Forums Latest Members

3861 movement broken? *Update: Read First Post*

1. stevec14 Sep 19, 2020

*UPDATE JULY 2021*

As is mentioned in the following post:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/3861-movement-broken-update-read-first-post.120071/page-11#post-1819733

Omega has made a modification to the 3861 movement by changing a bushing in the movement to a replacement made of a different material, and has also altered the recommended oiling procedure to remedy the issue. Within a short period of time all new 3861 movements should have that change implemented from the factory and any that do have issues should be covered under warranty and will likely be upgraded at the time of their first service.

*Edit by mods*

Hi guys,

I’ve been the owner of an Apollo 11 for 9 months now. Absolutely love it, but fear my watch is broken.

I noticed yesterday it was acting a bit strangely but today it seems like the movement has gone wrong.

1. every time I start the chrono, the chrono hand moves one second and then stops. At this point the whole watch stops

2. when I stop the chrono, the seconds hand in the subdial starts going again

3. sometimes the chrono hand starts to move again if I reactivate but then stops usually at about 20 seconds

4. This morning I reset the chrono and gave a full wind to see if the watch worked properly minus the chrono. It seems to, but I noticed by about 3pm (approx 5 hrs after winding) that it had lost maybe 10 seconds.

5. At 4.50 the watch stopped - so just over 7 hours since it had been wound.

6. I’ve re wound it and it starts again. When I activate the chrono it gets to 58 seconds (which is when I guess the minute counter is engaged) and then stops. As the chrono stops, the whole watch does again.

at the risk of stating the obvious, it would seem the watch is not holding power - but I don’t know whether the way the chronograph is acting is something to do with that. No issues winding the watch at all, and the watch has had no knocks etc.

whilst I realise the solution is to send to omega for warranty repair, has anyone had similar issues with the 3861, and does anyone know what may cause this?

it’s disappointing but there are a lot of worse things going on in the world, than a mechanical watch going wrong But am likely to be without it for a period of time I suspect.

If anyone knows what may be causing the issue, would be glad to hear. The chrono wouldn’t get past 20 seconds this morning and now it can do the 58 seconds. Very odd indeed.

cheers,
    Steve

Edited by a mod Aug 10, 2021
    owl. and jimL00dy like this.
  2. redzer007 Sep 19, 2020

I'd stop running the chrono, in fact I'd stop wearing the watch and get it serviced.

marco, connieseamaster and Pazzo like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2020

Hi Steve,

Are you fully winding the watch to the point where it can't be wound any longer? So it comes to a hard stop?

If this has a see through case back, can you post a large, clear photos of the movement?

Cheers, Al

Samir, Omega D and owl. like this.
  4. stevec14 Sep 19, 2020

Hi Al,

yep, full wind until you can’t do any more. Unfortunately it’s the steel and gold so doesn’t have the exhibition case back.

it’s going to be sent in as soon as I can get it to the appropriate place but If you have any ideas or have seen or heard of any movement issues it would be interesting to know.

cheers,
    Steve

5. stevec14 Sep 19, 2020

Yep, it’s off my wrist now. I’m going to let it run down and get it sent away

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2020

This is the first report I've heard of this movement having this sort of issue.

Typically is a chronograph is going to bind up, it will do so immediately. Once adjusted, they don't tend to drift to a condition where starting the chronograph will stop the watch. This is a symptom of lack of power based on what you have said. When you let the watch run down, let us know how long it actually ran for from the full wind. My guess is that it will stop short of the normal power reserve.

Cheers, Al

Samir, Omega D, owl. and 2 others like this.
  7. AntonisCy Sep 19, 2020

Indeed it's too soon for 3861's to start having issues... :unsure:

8. Meme-Dweller Sep 19, 2020

Thank you for your service in beta testing the 3861 before it officially replaces the 1861/3

Samir, cvalue13, TwinPeaks and 6 others like this.
  9. stevec14 Sep 19, 2020

Trust me, I wish it wasn’t having issues.

10. stevec14 Sep 19, 2020

Reading through some posts, @hansmaulwurf had some similar issues with his 3861.

did they ever say what was wrong with it. Seems a little similar in that my chrono gets to 58 seconds also (at least now)

11. stevec14 Sep 20, 2020

@Archer

Hi Al,

the watch ran for 4 hrs and 40 mins before stopping. The chrono was not running and reset to zero and the watch was left face up overnight.

In the morning , I pulled the crown out as if to hack and put back in but nothing happened. I then pushed the top right button to start the chrono. Nothing happened so pushed again to ‘stop’ and then pressed the reset button.

Upon pressing the reset pusher the watch started running again. I then pressed the top right button to see if the chrono would work and it did but only to 58 seconds again. Stopped chrono and reset and am leaving watch to run.

very odd - the watch seems to stop but then a fiddle with the chrono seems to ‘Unstick’ whatever is causing it to stop and it runs on again. The chrono still won’t go past 58 seconds however.

From yesterday’s experience, the watch when it stops doesn’t require a full wind to get back to where the watch won’t let you do any more. It’s seems to have power left, just won’t use it on its own.

I can’t get anywhere to send it in for a couple of days so will just continue to log it’s behaviour and see if I can get it to fully run down. From reading the thread our colleague above posted I don’t think omega ever gave any reasons - just repaired the watch.

jimL00dy likes this.
  12. stevec14 Sep 20, 2020

So now it ran for a further 55 mins and then stopped. Same again, engaged chrono (no response), stopped and reset - watch starts running again. Difference now is that there is no power to run the chrono - as soon as I engage it, the watch stops. Once disengaged The watch runs again.

13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 20, 2020

From what you describe, I had a very similar issue with my Speedy, cal 861 though. Symptoms was the same anyways.

My watchmaker changed the mainspring (only replacement I believe) and no problem after that.

14. stevec14 Sep 20, 2020

That’s what I’m thinking if I’m honest - not that I have any experience in such matters but the mainspring seems to be a common issue. i do find it a little odd that upon stopping an engage and reset of the chrono gets it running again however.

im going to take it into the AD today. I’d prefer to go to the OB in regents street as I believe they have a watchmaker there and if it is a simple problem I guess there’s a chance they could fix, but with Covid I’ve not been into London for 6 months so will just have to suck up a period without the watch.

15. stevec14 Sep 20, 2020

Watch back into the AD and being sent to omega. We will see if they explain what the issue is, or just fix it.

DSotW likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2020

If you can fully wind the watch to a stop, the mainspring isn't broken, so it's unlikely related to the mainspring.

Replacing the mainspring requires basically disassembling the entire movement, so when someone says that a watchmaker just replaced the mainspring, it was actually pretty much a full service, at least if the work was done right.

This could be anything from debris inside the movement, lack of proper oiling when initially assembled, and a bunch of other things. Unfortunately with a warranty situation, they don't often tell you what went wrong, and often they don't send the replaced parts back if there were any. But if you get any information or parts returned, please let us know, and maybe we can figure it out.

Samir, n_ko, KstateSkier and 7 others like this.
  17. stevec14 Sep 20, 2020

Cheers - I appreciate the reply. Let’s see what comes back. One thing is for sure, it doesn’t seem to be an issue that’s impacting many watches.

That said, mine was used as a daily. As was the other with the issue. I suspect many of the goldies and gold and steel sit in safes so it’s probably not clear how big an issue it may be.

cheers,
    Steve

jimL00dy likes this.
  18. YY77 Sep 20, 2020

Mine gets wound daily since aug '19, it's in a 4-watch rotation but I'm not using the chronograph a lot.

Edited Sep 20, 2020
  19. stevec14 Sep 20, 2020

Let’s see what omega come back with, if anything. Just unfortunate so never mind. I’m more gutted as it’s my favourite watch from years of collecting/ flipping and now am without it for an extended period.

20. Qristian Sep 21, 2020

I had almost similar problem with my four year old 1861 Speedmaster. It was serviced in Omega service Center. The watchsmith told me that in some parts in movement there was very little lubrication. This part was replaced among with winding crown. I don’t know what it is.
    6D4FD744-639D-4AD2-BAC7-4546D4182532.jpeg

stevec14 likes this.