Forums Latest Members

4 Decades of Movado Chronographs

1. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Feb 19, 2017

So I got a little bored today and just decided to do a group shot of some of my Movados; the chronographs in particular. Hope you enjoy.

image.jpg
  2. Maybe Feb 19, 2017

Thanks for sharing! The older ones are more to my taste, I dont really know why though. The white dials of your chronographs are incredible.

Thomas P. likes this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 19, 2017

Beautiful group shot! Thanks.

If you are so inclined and have the time I, for one, would like to know a little about each one.

ahartfie and Thomas P. like this.
  4. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Feb 19, 2017

I'm more than happy to share my knowledge of Movado however limited it is. From the top left going clockwise:

Reference R9023: This reference is 18kt RG and is from the 1940s to the early 1950s. Like most of the other case styles with the Movado chronograph movements (90M & 95M) it was available in RG, YG and steel. This is a fairly rare reference though I have no idea of the production totals.

Reference 49068: This is my personal favorite reference. It was made in the 1960s and is 14kt YG. This particular watch I believe has a unique panda dial. I have spent many years researching this watch and have yet to see another anywhere. Again it was available in RG (though I have not seen one I'm going by the Von Osterhausen book), YG and steel. This case style (not reference) was also available with 2 registers (though I have yet to see one).

Reference 434-225-502: This Datron is a 17 jewel count El Primero powered 14kt YG chronograph. I believe production started in 1969 with the other Zeniths and ran through the early to mid 1970s. It is the most frequently found solid gold Datron.

Reference 6718: This Datron is again powered by a 17 jewel El Primero and is consigned Zenith. Unlike the previous one it is solid 18k gold. It is a heavy watch but wears well and as a matter of fact relatively thin on the wrist despite being an automatic chronograph. Production of this watch was sometime in the 1970s. Although some my think the color scheme of the dial doesn't work I like the metallic brown with the charcoal sundials. It is a really cool effect and good design from the 1970s.

Reference 49068: Like above; again my favorite reference this time with a silver dial.

Reference 49038. This 14k YG reference is the most common of the solid gold 95M Movados available. It was actually produced from the 1940s to the 1960s but I am considering this watch to be from the 1950s due to the dial style.

If there is anything further I can elaborate on please let me know. Also if anyone has any photos of other references, please send me a pm. I'm going to try to start a picture reference of all the references. Thanks in advance.

ahsposo likes this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 19, 2017

This is awesome Thomas. Thanks for sharing, I feel there isn't a lot of love for movado sometimes

Thomas P. likes this.
  6. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Feb 19, 2017

Thank you all for the kind words.

7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 19, 2017

Thanks for sharing that.

Thomas P. likes this.
  8. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Feb 19, 2017

You are quite welcome. Please understand that I am always learning as a collector just like everyone else on this forum.

9. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Feb 19, 2017

Adding the 6718 to my want list... love it!