50th Birthday and travels

Hi All,

I don't post much here. I have a Seamaster 2254 which I bought in London in 2008 and absolutely love. It has been away for service for the past couple of months and I got it back 2 days ago and am dead happy with the service.

I am going to be 50 next July and want to buy a watch to celebrate the milestone, I know this is an Omega foru
m and these watches all not all Omegas but I am trying to narrow my selection down to one of these (in no particular order) -
Rolex Datejust

Omega Speedmaster moonwatch sapphire 310.30.42.50.01.002

Omega Seamaster Diver 300m 210.30.42.20.04.001

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 215.30.44.21.03.001

I was going to ask which is best but it is a stupid question as they are all so different and a matter of personal taste. My current favourite is the date just but I think I have little to no chance of sourcing one of those at msrp so the next choice is the white face seamaster.

I live near Charlotte, NC and am off to Tokyo, Hanoi and Bangkok next month. With the strength of the USD, Do you think I would be better off buying a watch on my travels or is there better value buying in the US?

Thanks all,
Edited:

My next choices will be in that order : Moonwatch, Seamaster Planet Ocean blue dial and the last Seamaster white dial.

Any pictures of your 2254? For what it's worth for me the white Seamaster!

Any pictures of your 2254? For what it's worth for me the white Seamaster!

Sure......

I think the white seamaster is a nice contrast to the watch I already have. The clasp was really scratched before the service and I also got a new bezel.

Since you already have a very nice dive watch I'd put it between the Datejust and Moonwatch. Tough call, but I'd lean a bit towards the Datejust if you can wait it out and eventually get one at retail.

Get the Speedy for your 50th, get your name down and you might get the Rolex for your 60th.😉

Get the Speedy for your 50th, get your name down and you might get the Rolex for your 60th.😉

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

In a few years time all these watches will look outdated due to design, color, size or whatever tastes changes will come, I said all but in fact it will not be the case for the speedy that will remain a classic forever. A watch that can be classy with a nice leather strap or sporty with a steel bracelet. Furthermore a chronograph will bring contrast to the nice dive watch you have while having a family look. Look for a sapphire sandwich (it is soooo nice inside !) with the new movement 3681 to have coaxial escarpment, silicium spire and antimagnetic protection.

No, I don't post here much, but the Rolex is hideous and the Speedmaster is awesome. You asked.

Dan

Happy Birthday in advance. They are all good watches, so it's really just a matter of personal taste for you. Everyone is different. Buy the one that will give YOU the most enjoyment. 👍

In a few years time all these watches will look outdated due to design, color, size or whatever tastes changes will come, I said all but in fact it will not be the case for the speedy that will remain a classic forever. A watch that can be classy with a nice leather strap or sporty with a steel bracelet. Furthermore a chronograph will bring contrast to the nice dive watch you have while having a family look. Look for a sapphire sandwich (it is soooo nice inside !) with the new movement 3681 to have coaxial escarpment, silicium spire and antimagnetic protection.

I was in Schiffmans in Winston Salem on Saturday picking up my 2254 and I tried on a speedmaster and a planet ocean with an orange bezel. My wife liked the planet ocean and I said to her almost exactly what you just mentioned.
Edited:

I’m not trying to advocate one way or the other but if we’re talking classics that will age well the Datejust has been around, largely unchanged, for longer than the speedy. Agree that the new Moonwatch is spectacular. Can’t go wrong.

I say get birthyear (‘73) Speedy and DJ for around the same price as just one of the new ones from the above list. Then buy a Seiko for beater/beach/pool duty.

I think the date just is a classic, in that configuration is a bit loud for my taste but might suit the OP perfectly.

I’d take advantage of the dollar / yen rate and pick up something lightly used in Japan, a great holiday souvenir.,