Forums Latest Members

50+ Year Old Unopened Bottle of Scotch......What To Do With It?

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 24, 2016

This bottle has been hanging around our family for a long time...Unopened.

Not a Scotch drinker BUT I suspect some members are..........big time.

What to do with this UNOPENED (NOS :)) bottle of WHITE HORSE BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKEY which is 50 - 60 years old. Perhaps 20% has evaporated. Drink it, Sell it, Dump it. Need some advice. Any Scotch Whiskey historians about?

Thanks and Happy Holidays To All!

IMG_5663.JPG IMG_5665.JPG IMG_5669.JPG IMG_5671.JPG IMG_5673.JPG

Baz9614 and ralpher like this.
  2. Canuck Dec 24, 2016

I believe the Scots call the evaporated contents, the "angel's" share. Leave it somewhere near the Christmas tree. Who knows? As for me, I'm no angel, but the bottle would have been empty shortly after I discovered scotch at age 19 (many, many years ago)!

ralpher and tapaptpat like this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 24, 2016

Scotch was made to be drank so get drankin.

ralpher, Larry S and boat2dan like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 24, 2016

Meet you at Ruth Chris, on the NJ side of the Hudson!

5. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 24, 2016

give it to santa leave it out with his mince pies

ralpher likes this.
  6. Edward53 Dec 24, 2016

86.8 proof?? WTF!! Drink it before any more evaporates!

7. Mothra Dec 24, 2016

Scotch stops developing once its been decanted from the barrels so I'm afraid it won't be anything special - just a v old bottle of a fairly savage strength blended malt. There may be a market for it, but i suspect it's the spirit equivalent of a fifties ladies watch...

Archer, Maximus84, ralpher and 6 others like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2016

Ok something I'm actually an expert in.

Few notes once in a bottle no more ageing. 2nd as a drinker it's toast. Vintage bottles are only worth money as a drinker if they do not have huge loss. Your bottle has suffered a large amount of evaporation which means the flavor is gone due to oxidation as well as the alcohol being lost to the angels.

It's worth money as a collectors piece but you can't sell it on eBay as it is still booze. As for that value... it's not really a hot brand from a blender that no longer exists.

Dates from 57 to mid 60's. Right place you might get $100 but with the evaporative loss most likely less.

I can ask around my collectors groups if you want.

Edited Dec 24, 2016
    Uniqez, ralpher, M'Bob and 1 other person like this.
  9. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 24, 2016

Post a video of yourself on OF drinking in "one sitting" THEN host a HODINKEE Style "talking watches (with whisky)"...

in great detail attempt to recall your purchases and talk us through the finest point of your collections You can have guest visits from disapproving or equally pissed friends and relatives..

This you may find is a new platform we are all ready to enjoy. "talking watches" is getting stale and you can totally kick it up arse..
    You will make millions from advertising, Possibly sell your soul a little as you can't HONESTLY write a review on a company that pays you millions yearly in advertising **obviously im implying nothing** (but it does not need to be Tudor) you may get a better offer Breitling maybe?
    And you can even get sweet whisky advertising deals!

Then ride that pony gemini ride that pony! Open "talking watches with whisky" bars / pop up events make millions! until you either retire OR die of liver failure

isaac.owen.nz, Jaacck, khmt2 and 7 others like this.
  10. Buck2466 Dec 24, 2016

I say you start drinking it heavily and then play drunk Santa Claus handing out your great collection of watches to us OF members as Christmas gifts. Who's with me? :D

Uniqez, ralpher, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  11. jimmyd13 Dec 24, 2016

Frankly, open it with friends and family ... if you do it at the end of a dinner, it doesn't matter if it's good or bad. There's no great value to it, I'm afraid ... doesn't mean it's not going to be fun, one way or another.

ralpher likes this.
  12. meganfox17 Dec 24, 2016

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2016

If anyone in SoCal wants to do this I'll provide the Scotch/Whisky/80 proof or higher booze and recording space. I've got enough unique bottles for a few hundred shows lol.

14. ulackfocus Dec 24, 2016

That's both :p :p :p and ::facepalm2::.

Wow, not only do I almost completely understand a stream of conscious post by FW, I think I agree with it too! It IS the season for miracles!

15. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 24, 2016

Perfect photographic backdrop for your late 50's Speedmaster's, Railmaster's,
    Ranchero's, Seamaster's. Make sure to include the glass half full.
    Cheers!

ralpher, gemini4 and Foo2rama like this.
  16. alam Dec 24, 2016

looks like a good option when a task for a disinfectant is on hand! :)

ralpher likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2016

Interesting history, the blend was mostly Lagavulin, which means it would have had a smokey character, which is somewhat uncommon for a blend. At one point it appears to have been owned by Glenlivet but is now owned by Diego with Lagavulin, while Glenlivet is with Pernod. It can still be purchased actually, and under review non evaped bottles are listed in the 300-500 range for drinkable bottles from that era. But I will stick with a valuation of under $100 for yours.

ralpher likes this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 24, 2016

If you owned a bakery you could ,kale specialized infused pastries and then sell them for $15 a piece because they have a "60 year private collector aged scotch in them" You only need a drop on each cookie and somebody will bite....specially if you sell it in Brooklyn.

Otherwise...I don't know.

ralpher and gemini4 like this.
  19. ulackfocus Dec 24, 2016

Wonder how it would do as a marinade for beef in stew?

Nobel Prize, ralpher and pitpro like this.
  20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 24, 2016

The cure for toe nail fungus?

ralpher and ahsposo like this.