Forums Latest Members
  1. simonscoffin Feb 5, 2020

Hi all, and thank you for the help I have recieved over the last few months with a couple of questions I have had.

Today I discovered this and it has an appeal to me, however I have questions. Firstly, images.

The watch (45mm?):
    $_57-1.jpg
    The caseback:
    $_57-2.jpg
    The movement:
    $_57.jpg

Doing a little research the Omega type could be correct for the period, I searched Art Deco on the forum and a few sales examples had that typography.

Everything else I am finding it hard to decipher. The movement has no markings, which having looked around can happen (unless I am very wrong?).
    omega-pocket-watch-movement-c1910_360_f2806caa7e4f6d2e76db16455656d7a7.jpg
    The size would indicate that if correct it maybe a converted pocket watch? I can also see that the hands are different shades and possibly the minute hand has been changed.

I suppose the question is. Is this just a big freak/franken watch that isn't even an Omega?

2. mac_omega Feb 5, 2020

It is a recased pocket watch movement.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. simonscoffin Feb 5, 2020

Which was my assumption.

In this scenerio would the face and movement have simply been placed into a wristwatch case, or are they 2 seperate pieces that have been placed together, or impossible to tell?

4. Vitezi Feb 5, 2020

There is an entire cottage industry of folks who repurpose old pocket watch dials and movements into new, large wristwatch cases and sell them on eBay. These are known as a "marriage watches" and have no value to vintage watch collectors who prize originality above all else

However, a caveat: In the late 1930s a few wristwatch manufacturers - most notably IWC and their famous "Portuguese" models - placed pocket watch movements into large (44mm) cases. Omega did this too, in the very rare CK2039. Find one of those, and you'll earn the envy of collectors everywhere

Als 27, DaveK and Tony C. like this.
  5. simonscoffin Feb 5, 2020

That was also in the title for the sale post, which now makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the education.

The CK2039, my pockets aren't deep enough, but exactly what I am looking for.