eventually his flight was cancelled and he never went.

In the US they have broken up a few rings of either TSA or baggage handlers running some organized theft rings. The FBI also runs those “tests and get rocket launchers and other weapons through those checkpoints.
I never really feel that much safer going through those things. Hopefully it’s not the same elsewhere I’m pretty convinced the US is reaching like sodom and Gomorrah levels these days except me, I’m still ok.