Forums Latest Members
  1. m.martinez818 Feb 6, 2021

Hello everyone!

This subject might have already been done to death. However I am officially in the market to pick up a Speedmaster Professional. I know there is alot of pros and cons between either Speedy. however, which do you think would be the better buy? Keep in mind my wrist are on the smaller side, I had read the the 3861's bracelet tapers down the watch and makes it alittle more friendly for smaller wrist gents

2. MTROIS Feb 6, 2021

If price is no option, then the 3861, because the bracelet is a great upgrade.

Otherwise, only minor details and a 1861 is still a GREAT watch!

3. stevec14 Feb 6, 2021

For the smaller wrist the 3861 might be a good option as the bracelet end links pivot as opposed to sticking out. Makes it wear a little smaller

4. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 6, 2021

Personally, having both watches, and having the same 6.5" wrist size as you mentioned in the other thread -- the truest answer from my POV is that both really are great watches, and I don't regret owning both.

However, am I likely to ever wear the 1861 again? No.

Why? For me it comes down to wind-ability (my 1861 even after a year of daily use never seemed to get any easier to wind, and I honestly disliked winding it) and accuracy.

The 3861 is a pleasure to wind. I'm not getting a ton more grip on the crown -- though a bit more -- but the winding action is dramatically improved. Sounds different while winding. Feels much better with a lot less resistance. And I actually look forward to the morning wind-up!

The 3861 as mentioned in the other thread is holding steady at ~+1s/d since wearing it daily from Jan 12th to today. I don't recall off the top of my head what the 1861 was off by, but it was enough that I recall feeling the persnickety need to set it about every week or so. Is that a big deal? To me, honestly yeah, it always sort of annoyed me. I never took it in for an adjustment, so maybe they could've done something to improve that.

If I'm going to pay this price, it's got to kind of blow me away in the accuracy department from the get-go. The 3861 did that.

I seem to be in the minority here in saying that I don't like the new bracelet at all, so I had them remove it at the OB since I'm all about the natos.

So my real first world problem is that my true love, my Explorer 214270 mk II, is out for service, and I'm wearing the 3861 in the interim. I'm not so sure the Explorer will immediately resume its place as my daily wearer. The 3861 is that perfect, to me at least.

vintage hab likes this.
  5. w@tcher Feb 6, 2021

Owning 2 watches with 1861cal. (Speedmaster Professional & FOIS), i never had any issue with the accuracy.
    My Speedy is ~+4sec per day and my Fois is ~+1sec per day.

First of all, I would grab the 1861 with hesalite since it is geting discontinued and afterwards the 3861 with sapphire - having in mind that it will be available for many years...

6. DoctorEvil Feb 9, 2021

I've got a FOIS as well. It's always been running at about +8 secs per day which is within Omega's published specs. I'm impressed that yours runs at +1 sec per day. Has it always been like that straight out of the box or did you get yours adjusted?

7. VickMacky Feb 9, 2021

My 1861 is right at +2 a day. Luck of the draw I guess.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  8. gbesq Feb 9, 2021

You can’t go wrong with either, but you might want to consider a vintage model as a third option. There are plenty of caliber 861 Speedy Pros with tritium dials and handsets manufactured from the 1980s through 1996 or so that can be had for less money and which have more historical significance. And unlike superluminova, tritium ages beautifully.
    F88DDCE4-E304-4146-BAB2-C2C74506C2AE.jpeg

machamp6650, Pun, vintage hab and 2 others like this.
  9. w@tcher Feb 10, 2021

Hello,
    My FOIS was always running +1sec from the 1st day that i owned the watch.

My best friend owns a FOIS and Professional as well. His FOIS is running the same +1sec per day and his Professional +8sec per day.

We were both joking, if this happens due to the straight lugs...
    :)

10. DoctorEvil Feb 10, 2021

Haha. By the look of things Omega don't ensure that all calibre 1861 movements leave the factory regulated to the same accuracy. Luck of the draw which person puts your watch together.

w@tcher likes this.
  11. Eve Feb 10, 2021

I dont know how much more difficult it is to service a movement with coaxial escapement. But i can imagine that there are more independent watchmakers who can service the 1861. Maybe its worth considering, depending where you plan to service your Speedy.
    I would most likely choose the 1(861) or 1(863).
    My understanding, they can be regulated to a higher accuracy as well and they are reliable enough after being 50 years in production.

Pun and vintage hab like this.
  12. Rado63 Feb 11, 2021

If you are okay with the 42mm and not interested to pursue one of the smaller cased Speedmasters, then I would get the Moon watch with the 3861. The end links don't stick out as far, and the bracelet may be more comfortable, and you get the latest development of the manual wind movement.

13. machamp6650 Feb 11, 2021

Good point. My watchmaker loves working on 1861 etc movements but isn't a fan of co-axial, so ends up charging more for a base cal 2500 service than the chrono service. Add co-axial plus chrono and local service estimates might start to rise...

Eve likes this.
  14. Pazzo Feb 12, 2021

Did you say "might" ? ... :)

machamp6650 likes this.