Forums Latest Members
  1. shoota70 Jan 8, 2015

Hi. Which on is better?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2015

565 has quick set date, which you will appreciate.

3. shoota70 Jan 8, 2015

Thanks Al.

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

But 562 does have a semi-quick set date, which is a hellava lot better than the slow-set date movements.

5. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2015

The only drawback to the quickset date on the 565 is it functions by pulling out, then pushing in, the crown. If you need to adjust the time but pull the crown one place too far (which is EASY to mistakenly do), you then have to pull-push pull-push pull-push your way through the calendar to get back to the correct date.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

My preference is the 551 approach to date setting :D

Too many times spinning hands like a top on 353/355s took the fun out of it for me

dragoman likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 9, 2015

I do not love non-quickset calibers, mostly as I cannot abide wearing a watch with the wrong date and setting them is a PITA. The few I have tend to be worn when I pick them up and find the date only a day or three short of current.

There is a big upside to avoiding non-quickset references though - the restriction saves me money as it significantly shrinks the universe of potential vintage acquisitions. :p

8. Hijak Jan 9, 2015

Bartok24 and NT931 like this.
  9. TNTwatch Jan 9, 2015

I like the pretty quick date of the 504. It's quicker than the 561 and not as flimsy as the 564.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 9, 2015

.....oh there is a need to adjust date in vintage watch?.......I just know that :D

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 9, 2015

Quick-set dates on 50+-year old watches frighten me.
    It's also a good excuse to work the vintage date watch into the rotation the day after the date at which it stopped. That way when I set the time forward, I go straight to the time, or add 12 hours if it stopped before noon.

12. TNTwatch Jan 9, 2015

Do you have some good tip on how to know if it stopped before or after noon? ;)

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 9, 2015

hey...I know what I meant, even if it didn't make sense the way I wrote it!
    I'll try again...

565!!!
    But I wear mine a few days and put it away. I'll see what date it stops, then wear it the next date. I simply advance the time past midnight and set the correct time. No need to tug! The stem. The watch stem.
    I'm going to cease effort to communicate for a little while...! ;)

TNTwatch likes this.
  14. Canuck Jan 9, 2015

Hijak,

A calibre 355, bumper automatic, circa 1955? I have one,munfortunately with no case! Nice watch considering the vintage!

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2015

Why do they frighten you?

Cheers, Al

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2015

I'll allow it may just be in my head, but...
    I have read on other threads that the quick-set setting mechanisms for 60's and older watches can be a point of weakness. The Omega c. 56x was mentioned as one of those.
    When I operate the quick-set on my c. 565 Geneve, I can't help but feel it is a "violent" action (again, maybe I imagine this too vividly). I had a brief discussion with Dennis about setting the date on an IWC cal. 8541, and we agreed the quick-set operation on 50-year old watches was potentially wonky.
    I would love assurance otherwise, but still choose to bring my "old" (old as me?) Omega into the rotation as I outlined before. I sort of use it as an "excuse" and look forward to wearing it the day after the date it stops.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2015

Well I'm not sure you can generalize like you have, because there are vast differences in how date change and quick set mechanisms work across watches that are in the period you mention. The risk is a case by case basis, depending on the design used.

But if you look at a Cal. 565 in particular (since it is the topic of this thread), in my view it is no more susceptible to damage than say a modern ETA 7750 is.

Can it be damaged? Yes it can. Is it likely to be damaged if you follow the "rules"? Not at all.

Note that Omega updated the quick change mechanism to minimize damage if the quick date is used while the date change is already engaged. Based on what I see come into my shop, not all these movements have been updated over the years, so when one comes in with the older part inside, I change it to the newer one.

Dennis makes the point about pulling the crown out too far and remarked that it is very easy to do. If you are unable to pull the crown out to the time setting position without overshooting it (because you have to use enough force to pull it out that you can't control how far it's been pulled) then I am going to suggest the setting mechanism is not properly lubricated likely, or there is another issue such as corrosion, wear, etc.

The fact is I service a lot of the 565 (and also have done 564's and lots of 563's, which also have quick set), and broken parts on these mechanisms are not common at all.

Cheers, Al

Time Exposure likes this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

All of this is easy if you just learn to live in the past. :coffee:

grumpy-old-man.jpg

Edited Jan 10, 2015
  19. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2015

Considering mine was serviced a couple years ago, perhaps I should just enjoy it whenever the mood strikes (I am anal about having the correct date and AM/PM). I consider it a personal challenge to switch from 40-42mm down to the 34mm of the 565-powered Geneve. But it's a beautiful watch that belonged to the priest that married my wife and I, so in addition to being priceless I love being the "caretaker."
    Even if the priest (who lives in our "granny flat" 30 feet away) is amused that I'm so enthralled with his "old watch."

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 10, 2015

Is this some kind of religious insurance policy?

rhetoric and Time Exposure like this.