Forums Latest Members
  1. Kev T Jul 23, 2019

Hello,

New to the forum and vintage watch collecting.
    I would really like to purchase a Mark 2 dated from 1969 to celebrate my 50th Birthday this year.
    I found one on eBay and would welcome any comments as I do not much experience yet.
    The watch looks 'honest' to me with some expected patina and the serial number 27xxx I have found dates from 1969 (I think!).
    The link is here;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-Sp...nograph-vintage-watch-handwinder/202448689660Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank you in anticipation.

Kev

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2019

Post photos, not just the link.

DaveK likes this.
  3. Kev T Jul 23, 2019

Etp095 likes this.
  4. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Bump
    Any help appreciated as auction runs out soon.

Thank you!

5. jaguar11 Jul 24, 2019

Painstaking research and learning about the model you want to buy leads to the ability to ask intuitive questions and is part of the fun of buying. I can't really comment on this piece as I am no expert but the best of luck in your quest!!!

6. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Jaguar 11 thank you for the comment. Yes I am learning and I have done a fair bit of research and this piece is where I have ended up.

I would be nice to get a second option from someone who has been doing this for a long time rather than my few months!

7. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

With regard to questions, the description says that the case has been lightly polished once, on this model it imperative that the 'sunburst' is maintained, unfortunately I can't tell.

Also the hands looked cracked, I'm not too sure if this is an issue or not. I think it's better to maintain the original hands rather than replace where possible.

The lume looks pretty much non-exisitent, thus this may be an original dial. Comparing it to other photos I have seen it look original but again, I'm not an expert. Hands also look correct to me.

Thanks

8. ChrisN Jul 24, 2019

Hi Kev

I'm no expert in these but overall, the watch looks tired. The minute hand is poor and the others aren't brilliant so I'd think after a while looking at this dial, you'll end up feeling disappointed. The case looks soft to me and I don't see the finish either plus, some of the movement parts are either dirty or have been badly re-finished possibly after some corrosion has been removed. Lots of annoying scratches as well. I also don't see a recent service in the advert or a warranty and a service won't be cheap for this.

Like I say, I don't think it's an attractive package and wouldn't buy it myself.

Cheers, Chris

9. ChrisN Jul 24, 2019

DaveK likes this.
  10. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Chris,

That is great thank you very much for the info. I do tend to agree it does look tired but I was trying to justify that with the age! As I say it's my 50th this year and thus I really wanted a 1969 watch, this is only one of 2 that I have found. The other looks worse than this!

The price isn't too bad thus I could spend some on a sympathetic refurb?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

11. Screwbacks Jul 24, 2019

12. ChrisN Jul 24, 2019

Hi Kev

It's tough to get one of exactly the age you want - are you using this link and does it work for Mark IIs? I don't know but I suppose it does.
    https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/productiondateprediction/

You will have to get a service anyway on that watch - quick estimate would be £500+ so, adding on case refinishing and a new pair of tritium hands (or re-doing those) could bring you close to £1000. I doubt it's ever worth spending less on a watch and then bringing it back to a better standard, unless it has sentimental value, as the costs could spiral quickly.

I can see you want a watch this year (!) but I think it would be worth spending a little more time choosing. It's a tough call and vintage watches can be a minefield and money pit. It's a special present and one you want to keep so, look for the best you can get.

What does the other one look like?

Cheers, Chris

DaveK and KingCrouchy like this.
  13. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

14. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Chris,

Thank you for the info, I have not seen this site before, and yes it should be fine for Mark 2's. It dates this one as September 1969 and my Birthday is November, that's about as close as I'm going to get!

I realise that there will be additional costs. The other one has chips in the case and frankly does not look to good although the dial is much better. It is also £1k more expensive. If further work is required on this it would ultimately be more expensive.

It is becoming clear that I'm going to have to spend £3k + for what I want, I thought I may have been lucky finding this one for £2k.

It's a tough decision so the sentimental point may come into it (the year)!

Thanks for the post.

15. ChrisN Jul 24, 2019

Good luck Kev! Don't know how accurate that site is but, I think it was made by someone on here (apologies to that person, as I really can't remember) and generally, it seems to be very good for the moon watch models.

If you're going for that one, try an offer to offset the extra costs:thumbsup:.

Cheers, Chris

16. omegaswisst Jul 24, 2019

Hi @Kev T

Welcome to the forum.

ChrisN has given you some good advice about the movement and case.

The chrono hand and hands at the 3 and 6 o'clock subdials look like they have been repainted.

I would prefer to wait for a better example to come along. Trying to find one from 1969 will require extra patience.

However, if you really like this reference I think condition should overide the date of manufacture.

Dr No likes this.
  17. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Chris,

Thank you. I will see what I can do. It seems like the chances of finding another one from 1969 before my Birthday in November is unlikely! Maybe I should have started my search a few years ago haha.

Kev

ChrisN likes this.
  18. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Omegaswisst thank you.

I have a hard decision to make due to timing, I would ideally like to wait but.....let's see if I can get a reasonable price. If not then back to the drawing board!

Cheers

Kev

19. Screwbacks Jul 24, 2019

the subject watch is a racing speedmaster, not a moonwatch speedy because of the reference case variation. if your focus is more on your birthyear, this could be the watch for. unless you are really looking for a moonwatch speedy 1969 which might command a higher price.

20. Kev T Jul 24, 2019

Screwbacks,

The search that I did from ChrisN's link seems to tie up with the information I gleaned from here;

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-articles/omega/omega-serial-numbers-by-year/

The last column 'Speedmaster Only' put this watch as a 1969 model, the same as the link from ChrisN.

I am assuming that the case being a Speedmaster variant, not necessarily a moonwatch, kind of makes sense and the last column of the table would apply.

I also found another site; http://www.chronomaddox.com/romans.html this puts the watch at the 2nd half of 1969. Again it states Speedmaster and has references mentioned but I think that from all the evidence this is a 1969 model. Well, at least I hope it is!

Thank you

Kev

Thank you.

Screwbacks likes this.